Do you guys have any tips for terraforming a base shelter?

Personally I don't see a need to build walls or use a craven. Just jump in a habitat.

I like to see the sky, clouds, stars and planets. In a craven the sounds change and if you expand you need to remove and rebuild.

Have fun. 

51 minutes ago, PrimalByte said:

Personally I don't see a need to build walls or use a craven. Just jump in a habitat.

I like to see the sky, clouds, stars and planets. In a craven the sounds change and if you expand you need to remove and rebuild.

Have fun. 

I'm starting to agree with you.  As long as you're down a bit the wind storms aren't too dangerous.  Now "craven" I've not heard that used to describe a shelter, that's a new one on me. 

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

There is a lot of tutorial on how to use the tool to make perfectly flat bases, here is some of the good ones

Thanks for this.  I will give it a look.  I have no idea how people make the amazing things in this game that they do.  

That video is pretty interesting.  Bottom line, though, is it takes a lot of patience.  When you're smoothing out some land (or a wall, ramp, whatever), move the tool slowly.  The slower you go, the more smooth it will be.  And you can go back over to make it really smooth if you want.

If you're starting a new flat area, press and hold in one place for a little before moving, and make sure it's the angle you want.  It will need lots of power.  If you only have your backpack, you'll be waiting a lot like the person in the video.  Use your tethers, solar panels, wind turbines, and batteries to get enough power from your base.

Last weekend, I built a tunnel right through the planet using this.  (Not a little hole.  A big tunnel I can drive through.)

Remember: patience.

Also I noticed there is a glitch where, if you pass the target circle on the opposite side of your astroneer away from the camera, it will lose its flat angle and start building random blobs.  Be careful of that, and move your camera around a little when you work.

4 hours ago, Mr. G said:

I'm starting to agree with you.  As long as you're down a bit the wind storms aren't too dangerous.  Now "craven" I've not heard that used to describe a shelter, that's a new one on me. 

*cavern

8 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

That video is pretty interesting.  Bottom line, though, is it takes a lot of patience.  When you're smoothing out some land (or a wall, ramp, whatever), move the tool slowly.  The slower you go, the more smooth it will be.  And you can go back over to make it really smooth if you want.

If you're starting a new flat area, press and hold in one place for a little before moving, and make sure it's the angle you want.  It will need lots of power.  If you only have your backpack, you'll be waiting a lot like the person in the video.  Use your tethers, solar panels, wind turbines, and batteries to get enough power from your base.

Last weekend, I built a tunnel right through the planet using this.  (Not a little hole.  A big tunnel I can drive through.)

Remember: patience.

Also I noticed there is a glitch where, if you pass the target circle on the opposite side of your astroneer away from the camera, it will lose its flat angle and start building random blobs.  Be careful of that, and move your camera around a little when you work.

*cavern

Cavern.  *Facepalm.  Ha I was imaging it as a shelter for someone that has no backbone or courage.  

1 item to note, the starting world is alot easier to smooth walls etc, the other planets not so much.  The tool reacts to angles differently and it takes alot more practice to get it right. So if you're on any other planet and it seems alot more hectic.. that's why.

9 hours ago, Martin said:

1 item to note, the starting world is alot easier to smooth walls etc, the other planets not so much.  The tool reacts to angles differently and it takes alot more practice to get it right. So if you're on any other planet and it seems alot more hectic.. that's why.

This drove me InSaNe at the beginning.  I have to assume this is a bug...

4 hours ago, MMZ>Torak said:

This drove me InSaNe at the beginning.  I have to assume this is a bug...

Don't think it's really a bug as such, more a setting in the generation of the planets that's not the same or something like that.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Don't think it's really a bug as such, more a setting in the generation of the planets that's not the same or something like that.

Pedantry.

Its it an intended feature or not?  If it is not, and it is an error, it is a bug.