SES_Adam

"153+154" - April 21, 2017

so yeah upon further testing is seems to be the host only during storms being hit by rocks other players are free to roam around during the storm.... also spawning after death is in the ground beside habitat stuck can not move need to shut down game and restart to get free of groundn

I agree with most people here, not having the printer early, and instead get blueprints you cannot do anything with isn't fun at all. System Era, please prioritize Printer / Vehicle bay over other blueprints.

The other changes (like augments and the dynamite changes) are amazing though, thanks for that!

Edited by SpaceExplorer

2 hours ago, time_trial said:

I think it is too early to say it just doesn't work. If it was tweaked so that vehicle bays and printers were much more likely to come up before the things they create, then there wouldn't be much of an issue. You'd be able to focus on collecting chests that were helpful to what you want and could ignore those that will produce something you don't need. When it is entirely random then you have no way to focus, so the number of researchable items can't grow much higher, limiting the expansion of content in the future.

I think there will need to be a clearer way to distinguish between the resource categories and showing something useful other than "unknown" in the label for all chests will help.

I think this will be an improvement in the long run when the game has more content, but its just not quite right at the moment.

Yes of course with changes to the new system it might work but not in the current state. On Facebook someone wrote he played for 9 hours, unlocked countless research balls and still couldn't get a printer or vehicle bay. This is not only boring, it is frustrating.

ok, so i just rebooted back into the game - big plantlife is all grey now. where did the red and green colours go?

also, i just picked a purple 'dragon's egg' off a tree thing, put it on the researcher and it said "research:" but NO ACTUAL RESEARCH ITEM! i certainly havent researched everything yet - no truck or rover, for example - so why is it giving me a NOTHING on the research???

i repeat; ???

this game could well be broken, guys.

30 minutes ago, mikk said:

Yes of course with changes to the new system it might work but not in the current state. On Facebook someone wrote he played for 9 hours, unlocked countless research balls and still couldn't get a printer or vehicle bay. This is not only boring, it is frustrating.

I agree, that's not good. What I'm saying is the system needed changing before the content could grow and this is a start towards that. I think this system will get tweaked and will work better, and we won't want the original system when the game has more things to research.

My thoughts on the new game-play:

1. Now that the 3D printer must be discovered, it makes no sense to discover things that require the 3D printer.  Without the printer being discovered first, research provides no meaningful amount of progression to the player.  Not being able to print a winch, battery, solar panel, or other useful tools until you discover the printer just leaves an inexperienced player feeling like research is a broken mechanic.   I think this could be re-tuned to make research meaningful again, but it would require that the 3d printer (and possibly the vehicle bay) not be such random discoveries, but maybe tiered discoveries.
  2. Hydrazine and the Trade platform: Perhaps a happy medium would be that Hydrazine can only be traded for Compound and Resin?   After a while of play, looking for these two elements becomes very tedious and a grind if you already had to fight the new research system.  Or at least this could be a user configured difficulty level
  3. Dynamite changes: Seem to be good, no complaints here
  4. Augments: I never did get to unlock them, I spent most of my time trying to unlock the 3D printer
  5. Terrain Tool Adjustments: Very nice, very nice indeed

I've been playing the new release for 8 hours. Like many other commenters agree, the new research algorithm sucks. I've found 15 unique artifacts (and passed by dozens of copies of them). I've gone miles using hundreds of tethers. I've run as far as I could in all directions before having to turn back. I have yet to get a single truly useful recipe, other than the printer (which was also useless until I got the battery recipe). I've got three of the four augments, dynamite, the &(*&(& crane, filters, etc. I did, thankfully, find a dead astroneer so I at least got a spare tank and battery. I still have NO power source other than the small solar arrays. I have the shuttle recipe but no vehicle bay. I have no storage. I do have the trade platform but have no use for trades because I can't build anything. I have no vehicles other than the shuttle (but no bay to build it).  Steam says I'm at 163 total hours of game play and this is the FIRST time I quit because I was just grinding and literally piling goods like a junk yard. This is from 3 hours ago and I was already just passing ore in the caves because I had no use for it:

A9972D89DA3E2E2A63B6CAE756CC0470F00E1721

Getting a bunch of useless recipes first makes the challenge of finding unique artifacts idiotic. Decide if artifacts are going to be random or they are going to be unique. They can't be both. If they must be unique, then make sure the basic needs recipes happen first.  As you progress, the odds of finding a 'new' artifact drop quickly, and if that's the only way to get a basic recipe needed to function, no one will want to play.

Edited by malnaur

OK, so far there's been a lot of complaining. i expect the guys at systemera are used to that by now, and if they're worth their salt, they will be able to sift useful information from all the negativity.

but now, i thought i'd get positive for a change. the overall engine seems to run really smooth. no hang ups or frame rate disasters as of yet. things look nice, apart from the floaty stuff and the bleached plantlife. actually i'm beginning to really like the floaty stuff. it makes the stuff i dig up much easier to see, and can be advantageous. i liberated a hunk of space debris from it's burial place, and now it floats about house height over the landscape - helluva navigation landmark!

but here's the good news: i just built a rover and got to drive around the landscape, and let me tell you the handling on that vehicle is MUCH MUCH BETTER! really stable, but still kicks you around like a jalopy to keep things fun. the old rover i used to get really cheesed off with having to stop every few yards to turn it back on it's tyres. keep this vehicle handling, guys! when you do eventually get a vehicle, it's a damn fun ride!!

First off, I'd like to say I understand the changes to the progression arc. Making a game last longer and more interesting is always a good thing. Sadly these changes I fear don't accomplish either of these feats. for two reasons, first, It's not fun relying on a random encounter for a chest, second, hoping it gives you the researcher you need is frustrating. A fix for this would be increasing the number of chest/pods in the world slightly, then have it so you get to choose which tech you get, it would make it more exciting to find more chests/pods and encourage me to go find more. Giving more control to the players way he/she wants to progress is always a good thing.

Terrain augments are a great addition and should continue to be expanded upon. They cater to different styles of play which is great for replay ability.

Performance has improved over all, pop-in seems faster and framerate is better. Also the terrain tool feels more responsive and less glitchy

No longer falling through the floor and collision seems better.

Still would like to see better camera controls, feels clunky at times.

Haven't tried the new vehicle controls, but I assume it's less clunky as well.

Overall good update. Nice to see your willing to test the waters with big changes to things like progression. But as this thread will tell you, it's a bit much. Keep the updates coming.

Adding the printer and vehicle bay is pointless if there is nothing to print that matters. The entire set of weights is apparently broken in the randomization. I should not have gotten 12 useless blueprints out of the first 15 unique artifacts (and the other three were minimally useful). Please rethink the entire algorithm.

The lacking viewpoint of developers through this research overhaul is that we players do not always/everyday play ASTRONEER .  Maybe we forget everytime we load yesterday/last week played data that the information of connection between chest category and research category.  I think that ASTRONEER should be very casual title, so players don't want to leave such kinds of memorandum by ourselves.

In my opinion I relatively agree this research system, thinking that maybe we face that the number of researches increases more and more in the future.  So, I suggest to devs that, at least, players can view the history of the research, including unlocked research category and chest category, when players interact the research module.  I hope that players can view this through cool UI, like holographic visual !   Thank you.

good to know there's an update on the way. youre right to address the research weighting quick, it was making a lot of dedicated playtesters very upset. personally i dont think bringing the printer and/or vehicle bay forward is as important as re-balancing the randomization in general. it cant be correct that researching 30 things fails to give you important stuff like power cells or habitat.

when changes to the game make you stranded, then you have a problem. my situation: built up a base on Terran, but was getting nowhere with research because i wasnt finding any more different researchables in the area. so when i finally get the vehicle bay, i build a shuttle, load it up with fuel, load in enough compound and resin to make a small base for research, and set off for the moon [sorry, 'barren']. i know i can find different researchables there, because i always have - those spiky rock things etc. I get there, build my small base with research staation, set about looking for different researchables. except there arent any, that i can find. barren is now much more that, hardly any of the old stuff on the surface at all, and the tunnels crowded with spike pods that only put out one kind of researchable pod, long since researched. now i have a base on the moon i cant use, a shuttle that has spawned it's only base pointlessly, and a tedious future of hauling resin in tiny amounts if i want to make the base any more use. can't use the big space ship, that requires research  and i'm running out of researchables, which is why i went to the moon in the first place!

it's this kind of catch-22 that leaves players frustrated. all the first research pods should provide you with the stuff to reach out and look for more, but if core items for that exploration arent forthcoming, then you can't go any further before it turns into a tiresome frustrating grind.

one approach might be to have a core list of technologies and ensure that any new area moved into has at least one of these available from a research pod. that could encourage travel and exploration, and restore a sense of purpose to the play.

21 hours ago, ETwhisperer said:

Five hours and still no printer!  I get the slower game play, and the higher amount of time to research, but with no printer I can't do most anything I need done done. Have no way to collect material , and it forces me to research.. Ive gotten everything , trade platform , vehicle platform. Fuel compressor...all of them EXPECT the printer. I get ur all tightening up the research, but the essential podiums and platform to start the game with are research, smelter, and printer. The lack of printer makes it next to impossible . It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been to already all but one of the planets already. Just one guys opinion..... 

Over 13 hours in mostly doing research....still no printer.... None at all...

I've added this to the OP, but want it here so I can easily link:

"EXPERIMENTAL" UPDATE:

The EXPERIMENTAL build of the game on Steam has been updated with Patch "154".

You will not have access to this update on the main version of the game on Steam. You will need to opt in to the Experimental build of the game in order to help us test this update:

HOW TO JOIN THE EXPERIMENTAL BUILD OF ASTRONEER ON STEAM:

In your Steam library:

• Right Click on Astroneer
  • Properties
  • Betas tab
  • From the drop down select, "experimental - Latest untested builds"
  • Hit 'Close'
  • Steam should automatically grab that build. Once it's done, run the game. You're now running the Experimental build of Astroneer.
  • When you want to go back to the MAIN build, repeat these steps but choose "NONE" from the drop down list in 'Betas' tab.

We will be running this patch on Experimental until Monday/Tuesday (Apr. 24/25) of this upcoming week. At that time we will update the main branch of Astroneer on Steam, as well as have that be the version we push to Xbox 'Play Anywhere'.

NOTE: Your save games will not be compatible with the Experimental build of the game. When we push this update to the main build of the game your save games will (should?) still be compatible. You will be starting a fresh game whenever playing a new Experimental build.

This update mostly addresses the inability to Print objects or Vehicles after unsuccessfully being rewarded with their blueprints for Researching. There's 2 bug fixes included in this update as well.

UPDATES

• MEDIUM PRINTER base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games.
    You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
  • MEDIUM PRINTER  base module will include a SMALL SEAT blueprint, available for Printing. 
  • VEHICLE BAY base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games. 
  • VEHICLE BAY base module will include a ROVER CHASSIS blueprint, available for Printing. 

FIXES

• Fix for player colour/suits being wrong in MP after Save game is loaded.
  • Fix for DEADLY HEAT-SEEKING storm boxes

Good thing the heat seeking rocks were fixed. I was so surprised why they were specifically targeting me so I started recording it out of sheer shock.

Also, it's great how fast you guys are able to change things that we think need to be changed. Good sign for a dev team, good luck you all.

Huh. I didn't remember getting rover or single seat as research items in 153, but I had them. Maybe those were "Oxygen" and blank?

I've just installed the experimental, not checked yet. Any word of disappearing research?

I loaded an old save in 153 (my most played) and now I can't print most things. Things I already have. I cant print a new habitat to start a new base to find new research.

IMHO. Old saves should be given all plans. So old games become test areas for new things to build.

10 hours ago, jadedsoul said:

I have noticed in multiplayer that it throws all storm rocks directly at the host player only. Also the no trade of hydrazine seems a bit to far.....perhaps trading only for common items such as resin and compound at a 4-1 or 8-1 rate would be a fair solution.

I agree.  Or better, allow the player to choose before a new game launch what the game parameters will be!  :)

I'll have to say after playing this patch for a while, I do kind of like it.  But not full time.  I'd rather have a choice to play hardcore or not.

I'm probably misunderstanding the term Medium Printer, but 'medium' in what sense? A printer of media, or medium in size?

ok, i think you could add back in some of the starter blueprints, like the generator (PLEEEEEEASSE ADD THAT AS A STARTING BLUEPRINT!!!!! *cries for 3 minutes*) and the printer. that would save a lot of time and tedious walking across the globe.

New experimental  patch 154 working good, a few issues with the research items floating in mid air,  but mostly working a lot better. I am not sure what the balance is, but I do know starting with blueprint of printer is MUCH nicer than 15 hours plus without. Thank u for the quick fix devs. I will keep in feedback mode for this. 

I'm enjoying the experimental patch, but can't find any research anywhere, under trees or down in caves. Am I just not finding it or does this patch not feature it?

6 hours on EXPERIMENTAL and other than space debris cant find research other than a couple in the underground.... Starting with the Printer and Vehicle Bay took 4-6 hours of painful grind out of the punishment on 153,  but come on guys... fields of nothing but compound and resin and a bunch of space wrecks ..... put some trees and bushes and odd rocks and the like with research on or under them, I don't plan on putting 20 hours into not having the basics.

Suggestion Start the little guy off with the back pack generator......

I am glad that with Experimental I at the least have a barely functioning base during the day and a 3 rover train and lots of storage.... still no Trading Station, Fuel Condenser, Batteries, Wind Stuff, Truck, Spaceship, Solar Pads, and and and.......