Hey guys, I've been testing some configurations to improve the FPS of the game, since it uses the Unreal Engine 4.0... Here is how my file is:

I've done a lot of tests, and I found that the GPU usage has reduced a lot to produce more frames. I have a save with more than 19 hours of gaming, and for some reason the FPS is still low on this save, even though the GPU usage is about 20 to 30% (I am using a NVIDIA 680M)

This configuration changes the following:
- Rendering
- Shadows quality
- Post Process quality
- Effects quality

Configuration locaction: 
C:\Users\[your_user]\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Open the file (Engine.ini) using the notepad.exe

Here is how I changed my file: (After changing the file, just save it and run the game)

[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.ShadowQuality=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.1
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.6
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=0
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0
r.DistanceFieldAO=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.BloomQuality=4
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.Upscale.Quality=1
r.TonemapperQuality=0
r.LightShaftQuality=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
r.SSS.Scale=0
r.SSS.SampleSet=0
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.75

I hope that this helps someone :D

Didnt work for me :(

Radeon Software Version - 16.12.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 990 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor

I believe it's about the game having foliage and such loaded in when it's supposed to be unloaded. Entire planets are loaded in even though they aren't supposed to be, ends up in a framdrop. The same with greens and stuff with animations such as plants etc.

Twunix, have you restarted your game after applying the config? 

Have you tried to start a new game after the new config?

3 minutes ago, twunix said:

Didnt work for me :(

Radeon Software Version - 16.12.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 990 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor

I applied the config with the game not running.  I did, however, load up an existing game (which had all of 10 minutes of play time), but I will start a brand new game and report back.

35 minutes ago, WestNomad said:

I believe it's about the game having foliage and such loaded in when it's supposed to be unloaded. Entire planets are loaded in even though they aren't supposed to be, ends up in a framdrop. The same with greens and stuff with animations such as plants etc.

Is this any different from Space Engineers?  I know you can at least see the planets in the distance on SE and there are no frame rate issues there. 

7 minutes ago, twunix said:

Is this any different from Space Engineers?  I know you can at least see the planets in the distance on SE and there are no frame rate issues there. 

This is not the same engine (i think), plus there's no long distance entities with animations - which takes more processing power - loaded in SE.

1 minute ago, WestNomad said:

This is not the same engine (i think), plus there's no long distance entities with animations - which takes more processing power - loaded in SE.

Ah, gotcha

1 minute ago, WestNomad said:

These are new for UE4, hence why they look weird compared to UE3 commands - most tweak posts related to Astroneer are borrowing from Ark aswell

2 minutes ago, strelokcyka said:

These are new for UE4, hence why they look weird compared to UE3 commands - most tweak posts related to Astroneer are borrowing from Ark aswell

hm, i'm not really familiar with UE3 nor UE4, simply quessing my way forward as i learn.

Yep tried this with both the regular build and Beta and got not a single frame rate of improvement in either. Really glad this worked for you and I hope it does for others. For me, not so much.

1 minute ago, twunix said:

Yep tried this with both the regular build and Beta and got not a single frame rate of improvement in either. Really glad this worked for you and I hope it does for others. For me, not so much.

Try this 

This will work if your computer not up to par with system requirements. That said, this will not fix the lag occurring over time.

Alright, so I added
[/Script/Astro.ScalabilitySettings]
(DecoratorLODDistanceScale=160.000000,ViewDistanceQuality=Medium,TextureQuality=High,ShadowQuality=Low,EffectsQuality=Medium,FoliageQuality=Medium,AntiAliasingQuality=High,PostProcessQuality=High) to the Game.ini

In addition to your suggestion at the top to Engine.ini, in addition to being in Beta build. |

I get 117 FPS standing still and an FPS of about 15 when I move, making still pretty much unplayable.  Looks like Ill just have to wait until they optimize it : /

Edited by twunix

1 minute ago, twunix said:

Alright, so I added
[/Script/Astro.ScalabilitySettings]
(DecoratorLODDistanceScale=160.000000,ViewDistanceQuality=Medium,TextureQuality=High,ShadowQuality=Low,EffectsQuality=Medium,FoliageQuality=Medium,AntiAliasingQuality=High,PostProcessQuality=High)
In addition to your suggestion at the top, in addition to being in Beta build. |

I get 117 FPS standing still and an FPS of about 15 when I move, making still pretty much unplayable.  Looks like Ill just have to wait until they optimize it : /

don't fret over it, many people are experiencing major fps setbacks with no apparent reason. I have faith in the devs and their ability to locate the issue and fix it.

So don't feel infuriated by it, it's eventually gonna be fixed :)

As I said, there is a problem with the FPS, but the overload of the system has decreased a lot, so I think this will help as soon as they fix the FPS limitation.

Interesting. I went back into steam and saw that Astroneer had an update. Downloaded it, started a new game and now Im about 30 min into a game with a consistent 60-70 FPS. (Sometimes it drops but never for long). 

17 hours ago, twunix said:

Interesting. I went back into steam and saw that Astroneer had an update. Downloaded it, started a new game and now Im about 30 min into a game with a consistent 60-70 FPS. (Sometimes it drops but never for long). 

I'm glad to hear that this helped you :D

5 hours ago, otavioreis said:

I'm glad to hear that this helped you :D

Yeah man, And I kept your little write up in my Engine.ini file as well so I'm sure that's helped. Ive also been able to help several people over on the Steam forums with what you put together. So thanks for that man.

On 18/12/2016 at 7:38 PM, otavioreis said:

Hey guys, I've been testing some configurations to improve the FPS of the game, since it uses the Unreal Engine 4.0... Here is how my file is:

I've done a lot of tests, and I found that the GPU usage has reduced a lot to produce more frames. I have a save with more than 19 hours of gaming, and for some reason the FPS is still low on this save, even though the GPU usage is about 20 to 30% (I am using a NVIDIA 680M)

This configuration changes the following:
- Rendering
- Shadows quality
- Post Process quality
- Effects quality

Configuration locaction: 
C:\Users\[your_user]\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Open the file (Engine.ini) using the notepad.exe

Here is how I changed my file: (After changing the file, just save it and run the game)

[Core.System]
Paths=../../../Engine/Content
Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.ShadowQuality=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.1
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.6