SES_Adam

"153+154" - April 21, 2017

Woohoo! I have unlocked the Inhibitor! I just read about it on the wiki, about the different modes it enables for the terrain deformation tool. I am eager to try these but don't know how to switch modes. I have the Inhibitor attached to the deformation tool and have been trying different key combinations with uncertain results. Anyone?

16 hours ago, SpaceExplorer said:

I agree, having the ability to quickly progress and gather resources should be a choice the player can make himself. So +1 on bringing back Hydrazine Trade.

+1

Experimental version: I jumped straight to the experimental version so i don't have the issues with the printer and/or vehicle bay.

I haven't played in a while since there wasn't much change happening, so this is how i felt about jumping back in, which may or may not be directly related to this update.

Sandstorms felt very frequent. I love the idea but unfortunately if you are above ground, you are either hiding in a small hole or sitting in a seat or habitat... just waiting... i don't have any specific suggestions here but having to sit there and do nothing while the storm passes gets boring.

It's fun to throw stuff off a mountain side and then see them fall, then bounce, then freeze in place as it leaves my sphere of influence. I feel that with enough practice i might be able to create explosion scenes or similar that look like time has stopped and i can rotate my cam like it's the Matrix.

I really like the research changes. i don't feel like i've unlocked everything in an hour, there is a feeling of progression. I really dislike the random factor. With how long it takes to find research now, i feel like i would have a better time if i just deleted my game and started new if the first 3 research didn't give me what i wanted. Research is more work now so a better reward would be nice than something you don't care about at that point in time. If randomness is required, maybe allow us to influence the random. Say you make research chests have a type and all chests of type A result in a random blueprint from a small set list. Example, if i want to find power management blueprints, maybe those can only be found underground, or if i want vehicle blueprints, i have to look for research chests around space debris. I personally would prefer starting with power cells, then progressing to either small batter or small solar panel or small turbine or small generator (which can be random if it must) then progress to the medium versions of each and then i assume there may be large objects in the future which would be the final progression.

I really like the idea of the augment tool. Opening up the possibilities for our only tool is exciting, i can't wait to see more augments. i also like that i can use the augment slots as extra backpack space if i don't have any augments or are not using any.

Lastly, the Hydrazine. I just feel that aside from this being the only way to fuel space flight, it's a useless material. Yet there is a module dedicated to it's production. Maybe if you couldn't find Hydrazine and the only way to get it was the condenser. I don't really care about hydrazine being removed from trade platform, i just used copper and aluminum, which there are tons of in caves, to get what i need. So this is more about the fact that hydrazine is limited in usefulness than complaining that the game takes longer to play. You did say that things were ramp'ed up for speed to get more of the game tested so it should be expected for things to be slowed way down.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. 

Unless someone suggested this before, instead of researching through pods; I wish they take ideas from subnautica, for example we can have rover wreck scattered around where we can scan it to research it. Ofcourse, not all components have to be like that. Only Rocket ships, shuttle, dynamite, solar panel can be scanned from environment to give more realism.

e.g. http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Scanner 

Edited by Rahul

First, I agree the new algorithm is whacked; I played for HOURS and still need a printer. Freaking Hydrazine in a research pod? Ick!

But I do love this game. My son made me get it so we could play together, and it's a very good inter generational exercise.

I looked for a search feature so I could see where to drop this comment: I, along with the rest of the 6% of Y chromosome types, am kind of color blind, and much of the design change you've made is worthless to me (and the other 6%, which skews a little higher based on a predisposition for right brain folks who tend toward puzzle games). 

Please consider a future release with color blind mode. I have suggestions if you want them!

fuck_the_color_blind.jpg.e3ccbfe2bcb0c537c0f7019bc0ecf5d5.jpg

PLAYERS: add more buildings!! DEVS: Makes it harder to build the basic buildings

YEAH THAT NEW STUDIO WAS SO WORTH IT hooohoooo 

3 hours ago, kal said:

First, I agree the new algorithm is whacked; I played for HOURS and still need a printer. Freaking Hydrazine in a research pod? Ick!

But I do love this game. My son made me get it so we could play together, and it's a very good inter generational exercise.

I looked for a search feature so I could see where to drop this comment: I, along with the rest of the 6% of Y chromosome types, am kind of color blind, and much of the design change you've made is worthless to me (and the other 6%, which skews a little higher based on a predisposition for right brain folks who tend toward puzzle games). 

Please consider a future release with color blind mode. I have suggestions if you want them!

fuck_the_color_blind.jpg.e3ccbfe2bcb0c537c0f7019bc0ecf5d5.jpg

I am not color blind, so I can read it right away :D

But I fully support your case! Should not be too difficult to have some color sliders for design elements and even biomes as well.

7 hours of gameplay and still 3 items appear to be un-researchable

the habitat, the windmill and the truck.

collected en mass researchable items but still no luck. 

through accident i build a storage on a shuttle and well the shuttle is useless now, not even a dynamite can be attached to it to blow it up.

Once again, english isn't my mother tongue, so please, be nice with me. ;)

I play 7 h on patch 154 from Experimental and... I'm stuck again. I'm ok about exploring, really ok with that. As I've discover Truck blueprint and storage. I put 2 trucks together with triple storage and go for a road trip, looking for a specific chest from space debris (cube type if you see what I mean). I literaly run a world tour from Est to West, run through 5 storm, and find noting, it takes me 2 hours and can't find one chest from the type I was looking for. So I take other and diferent chests, more than 10 of them and go back home. And I get nothing more than ressources and filters.

So, I feel stuck on my planet, with no possibiliy of space exploration because I didn't find blueprint's space ship (no one of them). And... I'm boring again.

I think randomization isn't working because we need to discover blueprint in a certain order, otherwise, like me, if we aren't not lucky, we could get stuck in one planet. 

Btw, train with 2 vehicles is really annoying and not enough stable. 

So, I'll wait for the next patch and cross my fingers ! 

Hi,

been testing build 153 then 154, which is way better. Unlocking Vehicle Bay + Printer was a good idea and permitted to experiment the research update in a better way. I can tell now this update was a good idea. Nothing's easy and exploration has come with a great purpose now.

But.

It has its limits. I've been playing for several hours now, I've taken pleasure exploring the surface, caves, other planets in order to find new blueprints that would help me go further. It works. But for a certain time. Comes a moment when new research unlocks are really rare. You find brand new blocks with astonishing design, how great, then you get disappointed when it gives you resource, as if you already found this kind of research block before. You open a block you already saw before and you got, with a great amount of luck, a new blueprint.

Right now i've been spending an hour or two on the Exotic planet, farming research blocks with frenesy and I'm stuck. Not ONE single blueprint within that amount of time.

The idea is right but something isn't in its execution therefore the game has become kind of boring.

47 minutes ago, Ljorius said:

7 hours of gameplay and still 3 items appear to be un-researchable

the habitat, the windmill and the truck.

collected en mass researchable items but still no luck. 

through accident i build a storage on a shuttle and well the shuttle is useless now, not even a dynamite can be attached to it to blow it up.

Three items for me too, but not the same: solar panel, windmill and the building that converts energy to Hydrazine (Concentrateur de carburant in french). Oh, and the crane, forgot that one. That makes four.

Looks like the randomness needs some adjustments at that point of reasearch we reached you and me.

On 23.4.2017 at 5:42 PM, Stigmaster51 said:

1. What is "Oxygen" research?

Allows you to print the oxygen tank from your backpack with 1 unit of Titanium.

I completed a 9hr run of the Experimental release 154 and have to say I am very pleased with the corrections in reference to the issues from release 153. I did a live steam run of both of these versions the 153 meah, 154 Im excited and happy 100% on it.  I like that the printer was added back, and loving the fact that you have to research the things to be printed. I love that challenge to have to search for things, the reward in using what is found is awesome. 

Devs, you keep up the awesome work. 

Pacidgames. 

30 Hours into Experimental and I have discovered the greatest discovery of Patch 154... Its not EXPERIMNTAL.... Its MENTAL! 

I have opened 108 Chests which have unlocked

12 Techs,

14 Filters,

14 Power Cells,

19 Compound,

16 Copper,

11 Aluminum

And a smattering of other stuff.

Really.... Dev's 14 Filters and 14 Power Cells?

If I never see another one of those Id be happy as a Pig in fresh S@#t.

In general I like the Patch.... so far not a single Rover or Truck has Migrated to The Sky Lounge.....

I love the Augment that allows me to mow the lawn and make Organic fuel

I don't like the Hydrazine Trade lose but can live with it. It might be a good idea to make a 2 space Liquid Hydrazine Power Plant to run the bas and larger vehicles with would give more function to the poor unloved liquid Gold.

In the 42 hours of 153 and 154 play I have only unlocked 2 of the Augments.... which to be perfectly honest pisses the heck out of me.... you bring out something to give you game mechanics feedback and make it hard as crap to find.

If you are going to start the little Astroneer in a harder environment think about letting them unlock the basics first....

Organic Generator is needed up front.

in the 30 hours of 154 I was lucky to spawn in a Tree Environment and have covered approximately 33% of the surface and a small amount of the underground

I still don't have:

Organic Generator

Oxygen Tank

2 Augments

Lg. Solar Panels

Wind Turbine

I feel a Rant coming on so I'll just stop here.... looking forward to the next patch but think that 33 Chests since the last Tech is Fricken Ridiculous at its best and all 108 chest were on Terra.

On new patch my old 112 saves finally loaded...... but I lost all my research.

My build is Steam on Asus GL552VW with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M using Windows 10 64bit Home

I think there needs something like a research/science tree. Like in Kerbal Space. So if you do research of whaver items it will give your science points which you can then decide to put into special research items. I would also like to add special research items which can give you special items, like salvaged from wrecks will give you enhaced blueprints like a "super smelter" or a bigger ship, a more effective storage whatever. I would also add alien tech :-)

I play always without trade platform as of now it is just stupid with these fixed prices and why can't you just trade goods for science? This breaks the feeling beeing alone with just your capabiliies trying to survive...

Maybe it would also be nice to have a visual or other hint on the boxes/research items HOW big the probability is that they will contain valuable things. Or maybe you can craft/research an little device which will give you a "scan".

Carsten

Edited by calli
Edit ;-) Adding some stuff

Hey

I was off for few weeks and jumped straight into the 154 experimental version. 50-70 research items "opened" and all I got were few filters, fuckloads of hydrazine, but no big solar panel, no wind turbines, no rover, no habitat, no 'cool new terrain tools' . However, the first two thins I got were the shuttle and the spaceship. Needs an update :). 

What I really really like

• (parts) of the new research system. I spent about 6 hours and I am really trying hard to fetch research items and stuff to get what I want to have. Why do I like it? Well, in the older version you had everything after about an hour -- that was too easy! 
  • the new terrain tool (without the extensions) is a strong improvement. It allows to draw/build nice and accurate paths trough caves and mountains, thanks for that!
  • research needs more time, but the starting area has a very fair amount of compound and resin, which is nice. This means that you can concentrate on finding the sesearch items and not where to get these base elements (as I experienced in some of the latter versions of the game)
  • BUUMM. Using explosives on wracks and whatever comes in mind makes more fun than before :) 

What I don't like

• (parts) of the new research system, but too much words have already been spent on this topic here in the forum, so I won't say more than: needs some fine tuning :)

What I noticed

• I typically stick two nuggets to the side slots (where the small solar panels are typically mounted; don't need them underground, and have not got other things from the research pod yet) and now three nuggets to the terrain tool. If you die, these five elements are not getting lost when you die. Not sure if this is a feature ;).
  • If you place an explosive in the center of few plants (which are close together) they don't really care about that. Would be cool if one explosive could be used to e.g., kill a small group of 3-6 spikers or smokers.

However, great job development-team! Like it, go on! And I like how you respond in the forum and that you really take care what the alpha-testers suggest here. Which might be more time consuming than we users think :) 

All best,
Reto

Edited by reto

Hello ! So I just play some hours on the new 153, and then Exp.154 updates. And there is some really good improvements with your work. Specially the default terrain tool, because it's now really easier to make plane surfaces.

As others, I'm not fully satisfy with the new research gameplay : we have a lot of new items (with various shapes and colors) to research and it's really great to find a lot of this new things and that each new element give you a building (or an augment). But :

•  it's difficult to remember witch item you have already researched : when you find an item you have already done, it is always written "unknown". I don't like this point : I would prefer that the game tell us that this item have been researched (and so we know that if we put it in the research center, it will give us a resource, not a building blueprint). I think it's my main complaint now.
  • I'm not a big fan of randomization in the research : in 8 hours I think, I don't have access to the home pod building for example, and in the Exp.154 I have zero Augment at this time. Maybe other ways could be explored : a scanner as Subnautica ? Or a collector of science points in the research building (each new item research gives, maybe 100% points, and if you put the same item a second time, it give you, maybe 20 points, then third time, 10 points, then 5, etc. to 2 minimum), and each time your collector reaches or exceeds 100% points, a new random blueprint is unlocked ? So if you give items you already have, your search knowledge continue to grow.
  • Maybe the Augmentations has to be built in the Printer or in a new dedicated Building (so a research item will give the blueprint). By the way, if you die somewhere, you could loose you augments items and find them near the dead astronaut.

Another subject is, in the surface of the planet, when we run or when we drive, big parts of plants or some decorations spawn suddendy, not so far from me. This give a not so funny impression as if the video card was slow (it's a GTX 1070, so there is no good reasons) or that you don't print them too soon to speed up the display. But when a tree or a rock is not shown in the horizon and suddenly comes up, this give me the feeling that this need to be tune, to print the bigger objects, the plants further than now. I don't remember of that the previous Astroneer version I played (I don't remember, maybe in december or january).

In all cases, thanks for your good work in Astroneer. Have fun all !

(and sorry for my approximate english)

Marcimat.

Noticing that the Terrain Analyzer is not working on the Experimental 154 build. Other augments work fine. I have seen videos on how to use it (just start deforming and it fills up), but it seems to do nothing. :/

23 minutes ago, Nuinethir said:

Noticing that the Terrain Analyzer is not working on the Experimental 154 build. Other augments work fine. I have seen videos on how to use it (just start deforming and it fills up), but it seems to do nothing. :/

Never mind. It seems that once you get a Terrain Analyzer, don't equip it until you have located the color you want to get. I first got grey, so all it would collect is grey. I made another and it grabbed the shiny blue just fine. However, I am not sure if there is a way to reset them.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:40 PM, killerbake said:

any idea when 153 will hit windows store?

aww jeez rick.. ugh like... why do windows store users get the shaft?

berrp because morty... because microsoft morty. 

I made an account specifically to "like" this post. And to also add my drop in the bucket about "non tradable hydrazine is dildos" (to add another cartoon reference to the pile). Not cool. I now have 20 fairly worthless hydrazine. Oh, and just "discovered" it too. Yay.

On 4/23/2017 at 11:08 PM, Mordred478 said:

Woohoo! I have unlocked the Inhibitor! I just read about it on the wiki, about the different modes it enables for the terrain deformation tool. I am eager to try these but don't know how to switch modes. I have the Inhibitor attached to the deformation tool and have been trying different key combinations with uncertain results. Anyone?

The inhibitor disables the terrain changing function, so it won't dig, flatten, or add terrain.  What it will do is clear the existing terrain of rocks, stalagtites (mites?), etc. Surface resources (organics, power, oxygen) and the surface exposed deposits of of other resources will be collected. Once it is installed, it's "on" - the terrain changing function is immediately inhibited.

I found it was great for clearing out the big rocks and spires in caves to aid movement, and to grab up some extra O2 and power. The downside is that I haven't been able to figure out how to toggle it... if possible. Once it's installed you have to remove it to turn it off, and then stow it, so it effectively reduces the back pack capacity by one slot.