So Many Tethers!! [beta]

So I saw this new [beta] update which "fixed" my #1 problem, the tethers. Let's just say these screenshots that I took aren't what I had in mind. Admittedly, the tethers connect better than they did before, but just a bit too well.

PC Specs: (Running on Steam)
Windows 10 Pro (Most current non-anniversary update)
i7-4770
32GB RAM
ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Many terabytes of SSD's and HDD's

20161218155012_1.jpg

20161218155114_1.jpg

20161218155150_1.jpg

20161218155347_1.jpg

Any noticable fps increase ? I did not notice any.

DId you also notice the difference in lighting quality?

live (beautiful)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98348801206243513/A5B31C837ADA2B2C1A149B21FAB85E5A03329507/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D*%2C*|2048%3A1152&background-color=black

experimental (potato)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98348801206235406/FEFBCEC2D5041B7BF1717AC0E12A6D7776C87743/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D*%2C*|2048%3A1152&background-color=black

In experimental, it appears they lowered graphical details on a lot of things, including lighting, and it offered me no fps benefit. I do not believe the fps issues are gpu related. possibly physics related, or something else in the code needing optimization. 

Also, no matter how far I walk away from the home base, there's always a tether line connecting me to it. (but sadly I don't receive any oxygen)

I have the opposite of your problem for me they always disconnect when I'm out of view range

I even placed tethers between my normally placed once (as far away as possible) because I thought they moved by the wind or something

but when I walked along my path as soon as I thought I fixed them all, some in the middle already disconnected again

I also get the feeling its always the same that disconnects (but there are like 5 on one path)

After switching to beta branch, i've got a noticable fps bump (sadly, didn't capture the comparison) but it felt like a change from sluggish sub-20 fps up to high 50s.

It was all great, but after a while I've run into the same perfomance problems (even though I haven't really used a lot of tethers (i've started to increase the size of the base itself), so now I have all the same mid-20s.

Here's a little example:

The one thing that bugs me the most, is that even after moving to another planet (wanted to start from scratch but with tech already discovered), the performance stayed the same, while the game only utilized like 30-40% of CPU and 20-30% of the GPU (same for the frame buffer), which seems odd for me.

Also, I can agree with the people above: tethers being individual light sources while having a performance impact - did an amazing job for the aesthetics. For such a "low-poly" styled game - the lighting is what makes this world come to life, and seeing the shading reduced to basically 2 dynamic sources: the sun and the player flashlights - is sad.

System specs:

i7-2600, GTX780 (3GB MSI Lightning, latest drivers), 16GB of DDR3 RAM, Win 10

3 minutes ago, orels1 said:

After switching to beta branch, i've got a noticable fps bump (sadly, didn't capture the comparison) but it felt like a change from sluggish sub-20 fps up to high 50s.

It was all great, but after a while I've run into the same perfomance problems (even though I haven't really used a lot of tethers (i've started to increase the size of the base itself), so now I have all the same mid-20s.

Here's a little example:

The one thing that bugs me the most, is that even after moving to another planet (wanted to start from scratch but with tech already discovered), the performance stayed the same, while the game only utilized like 30-40% of CPU and 20-30% of the GPU (same for the frame buffer), which seems odd for me.

Also, I can agree with the people above: tethers being individual light sources while having a performance impact - did an amazing job for the aesthetics. For such a "low-poly" styled game - the lighting is what makes this world come to life, and seeing the shading reduced to basically 2 dynamic sources: the sun and the player flashlights - is sad.

System specs:

i7-2600, GTX780 (3GB MSI Lightning, latest drivers), 16GB of DDR3 RAM, Win 10

I believe there is some kind of memory leak or issue with the physics code. Im no dev though, so ill leave that to them. I will say i hope they leave the lighting alone, because it makes the game feel a lot more "dull". The lighting coupled with this game's art style looks fantastic in live. And I personally got zero fps increase from the lighting and details being lowered. 

1 minute ago, bambam625 said:

I believe there is some kind of memory leak or issue with the physics code. Im no dev though, so ill leave that to them. I will say i hope they leave the lighting alone, because it makes the game feel a lot more "dull". The lighting coupled with this game's art style looks fantastic in live. And I personally got zero fps increase from the lighting and details being lowered. 

Weird thing though is that I don't see any signs of increased memory consumption or anything. It even feels like the game is under-utilizing the PCs hardware while it needs more resources to operate normally. So like if the dev set the hard constraints on how much resources the game can consume and after a while it just cannot operate properly with such restrictions even if your PC allows it to do so.

I agree with the "dullness", although the beta-branch helped me a lot (at least for a while)

Just now, orels1 said:

Weird thing though is that I don't see any signs of increased memory consumption or anything. It even feels like the game is under-utilizing the PCs hardware while it needs more resources to operate normally. So like if the dev set the hard constraints on how much resources the game can consume and after a while it just cannot operate properly with such restrictions even if your PC allows it to do so.

I agree with the "dullness", although the beta-branch helped me a lot (at least for a while)

I got zero fps improvements. Something is happening where the game keeps on needing more and more resources the longer a save game is active. I believe, something that is supposed to "deactivate", or stop itself when its finished, or when you walk away from it is continuing to consume cpu resources, causing the fps drops over time. I believe it may be related to how many changes the player makes to the environment. Which is the "leak" i was talking about. 

Just now, bambam625 said:

I got zero fps improvements. Something is happening where the game keeps on needing more and more resources the longer a save game is active. I believe, something that is supposed to "deactivate", or stop itself when its finished, or when you walk away from it is continuing to consume cpu resources, causing the fps drops over time. I believe it may be related to how many changes the player makes to the environment. Which is the "leak" i was talking about. 

I agree, I always have to restart my game after a few hours or it just becomes exponentially slower. (and that problem is quadrupled in multiplayer)

Just now, bambam625 said:

The problem I'm having is that game never utilizes more than 40% of my CPU and never more than 30% of the GPU, so like the load is very low, but the game is still slow.

And moving to another planet doesn't help with the performance at all, so it seems like it has nothing to do with the amount of things you have currently on-screen. You might be right that for some reason game does something with all the terrain changes even when you're not near them.

Anyway, the devs seem to be working fast on the fixes, so I hope we will get some updates on that soon.

2 minutes ago, DirtyJ said:

I agree, I always have to restart my game after a few hours or it just becomes exponentially slower. (and that problem is quadrupled in multiplayer)

Im thinking the fps issues are stemming from the physics and or voxel system theyre using. I think they need to pour over that code and see whats tanking the perf. But , im no dev, just help QA games in the past.

2 minutes ago, orels1 said:

The problem I'm having is that game never utilizes more than 40% of my CPU and never more than 30% of the GPU, so like the load is very low, but the game is still slow.

And moving to another planet doesn't help with the performance at all, so it seems like it has nothing to do with the amount of things you have currently on-screen. You might be right that for some reason game does something with all the terrain changes even when you're not near them.

Anyway, the devs seem to be working fast on the fixes, so I hope we will get some updates on that soon.

A lot of games in pre alpha do this. I know star citizen does. Its because they have debugging software running on the gpu, keeping it from being utilized 100%. Also, cpu optimization is a whole different beast. I checked and it said the game was only using like 14 percent of my cpu, and 25 percent of my gpu power. 

39 minutes ago, littlefool said:

I have the opposite of your problem for me they always disconnect when I'm out of view range

I even placed tethers between my normally placed once (as far away as possible) because I thought they moved by the wind or something

but when I walked along my path as soon as I thought I fixed them all, some in the middle already disconnected again

I also get the feeling its always the same that disconnects (but there are like 5 on one path)

Yea the tethers and the truck-research physics are my biggest issues right now.

Just now, DirtyJ said:

Yea the tethers and the truck-research physics are my biggest issues right now.

I'm attaching 3 research-items on top on the truck and 2 on the front and rear "connectors" since the storage attachments are bugged - i cannot see any other options at this point. And 5 items is not half-bad anyways

7 minutes ago, orels1 said:

I'm attaching 3 research-items on top on the truck and 2 on the front and rear "connectors" since the storage attachments are bugged - i cannot see any other options at this point. And 5 items is not half-bad anyways

Any time @Sharkie and I attached any research to the truck it would sink into the floor or just shoot into outer space.

1 minute ago, DirtyJ said:

Any time @Sharkie and I attached any research to the truck it would sink into the floor or just shoot into outer space.

you attach it directly to the truck or to the storage module on the truck? (I only have that if I put them onto the storage)

1 minute ago, orels1 said:

you attach it directly to the truck or to the storage module on the truck? (I only have that if I put them onto the storage)

We attached them to the storage, and then we tried to remove the storage but there is no way to do that.

Edited by DirtyJ
Just now, DirtyJ said:

We attached them to the storage.

yeah, that one is bugged =)

For the time being I recommend you to ignore the storage module and just build a 3-seat thingie (or just 2 seats) and then put research onto the rest 2 slots + the front and back connectors