SES_Adam

"153+154" - April 21, 2017

I've loved the game since it was first released, but I hate the new changes to research. First game, I searched but was not able to research a printer. Started a new game, searched and searched but still not able to research a printer. I am looking for an enjoyable sandbox game not a never ending grind. This is not fun. Please put research back the way it was and return the option to trade gas (or make it an option that can be turned on). I think i'll be taking a break from this game until this is hopefully fixed.

I watched ur promo vid and got so excited to play this new set up, even bought a 45 $ controler as I have been playing on my keyboard n mouse for over 4 months,. ALL THAT SAID, I now have over 7 hours logged ( half of that pulling research from all plants & moon)  and still no printer, no truck, and no ability to augment or store my stuff. I know u said ur difficulty level would be raised, but there's a difference between  challenging, and tedious. I want to play with the new tools, augmenters, and colors, but all I have is a 3/4 built base with hardly anything to show for it ! It should be a progressive stepping stone from one cool thing to the next , BUT it stopped feeling like a sandbox and started feeling like a job to do before I could play.  Also the inability to raise my guy off of the ground kinda sucks, but with the bigs, I get it, I LOVE ur game, and in 4 months I have packed over 600 mins on it! That is 100 hours, for a full time worker, and a father of severely handicapped kid, I have invested a TON in this, and I do because of all of the difficulties in my life. I do not wanna bring that hard core workstyle into my one fun escape for the day. Thank u all Devs for this awesome game u have made, but I do have to tell u what I feel on this idea. Ill share some vids and pics of bugs soon ! 

Okay, I thought myself the last person to go off on this game, and I'm the last person who thinks this game is bad. I love this game and I love you guys.

But this new research system is really bad. Really, really bad.

Me and a friend were playing for hours and we could not unlock the printer. We got nothing but blueprints for stuff we couldn't use and garbage like filters and power cells. We even got a recipe for oxygen. OXYGEN. We were stuck on terran hunting with nothing but tethers and beacons, we even used the glitch with the seat where you hold it and can essentially fly around wherever, and it barely helped.

The new system is also bad because it's even more confusing. Like, do multiple pods of the same type work now? Not from what we tried they don't. Some pods seem to overlap and researching one makes another no longer valid. And we still get random recipes as far as we can tell, only now there's a ton more and most of them either don't do much or just can't be used because they are late game tech which you can't make yet. Even though you guys tried to make it more consistent, it now seems like the exact oposite is what happened: It feels even more random and unlikely that you will get something useful.

And come on, pulling printer out from the base blueprints and forcing people to research it? Printer is an incredibly valuable tool that you will NEED if you want to make your base in any way more useful, and taking it away is like taking your ability to place blocks away in minecraft. That's not making the game harder, that's killing the progression of the game dead. Running around for hours looking for pods because you have nothing else to do is not fun; It wasn't fun before but it's even less fun now since it takes forever, if it's currently even possible. It's be fine if most of the blueprints for the printer weren't there, but no printer basically means no base. Again, that's not slowing progression; That's stopping it dead.

The fact that research pods are less common, the fact that some of them don't even seem to work, and the fact that you have at least twice the ammount of crap you need to unlock; All this adds up with basically every game stopping around the point where you have the foundation of a base, but with little storage, little to use your ever growing resources on, and no way to progress. Unless you get super lucky and finally get printer to unlock, you are stuck at a roadblock with no way to move on. There's nothing fun about that.

New vehicle handling is what I'm looking for the most. Really tired of having my truck flipping around for any small rock that bumps it, and believing it can fly every time I exit it to pick something up.

Excellent update quick question more of a concern than anything. The storms seem to now throw all the rocks straight at your character as opposed to being seemingly random flight paths.

I'm pretty much reiterating everything that's been said so far, but I'm here so I may as well do it.  I do have a suggestion for you that I think could make the research a lot more "fun."

The new research is horrible.  The only aspect of this game that ever felt like it was a grindy chore was the old research system and you've made it far worse.  It's unplayable now.  Even if you made it so that the important things like the printer and vehicle bay came out first every time, it's still a ridiculous slog with the severely decreased amount of research chests.  I've been trying to get one of my old save files (with it's old worlds that have the old amount of resource chests seeded) back up off the ground and I've been at it for hours.  I still can't make a habitat, so I can't start a base on a new planet, I haven't been able to try out any of the new tools except for the wide one, and I'm still missing the printer, big solar, and big wind vane which only hasn't been a problem because my bases are already built.  And that's starting on the exotic planet with like 100 chests within walking distance and a bases that have a proper amount of power/batteries already.

I've got another save file that's stuck now because I went to a new world, planted my habitat (before I noticed that you removed all of my existing research) and now I'm stuck there with no new research chests AT ALL and I can't make a new hab to take off again (the 1-seat doesn't work on this ship because it has double vehicle storage).  I tried a new game for like two hours, found something like 20 chests, and could build NOTHING except the wide tool.  The other ~6 things I researched were stuck behind the printer/vehicle bay roadblock.

Not being able to trade hydrazine makes things take longer, but I don't have a big problem with that.  I can see how the infinite loop thing needed to go, although you haven't made anything more challenging, just more of a chore.  You need to completely remove hydrazine (and the equally worthless filters/power cells) from the research chests though.  It's a worthless resource now and it seems like it's all I get as a booby prize when I open yet another duplicate research chest.

ACTUAL SUGGESTION:

There's nothing fun about scouring a planet for hours to find a new/rare research chest and getting a worthless recipe or, with the new update, nothing at all.  Change the research to be more of a currency kind of thing where you get to choose the research you get.  Completely remove the random aspect of it.  Something like every chest you open gives you a certain amount of research points and you click arrows on the research building (like a printer) to spend the points on the recipes you actually want.  You can make it so that the more times you research the same type of chest the less research points you get so that people are still encouraged to explore and discouraged from just researching 100 of those red/green spiky ones that live under every plant.  People will still spend tons of time to unlock the whole research tree and they'll still feel that sense of progression as they unlock things (even eventually the stuff they don't need because that's what people do), but at least they won't be crippled while they do it because the RNG said they weren't allowed to have a truck or storage yet. 

Either way ... you absolutely need to revert how common the chests are.  Even with 125/131 world with a ton of chests around and a fully functional base, I'm still crippled on research after hours of popping them.  I don't see how it's even remotely possible on a 153 world. 

Let me start off by saying Thank You! for the new update.... it has some cool stuff going on in there.

Sad part is I got home and went into 12 hours of Absolutely Brutal Space Survival play time...... 12 hours in and I still don't have a Vehicle Platform yet truck/Shuttle /Space Craft are all unlocked. The first unlock was Fuel Condenser which is useless until you have a spacecraft. It took 6+ hour to get Batteries for Base Use.  I covered half the planet on foot and haven't unlocked half of the known list of things. 

Suggestion.... when a Chest (looks more like a space nut) is opened make what ever platform that is required too use it open also....

I would have been fine with doubling the cost of the trade platform/exchange but just killing it was a shot to the head...... on some planets its the only friend you have.

Do I feel like 12 hours of wasted of time..... Not at all!..... I think this is part of Pre-Alpha/ Alpha Testing that has to happen before general sale to the public....

My suggestion is in the next week put out a patch with 4 times the Chest'Nuts  and I really miss the trees.

It hasnt updated my xbox/windows version of the game on either my console or pc, couldnt find anything saying whether or not the update would come later for me so not sure

44 minutes ago, MyTruckFlies said:

It hasnt updated my xbox/windows version of the game on either my console or pc, couldnt find anything saying whether or not the update would come later for me so not sure

The update for Xbox One and the Windows 10 Store comes next week!

OK so like most I really not like not having printer! I get the idea of forcing players to do more exploration and slow paced game. It was my style from the beginning :) But without a printer it is really really annoying. So please bring back printer as one of beginning platforms.
The lack of Vehicle Bay is not affecting me so much. I think if we will have printer from the start and divide vehicle bay into two separate bays - one for land vehicles and one for spaceships. and make the "SpaceBay" hard to get (4 example except finding research for it you will have to find research for "landVehicleBay" and than upgrade it using some hard to get stuff). That way in some point players will be able to move around the planet quicker, but not jump to another planet right away.

and please bring back ability to elevate using terrain tool.

Same as a few of the other commenters, I've been playing a couple of hours and haven't been able to find a printer or vehicle bay, despite getting research pods to unlock things like storage, shuttle, and solar panel. It strikes me that a good way to get around some of these early progression headaches would be to only unlock techs after you've already unlocked the thing you need to build them. Like, for example, you rolled the large solar panel, but don't have the printer tech yet, unlock the printer instead and leave the solar panel for another pod.

Edited by Ninetailed

16 hours ago, s1lver said:

Great news guys!

I was wondering if the MP problem regarding traveling to other planets is now fixed. I play with a friend and we couldn't explore other planets because the game just refused to load a lot of things for the "non-host" player, like for example I couldn't tether at all or pick up anything, and most of the terrain just wouldn't load for me... 

Just quoting myself to know if anyone has tested this..

there's a lot of bad feeling in this thread about the new research progression. hafta say i get that, cos i spent hours of researching pods before getting the printer, and that did seem really harsh. perversely, when the printer did show up, i had tons of previously researched stuff and unused resources from my hours of pre-printer play, so i then just spent ages going to town fitting my base with solar panels etc. ultimately i got to the same spot in the same time, only instead of being a smooth incline of development, it was a straight line, followed by a big shoot upward. it didnt make me spend more time in the game, it just made more of the time i spent there more tedious.

also, i too have struggled trying to work out which research pods are 'new' and which arent - ive researchs stuff that looked completely different that just gave up a booby prize. i can't keep track of all these shapes and colours at the best of times, but apparently that wouldnt help anymore. my suggestion would be this; have every new iteration of researchable pod either glow or have some other kind of identifier on it. would make progress a bit easier, you could ignore lower level stuff then if you wish. honestly this 'fruit machine' aspect of the game is the least enjoyable thing about it in my opinion, and anything you could do to mitigate that would help a lot. perhaps you could research an augment early on that helps identify 'virgin' research pods?

5 hours of playing and still have no:

1)Printer

2)Truck

3)Trade platform

When i try to load old saves with unlocked reserches - printer not worked, his blueprints was not listed. 

Good news: perfomance is really higher then in prevous version

4 hours ago, Kweezy said:

Excellent update quick question more of a concern than anything. The storms seem to now throw all the rocks straight at your character as opposed to being seemingly random flight paths.

YES YES YES ! I also noticed this, but was so frustrated that I am 7 hours in with no printer, I forgot to mention that this is another issue. This is fine IF YOU INTENT is to make people hide or die in storms. I used to be able and try to tuff out the storms if I was in a hurry or running low on Oxygen, but now no way to do that, both times I tried, i died QUICK lol. 

7 minutes ago, Stigmaster51 said:

5 hours of playing and still have no:

1)Printer

2)Truck

3)Trade platform

When i try to load old saves with unlocked reserches - printer not worked, his blueprints was not listed. 

Good news: perfomance is really higher then in prevous version

7 hours, no truck or printer or storage, BUT trade platform was the 1st thing I researched. 

Hi System Era and fellow Astroneers.
I have 150 hours in this game since the start and have vent trough all patches on the way so I was looking forward to a new update. So far I’m about 5-6 hours into this update with a new save. So far the performance seems better (single player only tested). I’m playing on an old hi-end (steam). Thankfully only frame rate has been an issue before this update.
The research is definitely much harder now. It could be all right if you get what you need in the right order. But now it is broken, as others have pointed out. So what have I accomplished in 5 or 6 hours of playing the new game update. I have used all my skills to find research “chests” as they now “officially” seems to be called. With that knowledge or luck I seem to have gotten further than some of the other Astronners. I have found about 2/3 of the “chests” by now and as others have experienced still missing essential blueprints. As others got the vehicle bay and printer late, this makes exploration hard. The printer has limited use however since I could only print one thing I needed (big battery).

Still missing:
Stations:
-Trade station

Printable items:
-Habitat
-Big solar panel
-Wind generator
-Small storage racks

Backpack creation:
-Oxygen tank
-Small battery
-Organic generator
-Augment inhibitor

As I only care about making flat surface and even ramps none of the Augments have interest to me. But the nice thing about this game is that it can be played in different ways as the player wants. There are some essential items in the list above.  They are much more needed than winch, crane, dynamite, drillhead, coal generator and augments. So please give blueprint sequence a priority. Of the rare items or artifacts I have found none except for Coal.

So where have I been to come this far. Level 1 caves, level 2 cave (the open surface type) and level 3 (the dead ends). Several Terran space wrecks. Barren, (all 3 landing spots) which real barren on this game with no research found. Also several spots on exotic, did set up a research platform from Spacehip. And under all rocks and plants.

Bugs or strange so far:
-Small solar still gets deformed (only one)
-Problems with erratic small wind and solar on truck
-Floating chests, seat, rocks and plants
-Still some terrain tearing at distance (only lines, with GeForce ) but, fine when close.
-Can’t build a pillar when standing on it?
-Got batteries and filters as a resource but no blue print (got blueprint later)
-Got small battery blueprint, but can’t make it (don’t normally use it)
-Researched oxygen???

Thanks for the update, but make a new patch soon.

20170422121629_1.jpg

20170422135248_1.jpg

Astroneer was a game for the mass and casual players. By doing the research so time consuming if not impossible, they are going into the wrong direction. Based on the comments here it is obvious that the new system just doesn't work. I doubt new players will enjoy this research system after a while if they cannot build a vehicle bay and printer within 1-2 hours to make further progress. They have to consider that most players here are most likely experienced Astroneer players, new players will be even more lost from the new system. I hope they revert this thing to the previous patch as soon as possible and don't wait another full month for an update.

A good example is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/361420/discussions/0/1318835718936211131/

Edited by mikk

21 minutes ago, mikk said:

Astroneer was a game for the mass and casual players. By doing the research so time consuming if not impossible, they are going into the wrong direction. Based on the comments here it is obvious that the new system just doesn't work. I doubt new players will enjoy this research system after a while if they cannot build a vehicle bay and printer within 1-2 hours to make further progress. They have to consider that most players here are most likely experienced Astroneer players, new players will be even more lost from the new system. I hope they revert this thing to the previous patch as soon as possible and don't wait another full month for an update.

A good example is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/361420/discussions/0/1318835718936211131/

I think it is too early to say it just doesn't work. If it was tweaked so that vehicle bays and printers were much more likely to come up before the things they create, then there wouldn't be much of an issue. You'd be able to focus on collecting chests that were helpful to what you want and could ignore those that will produce something you don't need. When it is entirely random then you have no way to focus, so the number of researchable items can't grow much higher, limiting the expansion of content in the future.

I think there will need to be a clearer way to distinguish between the resource categories and showing something useful other than "unknown" in the label for all chests will help.

I think this will be an improvement in the long run when the game has more content, but its just not quite right at the moment.

I have noticed in multiplayer that it throws all storm rocks directly at the host player only. Also the no trade of hydrazine seems a bit to far.....perhaps trading only for common items such as resin and compound at a 4-1 or 8-1 rate would be a fair solution.

Yeah, not gonna lie but Hydrazine farming was kind of what was drawing me into the game as a base builder game because it's fun to actively manage something and see results from that. Especially once you start expanding to multiple bases. Now my printer, which I already have, won't even work and hours of work were now wasted. Kind of regretting my purchase now.

4 hours ago, jadedsoul said:

I have noticed in multiplayer that it throws all storm rocks directly at the host player only. Also the no trade of hydrazine seems a bit to far.....perhaps trading only for common items such as resin and compound at a 4-1 or 8-1 rate would be a fair solution.

single player too, 

One thing I noticed as I had to quit the new update, and went back to my old game, and now all of my past saves lost ALL OF ITS RESEARCH !! I have a game with great bases in all the planets, and I can not print out a simple battery now without researching it again !?!?!? Why did I loose my past research ! 

also, i am still losing mined resources through the terrain if my backpack is full and the tool is at the 'wrong' angle - they just pop off straight into the planet. what a waste. and this was something that should have been fixed two updates back.