ROLL TIDE

lost an found game saves

6 posts in this topic

build: 0.2.10131.0

xbox one

game saves disappear

haven't played astroneer for a few days, so today all my game saves were gone. as reported here before this is an on going thing.

temporary solution: uninstall astroneer. complete shut down of xbox (may not be needed). install astroneer. game saves are now present

hope this is helpful 

build 0.3.10155.0

xbox one

game saves disappearing

new build same as old build. just to summarize every day to every three days game saves disappear.

short term fix: uninstall astroneer, completely shut down xb1 so that the ''buffers clear'', install astroneer so that it will sync with game server and pull the missing game save from the server and add it back to your console.

question: why not have a command line in the code to auto sync with servers? (mabe you do, just a thought)

observation: xb1 has a data save file in the game manager. never paid much attention to it but the thought that it might be causing a problem, i don't know maybe the game syncs with that file instead of the servers game save file? so i deleted it before uninstalling astroneer. after installing the game i checked for the xb1's data save file in game manager and it wasn't there, so the next time my game save was gone i checked the xb1's data save file and it was back. after deleting the xb1'data save file again i repeated the above short term fix, but kept an eye on the xb1's game management for astronee for when the save data file would return and within a day or three of the file returning my game save disappears. maybe nothing to this, i don't know, i'm not a programmer, just a gamer.

thankyou for your time 

I'm am Xbox One gamer myself, I don't know if I can help,. I'm certainly no expert. I've had an occasional issue with saves disappearing but force-quitting the game and reloading it has always helped. If that had not helped, the things you mentioned are what I would have done such as restarting the Xbox, resetting the system cache (tbh there's really no reason why this should be necessary), deleting and reinstalling the game, signing out (and making sure no other accounts are signed in) and signing back in again. I don't know what would be causing this issue, but it might be worth having a look at these questions about your setup. I've had problems not with disappearing saves, but with saves appearing for Gamertags that shouldn't have access to them. Still, they might lead your to think about other possible causes or things that might be related to the issues you are having. Never know :) 

How many Xbox One consoles do you have on your network? Is it just the one?

If you have more than one, do you share Gold with the other?

Is your Xbox One listed as "My Home Xbox"?

Are there multiple Gamertags active on the Xbox One in question? Do they play Astroneer as well? Do you have more than one GamerTag on your console?

I have no idea if your situation is in any way related to the issues I have faced with Xbox One and saves, but I can share my experiences in the hopes they may help others who have had similar issues arise. The Xbox definitely does some weird things with saves. This is especially true if you (1) have more than one GT active on your console, and/or (2) you have more than one Xbox One on your network.  If you are sharing Gold on one of these Xbox consoles, such as with other family members, theres an even higher chance the Xbox platform is messing around with your saves. However, I'm not an expert, and all I can really offer is to share my experiences. My family has two Xbox One systems, and for awhile (so that my son could play games with me and also have access to the same games I have), I designated his Xbox as "my home Xbox." This is frequently done in family settings. No one is doing anything that's against the rules. This isn't game sharing. This is the way Microsoft intended for families to be able to play and share content together (perhaps not exactly, but then again they didn't exactly leave multiple console owners an elegant solution either). So this is what families are left with (especially since Microsoft ditched on the Families with Gold plan). In order to share games and Gold with your family (or some may choose to share with their cohabitants, etc) designating whichever Xbox is going to be the "family-accessed" one as "my home Xbox" is what you have to do (it's in the settings). Fwiw, Sony has the same exact thing whereby you designate a console as "your primary" and from then on (until you change the setting) other persons who have a PSN on that console can sign in and access your games etc.

I'm sure it's obvious by now just how ridiculous all of this is. After all, it can become a huge pain to operate your own console at times when it's not designated as the "home console" believe me. No doubt some people will wonder "why the need for two consoles in the first place?" Theres probably more reasons than one would think. Siblings, kids who frequently have relatives visit or playdates with others their age, couples and spouses that have continued to game throughout their lives or introduce their partner to gaming, especially for the latter because split screen gaming is increasingly difficult to find these days, there can be many reasons to have multiple consoles in a home or apartment. The main reason we have two each of Xbox One and PS4 is so my son and I could game together. So many games like Destiny, CoD, etc lack any split screen support. Even Halo 5 ditched it after many years of supporting it. 

I also have more than one GT, a legacy from the days of Families with Gold (we had an extra unusedaccount we were paying for, so I created one put of the extra allotted).. Back when the other Xbox One was used as "my home Xbox" I wanted to play on my second GT because I "thought" it would grant me additional Astroneer saves. For those who don't play on Xbox or use Microsoft accounts, a GamerTag is an individual Microsoft account, set up with its own email and password, its own method of payment, etc, so it is a separate entity entirely, and afaik there should be NO mixing of game information AT ALL between GTs. Because of the way Microsoft/Xbox handles accounts and access on an Xbox that's not declared to be "your home Xbox" I would first have to sign in with the GT that had been used to purchase access to Astroneer, and, while leaving that account signed in, use the 2nd account to sign in as well. Strange? Yes, but that's how it works.

When I attempted to do this, I realized there were some major issues. As I mentioned, first I would have to sign in on my main GT (#1) followed by signing in with the other GT (#2). I also had to keep both GTs signed in at the same time (because only the first GT had, from a technical and legal standpoint, actually purchased the game on that Xbox). According to Microsoft, any Xbox that isn't designated as your "home Xbox" can still be used for other GTs to access your games as long as the person who "owns access" to the game is signed in (make sense? You following all this?) There's just one BIG problem. Save file CROSS-CONTAMINATION! All of my Astroneer game saves associated with GT #1, now showed up as if they belonged to GT #2! They were playable, meaning I could alter them, delete them, save over them, whatever I pleased. Now, there wasn't any reason to panic, my saves weren't in any real danger because GT #1 and #2 in this instance are the same person, me. The real problem thought is that there's no way for an Xbox, or Astroneer game, to know that! It would definitely NOT be ok with me if for example I were sharing an Xbox in a different environment (as some do, like in an apartment or dorm, etc.) where I might not trust others present to not overwrite my saves, or even notice there are pre-existing saves present on there in the first place.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this, other than locking all your content down and disallowing any sharing, but that would be a shame. I just thought I'd mention this, even though it might not be related to your individual issue, because obviously Xbox and Microsoft have some general issues with game saves, privacy, etc. I thought a long time about posting my issues here, but in the end I decided it was unlikely my issue was the result of a bug related to Astroneer. I think if anything it's an odd quirk (or bug) related to how Xbox manages saved content. It's a potentially serious issue especially when it comes to privacy, but I certainly don't hold my breath on it getting resolved any time soon. As you can see, things can become very complex if you have several GTs on one console that access Astroneer, or if you have more than one Xbox. That's the basis for the questions.

How have I managed my situation? My son isn't playing many games atm so I have changed my Xbox One setting to reflect it as "my home Xbox." Now my two GTs have their own saves, but they also have their own Gold accounts so I'm not 100% sure which has the most effect. Things can still get wacky though. If I'm signed into GT # 1 or 2, and I'm playing Astroneer, and I keep the game open while I switch to the other GT, it leaves the saves up for whichever GT was signed in first (meaning, Astroneer isn't closed out unless I do so manually), I can play the saves still present on the hub even though they don't belong to the account I'm now signed into. To fix this issue, I have to manually close out Astroneer and reopen the game. Only then will it display the correct saves associated with the newly accessed GT. In short, it's still an incredible mess that needs to be fixed as such access shouldn't be possible or allowable. I'm guessing this is an issue to be resolved on Xbox/Microsoft's end, and not System Era's. If SE sees this and has any ideas, I'd love to hear about them. Fwiw I have added a 3rd GT (but it doesn't have Gold) and bought Astroneer separately for it (I actually did this prior to changing over the "home Xbox" status, which is why it was necessary at that time to purchase a separate license to play Astroneer); the reason I created this GT was unrelated to the issues I had been experiencing with save cross-access and cross-contamination. While I didn't end up needing that additional GT in the end, I'm still glad to have it as a backup, and it gave me the chance to support the Devs...again! :) 

Thanks Shadow,

I have only one console and only one profile/account on my xb1 and i'm the only user.  I 've tried every possible way i can think of to retrive a lost game save and the only way i can force astroneer to sync with the game server to retrieve the game save is to do the uninstall, restart, and install. have tried the soft reboot but only a full shut down works. My best friend plays astroneer also and has never had a problem with missing game saves.

Thankyou for your time

as per shadow echo suggestion this time when my game save disappeared i did a forced shut down while at the main menu of astroneer. when i started up my xb1 and then started astroneer, astroneer performed a sync with the astroneer server and retrieved my game save. that was the one thing that i had not tried so thanks shadow echo 

I'm glad something in that very long post did help! Yes, sometimes Xbox just does weird things, as I mentioned. Idk why, but sometimes just force closing it, and reopening it, can do the trick. Other times just restarting the Xbox fixes can fix things (I learned from playing Skyrim SE I needed to clear system cache frequently, but that's a different story-a lot of game information changes when using mods, so the Xbox needs to get rid of outdated material or big problems arise). Restarting the Xbox may not fix issues with Astroneer saves, but sometimes it is worth a try when things just aren't acting right in general (like controllers not syncing properly or what have you, if the batteries have already been checked etc). Anyway, I think over time all of us who live with and love our tech, figure out these little "tricks and quirks" for our various devices. Hopefully your Astroneering days will be back on track now! :)