Instead of making tethers more of a permanent build lifeline, can you make them where they are a temporary refill?   That way you carry so many with you like a stim pack that gives you full oxygen, and/or power.  They would be a one time use, and may help with memory clutter that the lifeline system seems to be experiencing.  

Have you researched filters and power cells yet? They basically serve the purpose you're describing, and like tethers they cost compound.

I have, and have used the power cell correctly, but the filter didn't act like it did anything,  I put it on when I was at 50% oxygen, and could not tell a difference.   I'm on XBOX ONE, so maybe they glitched?   I also think Power cells are a waste of resources.   Why build a one time use power cell, when you can build a battery and recharge it?  

Edited by crsunlimited

The filter, like the power cell, is essentially an emergency-only item. The filters work when you have 0% oxygen. Yes, you should prioritize making rechargeable batteries over power cells, but they're meant only to be used in a pinch.