SES_Adam

"153+154" - April 21, 2017

The AUGMENT & RESEARCH CURVE update is "Patch 153", a pre-alpha update for Astroneer.  (version 0.3, build 0.3.10153.0)

This update focuses on two major updates, but also includes a large selection of features, general updates, and fixes to the game.

The two primary goals of this update were to introduce you to Augments, which Aaron writes about on our blog today.  And changes to what we call the Research Curve (how the game rewards you for researching things as an Astroneer) which Samantha wrote about yesterday.

We recommend you read both blog posts in addition to the patch notes to fully understand the changes this build brings to Astroneer.

NEW FEATURES

• Added tool augment system: Augment items can be attached to tools (starting with terrain tool) to upgrade or change behavior
  • Terrain tool can now be interacted with when backpack is open in order to slot in augments.
  • New unlockable augment items!
    • Terrain analyzer: Collect terrain of a particular material/color until meter is full. Once meter is full, adding terrain will use the equipped color, and subtracting terrain will filter on the equipped color.
    • Wide mod: Increases the size of the terrain tool brush while decreasing intensity.
    • Narrow mod: Decreases the size of the terrain tool brush while increasing intensity.
    • Inhibitor: Shuts down functionality. Applied to terrain tool, turns off adding/subtracting terrain, but maintains color changes and harvesting.
  • Complete overhaul of equipment unlock progression. Specific equipment unlocks are now dependent on researching certain types of chests while retaining some randomization.
  • Steeper difficulty curve: Fewer types of equipment are available at the beginning of a new game, requiring more chests to be recovered and researched to acquire everything.
  • Research chests are less common overall.

GENERAL UPDATES

• Hydrazine no longer tradeable at trade module.
  • Backpack now opens to one side, if space is clear, to support tool interactions, and clear the view ahead.
  • Backpack gets illuminated when opened to aid visibility in dark areas.
  • Default terrain tool brush size and intensity adjusted.
  • Terrain tool now adds grey terrain when no augment mod equipped.
  • Terrain brush now indicates color
  • Added an interaction indicator between the Astroneer and held items.
  • In multiplayer, the indicators of other players are now visible and receive the accent color of that player.
  • Dynamite explosion power and radius now increases when multiple dynamite sticks are packed together.
  • Mellowed out camera behavior when backpack or terrain tool is out.
  • Updated vehicle code to increase stability.
  • Added new VFX for deformations.

FIXES

• Performance: Several significant improvements to key physics systems to improve CPU perf.
  • Bug: Fixed crash on load of some saved games.
  • Bug: Fix many objects falling through the world when unattended.
  • Bug: Fixed foliage floating in air after dynamite explosion.
  • Bug: Fix tethers disappearing on quick-stow if top-left backpack bundle is full.
  • Bug: Fix tethers not being placeable while sprinting.
  • Bug: Fix Astroneer's head remaining cocked until cursor is moved to a forward position.
  • Bug: Fix auxiliary slot items not automatically equipping to backpack auxiliary slots when printed.
  • Bug: Fix item unlock messages not replicating to all clients in MP.
  • Bug: Fix various MP desync issues.

Patch 154
This update mostly addresses the inability to Print objects or Vehicles after unsuccessfully being rewarded with their blueprints for Researching. There's 2 bug fixes included in this update as well.

UPDATES

• MEDIUM PRINTER base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games.
    You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
  • MEDIUM PRINTER  base module will include a SMALL SEAT blueprint, available for Printing. 
  • VEHICLE BAY base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games. 
  • VEHICLE BAY base module will include a ROVER CHASSIS blueprint, available for Printing. 

FIXES

• Fix for player colour/suits being wrong in MP after Save game is loaded.
  • Fix for DEADLY HEAT-SEEKING storm boxes

There is another big performance boost in this version, especially in my old worst case save.

Save 1/Save2

V125/V131/V153

30 fps/44 fps/81 fps

43 fps/90 fps/112 fps

Compared to V125 this is a 2.6x-2.7x improvement for me.

52 minutes ago, SES_Adam said:

Hydrazine no longer tradeable at trade module.

Damn, this just makes things way harder than they need to be. I mean, I'm all for letting people slowly build up their base and technology via exploring if that's how they want to do it, but limiting the players that want to build crazy things is a bit unfair. Especially since you trade at 1/2 value, essentially meaning that not only is there now a finite amount of materials that you can have per save game, but trading anything will cut that amount in half. The hydrazine was able to be created freely, meaning that you had endless materials if you spent time on it, but now the game is quite limited.

All griping and groaning aside, the game does indeed run a bit better now. I would still like to see a way to turn down the brightness though, as whenever the game is up I feel blinded by the high-contrast worlds. Maybe add a 'helmet visor', basically hit a key and it auto-reduces brightness and contrast by 40-60% (assuming in game menus are still too tricky to code).

Great news guys!

I was wondering if the MP problem regarding traveling to other planets is now fixed. I play with a friend and we couldn't explore other planets because the game just refused to load a lot of things for the "non-host" player, like for example I couldn't tether at all or pick up anything, and most of the terrain just wouldn't load for me... 

So looking forward to the end of this work block so I can sit down and get my teeth into this update. Great work Dev's, cheers to you all !

So far so good, the only thing I've encountered (as if this writing) is that objects like research chests and debris have started to place themselves in the air when you take your leave their area.

• Steeper difficulty curve: Fewer types of equipment are available at the beginning of a new game, requiring more chests to be recovered and researched to acquire everything.

think you overdone this one a little by not giving us a printer & vehicle bay   :)

Copy-paste from Steam, just in case :

Ok. Just tried a new game for a short time, to see how this research update was going. I think you're going (partially) in the wrong direction with this (i'm only talking about the Research, not tried the added tool yet, which look fun). It's probably in big part due to the printer / vehicle station engine being removed from the start (ouch!..).

I dont mind having more research to do. Is it fun...? hmm... maybe for new players, it can. But if i have to make kilometres by foot with my chests, just because i haven't found the vehicle station research early, it's going to be pretty boring pretty fast. If you want to make things "more fun", you have to avoid the repetitivity, and it looks like you risk to go into a bad repetitive corner with this research thing.

There's a balance to find here, and i think you've gone too hard with this patch : 
only 2 modules to start, research going random and harder, no more hydrazine trade (which needed a clear nerf, and yes, it was absurd in the first place, but now you need to add some use for this hydrazine or it becomes a pretty useless ressource, unless you move from planet to planet every 2 days).

I think you have other ways to make the game harder AND funnier at the same time (which is probably the good direction). 

Keeping faith, still an amazing game, with colossal potential! Keep the good work, guys!

Edited by Le Dru

OK, definitely harder.  Which makes me re-iterate the game MUST be dial-able, or in other words customizable.  I get some folks want it much harder, and it should be for them.  But some will want just an escape game.  Astroneer has the possibility of being both.  Being a sandbox game makes it easily comparable to Minecraft, which is crazy customizable even before you go as far as 3rd party customizations.  If Astroneer want's to be comparable to games that fit as many players as possible (in other words MORE SALES!) then it must fit more players and be able to allow minute if not drastic changes in the game play.

A simple example would be, while I agree with removing hydrazine from the trade ability, why not also allow it.  Just at 1/2 or 1/4 of the level it was before, and only for some items, not all.  And, change the rate of appearance of things, like researchables.  I noticed in this update very very few trees have researchables where before almost all had them.  Let the player choose what rate they appear on trees.  Heck, if you decide to build a sandcastle, shouldn't you also have the ability to choose whether to use the garden hose on it or not?

Let the people have the ability to enjoy or not enjoy the game more.  Make it dial-able.

Five hours and still no printer!  I get the slower game play, and the higher amount of time to research, but with no printer I can't do most anything I need done done. Have no way to collect material , and it forces me to research.. Ive gotten everything , trade platform , vehicle platform. Fuel compressor...all of them EXPECT the printer. I get ur all tightening up the research, but the essential podiums and platform to start the game with are research, smelter, and printer. The lack of printer makes it next to impossible . It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been to already all but one of the planets already. Just one guys opinion..... 

I predict the next version is less than 1 week.  The difficulty was dialed a too high, and the complaints will probably be too much.  Hey, Era team!  Instead of "testing the waters" for what difficulty to make the game, just make it user configurable!  :)

Edited by Nargg

Well, 2 and 1/2 hours, 4 different caves, 200 teathers in all directions, research gave me battery, dynamite, power cells, filters, shuttle, etc... but no printer, no vehicle bay, not one module. I'm tired of those caves, honestly, and of bringing back those research chests without vehicles. I'm done for now...  

Be very attentive to new players's opinions in the days to come to see the amount of frustration coming from this hardcore update.

Oh, and last but not least, very disappointed by a nerf you didn't mention: can't elevate yourself with the terraform anymore. Not only it was fun, but also extremly practical in different ways. Maybe it produced a few bugs, but it was so worth it IMO. 

53 minutes ago, Le Dru said:

Well, 2 and 1/2 hours, 4 different caves, 200 teathers in all directions, research gave me battery, dynamite, power cells, filters, shuttle, etc... but no printer, no vehicle bay, not one module. I'm tired of those caves, honestly, and of bringing back those research chests without vehicles. I'm done for now...  

Be very attentive to new players's opinions in the days to come to see the amount of frustration coming from this hardcore update.

Oh, and last but not least, very disappointed by a nerf you didn't mention: can't elevate yourself with the terraform anymore. Not only it was fun, but also extremly practical in different ways. Maybe it produced a few bugs, but it was so worth it IMO. 

I'm at six hours, no printer still... I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Had almost all things researched before researching printer and vehicle bay.  Made for a difficult game - 5 hours in.  Being unable to trade Hydrazine for even resin and compound made for a much harder game.  I'm currently 45 minutes in on a drive trying to find enough compound to finish building my first spaceship to go to my first new planet.

Doesn't anybody want the game to be configurable to the player's desire or style?

Edited by Nargg

5 hours in and still no printer. I have visited over 6 crash sites, and brought back at least 4 pieces to research from those (not to mention the 40 or so other research pods of other virieities) and got only the teraformer upgrades added to this release. I seem to have been lucky though compared to others. I got the vehicle bay about an hour in. 

Very frustrating to have no storage for my piles of stuff, no batteries, etc. If the printer and vehicle bay could be prioritised over gun upgrades, that would be great. as is it is extremely frustrating and took the joy out of the game for me. If you can optimise so that someone completely new to the game can always get the printer and vehicle bay (maybe make the truck / spaceship really hard to get), within 2-3 hours nearly always, I think that would be a good comprimise.

That, or label the pods with what they will research, at least for the important stuff (otherwise have 'random'). 

Another thing that makes this research grinding a pain that sucks the fun out of the game, is having no idea what you've already researched. if a pod could be labeled 'researched' or 'random material' once it's been researched, it would help with players dragging pods halfway around the globe just to find out they had already researched it. This is somthing that in my opinion, MUST be fixed, the labeling, somehow, of previously researched pods.

Another thing this led to, with treks acorss the globe in search of the elusive printer pod, was it is quite easy to get lost. I deliberately killled myself a few times so I could get a ride in the rocket and find out where my vehicle was in relation to home. if you could make a 'satallite view' mode that allows this view without drastic measures, or a persistant 'home' direction finder, it would make getting lost much more bearable. (also labeling beacons)

as for the hydrazine no trade,  I think it's appropriate. I used to abuse the hydrazine farm in the past, and simply needing more energy didn't nerf it much.  in fact I would be ok with a 'hydrazine tax'. needing to use 1 hydrazine to power the lander. (and 1:1 trade rates). 

Now that hyderazine is nerfed, It would probably be appropriate to allow / encourage hydrazine farming for actual exploration. If we could configure the condenser to run whenever all other bases are full, there is extra power, and their storage slots are full, that would be much appreciated. (maybe a plugin module for the bases like you have on the gun, works if placed on storage connected to base, or have a special place for these modules on the base?)

overall, tldr, game imprivements:

•  label previously researched pods so researching that one last thing, or important thing, doesn't become tedious.
  • make sure the printer / vehicle bay can be researched early in the game, before smaller upgrades. (making things like the truck / spaceship, and large battery hard to research would be acceptable comprimise. gotta have my storage and some transport.)
  • allow the labeling of beacons
  • allow a way for players to always find their way home
  • also, deleting / undoing bases. please? pretty please? is it really that hard? selecting the wrong base or accidentally putting resin where it shouldn't go is not somthing that should doom you.

bugs: 

•  If you are backed against a wall or incline in a way where the 'mined' plug is passing through the terrain face, and your inventory is full, the plug/resource will always fall through the terrain when it is finished being mined.
  • If the smelter inventory is full (4 ore on smelt rack, no storage modules, 4 items on all side plugs) the smelter will make the ore it's smelting dissapear. They don't pop out and freefloat sInce it can't put them anywhere, they are just gone.
  • after expanding a pad and putting 1 resin on it to materialise it, then doing the same off the just made pad. makes the resin outlines on the first pad go away. ... until the game is saved and reloaded. then all resin outlines are back on all pads.
  • research pods like to float up when an area is reloaded (go out of render distance and come back). they fall back down when bumped/grabbed.
  • rovers that are chained together after the lead rover will not self right like when you get into the 'train'. This is a probllem beacuse they are extremely prone to tipping over and the only way to right them is to dig a hole on the side and drive forward, and not even that works most of the time.

While we're talking about rovers. literlally every other game with vehicles and wasd control ignores the mouse for this control. ws is straignt forward and back, ad is turning. that's it. That's how you control vehicles. Tying vehicle control to the mouse is clumbersome beacuse it makes it impissible for example, to back up. You can't look back or your rover flips around and does other undesirable crap. Please limit rover inputs to wasd. The mouse is only useful for camera in this case. (at least have an option!)

Edited by Teslafly
fixed typo