SES_Adam

17 hours ago, SES_Adam said:

The most common request I see is for Sprinting to be toggled with the Left Thumbstick rather than the Left Thumbstick pressed and held to sprint, and we'll implement that.

Thank God! My left thumb feels like it's going to drop off sometimes after running back to base after exploring. Thank you for addressing this!

SO GLAD to see this topic brought up!

1: For starters, it's a little confusing to get my up and down look controls correct, mostly because I play with and inverted y-axis (yes I know, I'm the worst). Some tasks utilize the inverted controls, and some don't. It's confusing, but also I can usually understand why it functions that way. For example, the deforming tool, when not zoomed in with L-Trigger, does not follow inverted look controls, but it sort of makes sense that it doesn't... Essentially, what I'm saying is that it's complicated.

2: Crane operation makes no sense! I don't even know what's going on with it. I took a step back and had to really focus on what happened as a moved the controller sticks ever-so-slightly while using the crane, and I still am unsure how to get it to go where I want.

3: Rotation of look controls is often really slow. I'm not sure if it's just the game having performance issues, or if the sensitivity is just very low, but rotating around things can be quite sluggish, and dangerous when there is a sandstorm coming your way!

4: The aim reticle can be difficult to manage. I'm not sure if a sort of "magnetic" system would be helpful here (like FPS games), but often I'll be placing a resource in my backpack, only to have the reticle freak out between locking the item in the backpack, or dropping it behind my backpack. I'm not sure I'm explaining that well enough. Suffice it to say, it can be difficult to pick up and place an intended object, probably mostly because it's a 2D reticle in 3D space, and console controllers are notoriously bad at precision aiming.

Finally, a lot of the troubles I have feel like they could be alleviated if I was able to toggle into a first person perspective. Not sure how complicated that is, as I'm not a game dev, but if it is possible, at all, perhaps it's something to consider.

Thanks for posting this topic! Love the game! Glad I'm supporting it! And I can't wait to see where it goes! Cheers!

17 hours ago, FierTheFlame said:

If you could introduce button mapping that'd be awesome!

I really think that's the ideal solution... At least remap sprint, that's a terrible position for it to be placed.

I signed up specifically because I saw this topic (whilst being a silent browser) and wanted to weigh in my experiences with it on Xbox 1. 

It's quite obvious from the get-go that this game is designed with the PC in mind (at present). I have to say for one of the most instantly addictive games I've ever played, the controls are by far one of the worst I've ever experienced. The turning for the right analogue stick is too slow (needs a sensitivity setting), adjusting your view point is unbelievably frustrating. Carrying, picking up and dropping items is so fiddly it genuinely angers me. Selecting actions (like activating trade/fuel condenser/build commands etc) is again very fiddly and hard to select. 

Realistically I think you need to completely rework the controls entirely. Now I appreciate you are already rather far into this game to completely change the way the controls work so what I would suggest is essentially setting up a 'controller profile' menu and also adding in secondary preset that is your 'updated' controls which you feel are more suitable. 

To be honest, there are two bottlenecks in this game for me that I can see considerably decreasing how much time I spend on it, these being -

1 - Not enough content to keep me hooked. I've essentially reached end game now and exploration (staring up to the stars, exploring wrecks and land etc) is now my only past time. I've colonised pretty much everything with full base setups. This is your main priority in my opinion (but only if it doesn't decrease performance making the game unplayable). 

2 - Improving the controls, because at some point it will definitely drive me insane :D

PS: The only saving grace for me is having an Elite controller so I can just map the controls I want on a separate profile within the Elite app and change the sensitivity as well! ^_^

Edited by Corby

The only improvements could be;

Press L3 once or twice to sprint.

Make R3's camera control more precise.

Give bumpers more use. For example, while near a base module or in your backpack, they could filter through the crafting options.

I've also noticed B is not mapped to do anything. Not sure what I could do, however... Perhaps you could press B instead of X to put away your terrain tool?

I play both xbox and steam with a controller. I find the rover/truck much easier to drive with a controller. I'm guessing you were going for the halo warthog driving scheme, I think it works well, just needs tightening up a bit, sideways drift is a bit weird on high gravity planet. 

Carrying research through a cave or round a corner or close to a tree is a pain! Camera goes nuts, research item flys around all over, player character ends up going round I circles and walking into walls.

Speaking of the camera, many people mentioned inverted camera contolls & how it skips between inverted & non-inverted depending on what your doing, this is mind bending, please look into it. 

Thank you for an awesome game.

Was playing today and was thinking it would be a significant improvement if you could use the Right and Left bumpers to rotate the camera while carrying objects (bumpers don't seem to have a use outside of when using your tool, which shouldn't conflict with proposed idea). Currently you have to hold the object to the side of your screen until it rotates the the point you want. Doing this causes it to catch on other objects and causes a lot of camera changes, which isn't the best experience.

-Tapping left thumbstick to sprint would be great over holding it                                                                                                                                                                                                  -X BUTTON ENTER VEHICLE / EQUIP TERRAIN TOOL is sometimes a problem...digging a slightly sloped tunnel the rover drifts and flips, i could dig some space if i could only stop entering my rover [Y] ENTER VEHICLE                                                                                                                                                                                                                              - PLEASE ADAM I BEG YOU NO MORE HALO STYLE DRIVING , i know you agree, END MY SUFFERING ? [LT] BRAKE [RT] ACCELERATE [RIGHT THUMBSTICK] LOOK AROUND ??????                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  -Keep up the great work system era, astroneer FTW ????? 

Idea #1:  When you click the right joystick (the "knifing button" in most FPS), it should activate a precision mode for terrain editing or something similar to that idea (maybe do the same with movement as well)

Idea #2: Have a sort of "auto leveling system" with the terrain gun thingy. For example, when I want to make a perfectly flat surface (Horizontal or vertical), it is a great hastle to try and manipulate a wall to become flat. Maybe, when you pull out (<--- ?) the terrain gun, it would put you in another mode, similar to in Halo where you go from a soldier to the orb thing in "forge" mode). 

Idea #3: Make the equivalent of a "hot bar" (like in Minecraft), but when you press the bumpers, it would expand the "backpack" (keeping the astroneer style) and it would go from the current item selected to the next or previous, depending on how many times the bumpers are pressed.

Final words (not literally): Remember that us experienced users are used to call of duty and Minecraft controls, so relate button mapping similar to those games. For example if someone were to change the x and r key (or whichever ones) on a keyboard, it wouldn't be too awful to work on remembering which key does which, but it messes with muscle memory