I just got Astroneer last night, and I'm playing on Xbox One. Overall, the game has a great idea going but the user interface and the camera especially have major, major, major issues. My biggest complaint is with the camera. When I have the gun thing out, the thumbstick which controls the camera is highly unresponsive and essentially lags horribly. When I move the thumbstick, the camera should follow its every movement (and the camera should stop moving when the thumbstick stops moving, which it does not, mind you). One would think this would be common sense, but apparently, it's not. If this camera was programmed this way on purpose, sure, it's unique. Little Caesars Hot Wings are also unique, but that does not mean they are good (and trust me, they are NOT good). So, please make the camera more user-friendly for Xbox users (not sure if PC has the same problem or not). Make the camera follow the thumbstick fluidly and without preprogrammed lag.

My other complaint is the backpack and how when you bring it up, it blocks out at least 3/5 of the screen so you can't bloody see anything you were trying to pick up in the first place. When you try to adjust the camera to see the item (which is a job in the first place, as explained above) the backpack then moves to block your view again (hard to explain but I'm pretty sure people know what I'm talking about). I think another user on here has brought up a similar complaint, and it definitely needs some attention. I think the other user suggested having the backpack be placed in a specific part of the screen as opposed to free-floating, which I would second.

do you have 131 installed? because they reworked the camera on that a fair bit. I also play on Xbox One (which is sadly uncommon here), and while the camera is still not the best I've ever seen, it isn't THAT bad. I think they still have plans to work on the camera though.

8 minutes ago, Skully said:

do you have 131 installed? because they reworked the camera on that a fair bit. I also play on Xbox One (which is sadly uncommon here), and while the camera is still not the best I've ever seen, it isn't THAT bad. I think they still have plans to work on the camera though.

Is 131 an update? If so, I really have no idea if it's installed as I just installed the game itself yesterday. Is there a way to tell?

5 minutes ago, LordHotwheels said:

Is 131 an update? If so, I really have no idea if it's installed as I just installed the game itself yesterday. Is there a way to tell?

It is an update, and was put out on the 17th March, this year, so if you have used astroneer any time between then and now, i would assume you would be playing on 131. not sure if there is a way to tell, but if you just installed the game it would be running on the newest update possible.

Edited by Skully
10 minutes ago, Skully said:

It is an update, and was put out on the 17th March, this year, so if you have used astroneer any time between then and now, i would assume you would be playing on 131. not sure if there is a way to tell, but if you just installed the game it would be running on the newest update possible.

That's what I would think, too. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to for the time being, which is unfortunate. 

On 4/12/2017 at 7:46 AM, LordHotwheels said:

That's what I would think, too. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to for the time being, which is unfortunate. 

yeah, i guess ¬¬

I know exactly what LordHotwheels talking about camera controls.

My problems are very similar.

Moving the camera on Xbox is not as responsive and smooth using as seen on PC. I would suggest adding an Intensitive setting and a Dead Zone setting to the camera look in options.

Plus! I would change the camera look option to more "sticky". Now, when you look around standing still the camera moves back to the center automatically. I would change it to leave the camera positioned where you last left until: 1-you move the camera look again OR 2-player starts moving again. And I would make this both on foot and in vehicle. It could increase the game control a lot. Especially when you digging/working with the astronaut.

However backpack look need some work too, but I found the camera more frustrating.

• 4 years later...

I'm also playing on Xbox One, but on patch 1.19 and the camera is worst when moving shutlles.