Sign in to follow this  
Swalay

Implement Persistence of Storm Debris

Hello All,

My name is Charlie and I have been playing Astroneer for just over 15 hours now.

I would like to make a modest suggestion for a possible feature in the game.  It seems unlikely that this would become a priority, but I thought it was an interesting idea and it does not seem like it appears anywhere in this sub, however I may not be searching very well.

Anyways, my suggestion is just to add persistence to the debris in Storms.  In this way, the rocks may begin to accumulate in predictable ways, for example on what geologists might call the "lee" side of a given slope (diagram here), and not dissimilar to how sand dunes form and migrate.  Debris may also begin to fill in holes and caves and the like.  This may introduce some challenges as far as interacting with piles of debris and such, as well as who knows what else, and I make my suggestion notwithstanding those difficulties.

The idea was a somewhat natural progression for me given my bachelor's in Earth Science/Geology and experiences thinking about how sediment moves around landscapes - as trite as that sounds - and so I just wanted to throw it out there.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and in any consideration that you happen give to this unusual idea!

All the best,

Charlie

edit: Added link to diagram

Edited by Swalay

Cool idea. Here's my $.02 regarding optimization though - as it is, they have already had to work hard to optimize the game to a point where framerate is acceptable after a bunch of objects are added to the world by the player. Adding persistence of blocks from storms would probably pull on the engine more than they are willing to deal with. (I assume the blocks are what you're talking about.) Maybe dust storms could gradually raise the terrain instead? This wouldn't hurt framerate at all since it's not actually adding anything, just changing elevations. Also, the algorithms needed for calculating what areas will "accumulate" (raise elevation) are probably already halfway done with what they have for world generation.

Many topics have asked about base maintenance (damage from storms and repair) and people seem very split about how happy they would be with that. This would add a bit of easy base maintenance, solvable entirely with the terrain tool, which I'm sure would be far less controversial. Hide from a storm and you may have to dig up your base afterwards!

I like it, sounds like something that would be a brilliant idea, despite the fact that it would be extremely annoying for the players. Nice job.