SES_Adam

controlla.thumb.jpg.7f271006048f4f2a52eff52a14ddc349.jpg

Hello! I was going to spend some time looking at the game controls in Astroneer when playing with a controller and see what ways we can improve things for players.

The most common request I see is for Sprinting to be toggled with the Left Thumbstick rather than the Left Thumbstick pressed and held to sprint, and we'll implement that, so I wanted to start a thread specifically around controller feedback. I'd love to find out from you what you think the most pressing issue is while playing the game with a controller.

Thanks!

Adam

2 word: Toggle Sprint, that's the most frequent suggestion here.

Other part would be making it easier to aim the terrain tool and placing the modules, resources, or any other item.

And lastly... Making it easier to select, pick-up, and drop objects using controller.

Implement controller mapping, like how skyrim and over watch, being able to make the b button left trigger or any other insane things control schemes, would solve the problem of someone saying to you guys how to map the controller, make them do it!!, but if that's not a option for some reason I don't about, make sprinting toggle, and allow us to move sprinting to left bumper when out of mining mode, also make tethers right analog stick 

51 minutes ago, Lithium said:

2 word: Toggle Sprint, that's the most frequent suggestion here.

Other part would be making it easier to aim the terrain tool and placing the modules, resources, or any other item.

And lastly... Making it easier to select, pick-up, and drop objects using controller.

Maybe a rethink of the object selections with left trigger will be nice, but don't force on people just make it a option, options are much better then none, will make less people mad in the end 

Honestly the control is pretty damn good, except for the run button placement, it shouldn't be Y, I think B or X would be faaaaaaaar better.

Also maybe adding gyro-controls for controlling the cursor?

I would love to see more options relating to control of camera. I play inverted and going back and forth between sucking up stuff and walking messes me up every time. It would be nice to change the inversion on the terrain gun separately from the normal walking around camera inversion 

Toggle Sprint. Not on sticks though, on bumper.

Camera Sensitivity. Make it adjustable please.

Adjustable size terrain tool target.

Cursor Sensitivity. Please make speed adjustable. Stickiness factor setting would also be welcome.

37 minutes ago, Zuka said:

Toggle Sprint. Not on sticks though, on bumper.

Camera Sensitivity. Make it adjustable please

>toggle sprint will probably be still on the thumb stick itself, but you only need to click to activate it like most games (i can imagine more useful features could benefit from the bumper binds in future depending on what gets added)
>Camera sensitivity would be amazing, also when you aim with the LT being able to have a separate fine tune setting would be a blessing (fast sensitivity for normal camera and then slow for precision aiming/building)

I think the way the rover/trucks works on controller are a bit weird, maybe have it so that you can only go forward/backwards with L.Thumb and then the turning left/right is to do with the (R.Thumb)camera.

Edited by 8BitBlade

Yeah button mapping is a must for us, for sure. Whenever this is released, it'l be apart of that.

So one thing I'd like to explore is unifying the control scheme around the cursor a little bit more. Currently you use LT to bring out the Cursor, and RT to select/grab/interact with whatever it is the cursor is highlighting. I think that works well enough. But there's inconsistent cases where the cursor is activated without pressing LT down in the first place. One example is where you press Y to open your Backpack. As soon as the Backpack is open, the Cursor is activated but you don't need to keep LT pressed down. RT works the same. That's inconsistent. Similarly this happens when you're running by something you can grab and the blue circle cursor wraps around an object. If you press RT at those times, you'll pick the item up as if you brought the cursor out manually to do so, but again you will not need to be pressing LT down. There's ways to adjust those interactions to be consistent across the board when dealing with the cursor that'll help improve things. (E.g. Make it so the backpack opens with LT+Y so activating the cursor is the first step. And when an item is highlighted in blue and is collectible, have it auto-snap to the backpack instead of being grabbed by the cursor. Similar to Shift+Clicking on an item with mouse/kb controls. It's only when you hold LT does it go to 'cursor grab mode'.)

Make the snapping to those "rock resource" things things a bit easier. It's currently really hard and finicky to get the arrow to be green and start sucking resources from it.

My feedback, there's something that takes a bit for new players to get used to the UI.

When I first started the game the UI seemed weird at first, can't quite put a finger on it.  Ha!  But after playing a while I got used to it and all the controls so it'd be hard for me to say what that was.  I told my daughter about the game and she tried the demo version and here comments to me were that it was hard to get used to the controls.  Perhaps get some players that haven't played the game and have played video games come in for some sort of play test to see what might be going on.  I think some people, not me, might get turned off from this awesome game due to this issue.

For me the major current issue is the hold down left joystick to run.  So glad that's being addressed.  Keep it on the left joystick is fine, just make it toggle back and forth and not require you to hold it down.  I suppose once we add more dangerous things though I do find that I accidently hit this toggle in a game like Minecraft, where hitting that caused you to change the camera angle, I would get into a panic state where it toggled my view accidently as I reacted to some danger in the game.  Perhaps the remapping would help out here.

And I'm not yet sure it's related to this, but when carrying objects, like say an unknown object that you are bringing back to scan it sure does seem like it's very hard to control.  It might be easier to do when I'm not trying to press down the left joystick to run with the object I'm carrying in my hand.  Making this a bit easier while carrying an object might be good, not quite sure how to fix it though.  Perhaps when you run the looking around isn't quite as wonky or is quicker to change sensitivity?  I'd need to play a bit more with this to see how it might be improved.

Another thing, perhaps more related to the camera angles is when you go inside of something, like say a broken spaceship that you find, the camera angle gets into a state where it's difficult to see what you're doing to move.  Again, not sure how to fix this.  I most times can figure out an angle to be able to see what I'm doing, but sometimes I just have to move without being able to see my player moving and trust it's going the right way.

I'll play some more tonight to see what else I can think of.

In Titanfall you could turn on auto sprint or auto sprint with a sec delay, this was very helpful for disabled gamers like myself. 

Perhaps something you could change with the rover overhaul is a option to change the driving controller scheme to something that resembles other driving heavy games. It could incorporate things like using the triggers for gas and brake, a handbrake, etc. I'm not sure if this would fit in with the more streamlined and simplified controls, but it would make rover controls feel more familiar. 

I am on computer and do not own a controller but here is a suggestion

is there a way to go to a side screen with the most common things to stay activated till they are toggled off  ie.. sprint , carry  slow camera spin .

One thing I would like to see added to the Gamepad and Mouse & Keyboard control schemes is an auto-run feature for characters and "cruise-control" for terrain vehicles.

Begin by pushing the left stick forward. Doesn't have to be full speed. With your character moving forward, simply tap the left shoulder button.  Release the stick you will continue to move forward free of player control. The speed you are moving when you tap the shoulder is the speed you will continue to move forward with.

The stick can still be used to steer character/vehicle. Tap shoulder button again to turn off.

My first reply is so important, it is stand alone.  I haven't played since it was released for lack of inverted controls in the backpack.  (If you don't think it should matter that much, just invert the controls and see how it plays - then you will understand.)

There are other improvements that could be made.  As suggested above, allowing us to map the controller would be awesome.

I would like a toggle switch for "acceleration" on the sticks.  (i.e., I don't want acceleration).  Those are most important for now.

Thank you very much for looking into this. 

An easy fix for carring research items might be a "put away" toggle like when you put something in backpack. When this is active the item would be in the characters arms in front like carrying a box. The movements would be slower due to 'carrying'. Running would be a walking pace and walking would the slow pace it is now. The dig tool would be disabled until you chose to drop the item. This should make taking the research item back to your base or rover much easier

Autorun, both with controller and keyboard mouse would be good.

I invert my controls on Xbox which works fine, but today the setting isn't saved.

When using the terrain tool, the controls are reversed again, IE they aren't respecting the change to the camera controls, which makes you change styles based on your view. If it's inveresed for the camera, it should also apply when zoomed in on the terrain tool.

Last point, shift click on PC, is there an equivalent on controller?

If you do change how inverted controls work, please make it configurable rather than permanently one way or the other.

Copying from previous feedback for locality, but if you've already read through the old threads nothing new.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:48 AM, wondible said:

I'm on PC; Initially I tried controller once or twice, and immediately had to stop because it was so awkward. The other day I tried a new save with the controller to see if I could acclimate a little, and I still find it very uncomfortable.

Misc notes:

A couple people have mentioned toggle sprint. I find the stick button very unconformable to hold down.  "Kingdom" used triggers as hold to run which also worked pretty well.

On PC I have a keypad controller with a thumbstick; I mapped the stick button to tab (enter/exit) which has worked pretty well.

I find getting precision out of stick driven pointers very difficult. I think controllers  should have a more digital interface for the backpack and selecting other specific slots. That is, a tap of the stick moves one slot. Free drag can still be used to move between objects (backpack/platforms/world)

Quick pickup for nearby objects is pretty nice. I'd like to see this expanded for using platforms/backpack crafting. Say, bumpers for left/right, and a button to activate.

The "A" button feels like a pretty primary button, possibly even for "click". It is assigned to jump, which I almost never use.

I find it a lot easier to place tethers while moving on PC; using the D-pad pretty much requires taking my finger off the stick.

I like having camera pan by default (whereas PC requires the right mouse button) I find that I want inverted Y for camera, but not when there is a cursor, including the deform tool.

I'd like to try a more unified pan/cursor mode, but really can't say if it would work without trying it.

Zoom on the deform tool works pretty well, although I worry about losing track of oxygen.

It would take some experimentation, but a first draft mapping for me would be something like this.

• left trigger: cursor mode/emote modifier
  • right trigger: sprint
  • bumpers: left/right buttons
  • d-pad up: raise terrain
  • d-pad right: flatten terrain
  • d-pad down: lower terrain
  • d-pad left: toggle deform tool (others will also activate)
  • left stick button: enter/exit
  • right stick button: zoom
  • A: pick up/place (click)
  • X: backpack
  • B: tether
  • Y: jump

My only concern with the controller gameplay, and the only reason I've stayed away from it after my initial experiences (I'd love to use a controller) is the movement of the camera and the tool. It feels a bit slow. Maybe it's because I'm so used to using a mouse and keyboard, being able to turn and move the tool as fast as I want and this isn't really an option with controllers but if we could get some sensitivity controls, some detailed controls. For example, camera sensitivity would be nice, but also the sensitivity of the tool, how fast that moves etc.

Other than that, controller gameplay is fun but I doubt it'll ever be as intuitive as a mouse and keyboard in this game for my liking and the pace I like to move at.

Terrain deform tool is difficult to use in comparison to a mouse (Even with Steam Controller).  Perhaps a better way to control the movement of the tool or angle of the tool... or highlight the primary face of the poly so you can anticipate how it will deform better? [Controller Players Want Flat Walls!]   Camera feels wonky but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

As far as other ideas already mentioned:

1 Second Auto Run - Up Vote (Even better if it was a feature that could be enabled/disabled)

Custom Key Binding Options - Up Vote

Button mapping, adjustable sensitivity, and maybe more quick select things like hover over the smelter with the cursor and use the action button and ore transferring to it from your backpack.