phipple

Falling Physics/Player Damage/Sliding

The damage related to the falling physics is too sensitive and happens too frequently. If my horizontal motion is 10 mph or even less and I "fall" 2 feet, it causes damage to the player. It doesn't feel like how a low gravity environment would feel if I was bounding from spot to spot. It makes the game less fun.

I'm not saying to somehow nullify a momentum penalty. I understand low gravity can be dangerous in the real world, but the current system just doesn't feel quite right. In low gravity, horizontal motion can cause injury as your sort of "dragged" across and down obstacles. If you want players to be penalized for horizontal motion, how about allowing them to fall and tumble if they carry too much momentum. Then reduce the gravity damage multiplier as well so you don't hurt yourself falling one foot as you're going as little as 10 mph horizontally. 

Sliding bug - when sliding down a surface, the player gets stuck in this sliding animation and it just stays that way until you press jump. Looks odd. Overall, movements needs to be more intuitive.

Edited by phipple

3 minutes ago, phipple said:

Sliding bug - when sliding down a surface, the player gets stuck in this sliding animation and it just stays that way until you press jump. Looks odd. Overall, movements needs to be more intuitive.

Yea I've "slid" myself right off a mountain a few times because it wouldn't let me stop.

Hmm I thought the sliding was a feature

I try to make all my mineshafts as smooth as possible so I can slide all the way to the bottom...

I definitely consider sliding a feature, though it in conjunction with the falling damage could use some fine tuning once the devs have the performance issues and more important features under control.  I look forward to planet-wide surfing obstacle courses to test our mettle on.  Can you make it around the moon without stopping your glide?

Gravity can be a bit off. I find that fall damage can seem too great in low gravity environments. I can have a long slow soft looking fall almost kill me. Also, fall damage can be really weird when you dig to the center of a world. You can go from seemingly weightless, to pulled, to dead, very quickly.

I've also seen the long strange slides. I've mostly played co-op, and I usually will tell my friend, "I'm Tony Hawking again."