Recently, getting tired of my cluttered main world, I started a new game, and wanted to impose a challenge upon myself. I thought, what can I do without, that would make for an interesting challenge? ...No solar/wind? ...No Trade Platform? ...Starting "fresh" on Barren or Radiated?

Eventually, I was struck by the idea of trying to play the game without ever pressing E. I would never use the Deform/Terrain tool. It was going to be hard. Was it even possible? Surely, I can pick up stray materials from wrecks and such, so it's possible to get at least a few resources.

I started a fresh game. As a goal, I would "end" the "run" when I had built a Trade Platform and a Fuel Condenser, which is where, quite suddenly, I would have unlimited resources.

Shortly after I got out of my pod, I was taunted by the text above my head imploring me to "press E for Terrain Tool", as well as an indicator over the nearby compound field telling me to dig it up. However, I was committed. Even f it meant leaving that text there the whole playthrough, I would never touch that button.

I soon came up with a plan: I would walk out in different cardinal/sub-cardinal directions, searching the area until I hit 50% oxygen, at which point I would walk back to base.  After trying this 4 times, I saw some loot, one of the pyramids of spheres that would pop its top when you come near it. However, it was way too far out of my 50% oxygen walking distance (sprinting distance is even lower, of course). I was in a pickle. However, I remembered that items attached to the shoulders and in the backpack crafting inventory slot would remain through death. Therefore, I could run to the loot and put it on my shoulders, die, and drop it off at base.

It worked. From then on, every single run I did was a suicide run, since it meant doubling+ my search radius. I spent a half hour or so searching like that, eventually finding some compound. I made it into tethers, which increased my radius from its 200% status to about 250%.

Now, after about two hours, this is what I have. 58d22ad36aa3a_2017_03_2203_27_49.thumb.png.db15ca0e6fc69302cad6aab2f0cf61b6.pngIt's a pitiful amount. However, if I'm really determined to do this run, I can simply make world after world to try and have better RNG. This shows that it might be possible.

I have no idea what I would even make my first module be, to be honest. I was thinking Research, since I can relatively easily find researchables lying around, and pop them open for schematics and, more importantly, resources. I likely won't be needing a Smelter, and a Printer would do me no good. A Vehicle Bay sounds promising, but even a rover requires resources that I don't even know if I can get. Obviously, a Fuel Condenser and Trade Platform would be great, to end the run, but I'm not confident I can get there with my current situation.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying, or am I doomed to fail? If you're interested at all, I'll post some more. If you want to try it on your own, let me know how it works out!

(I'm not sure the images are functioning, so I'll detail what I have here, this is going to be a long list:

• Resin: 2
  • Aluminum: 2
  • Copper: 1
  • Tethers: 1 unit short of 1 stack [I have no idea what happened to it]
  • Research: 1 weird round pulsating thingy
  • Oh my gosh: I'm screwed, aren't I?

sendhelp)

ASTRONEER (Game Preview) 3_22_2017 3_28_15 AM.png

I think any challenge that employs dying is pointless.  You can walk out to 25% oxy and sprint back usually.

And yeh without digging resin and compound you won't really find enough to survive for long.  You could just limit yourself to resin and compound digging.  And then use a buggy to scout crashed ships only.

Oh and don't build a trade, printer, smelter or fuel condensor.. you don't need those.

Edited by Martin

I vote to keep at it! If you happen across a piece of compound, there's 11 tethers for you to extend your start point on your suicide runs.

Martin I agree to an extent, since right now death is so forgiving it feels silly.. but since Astroneer's current build is so open ended, the whole game is about creating our own goals, and this is a pretty unique and difficult one so I like it :)

keep us updated! i feel like this might turn into a weird "check back next week for the next episode" type thing, like "how many times have you died since last we saw you?!" :D start up a death count! i think it's possible

i think this is an AWESOME idea, gonna try it myself now actually.. if you find 3 resin to extend and build a base module then find 4 aluminum (which crash sites almost always have aluminum) you can build a vehicle bay, then 4 compound and a found seat you're free to travel with oxygen.. then if you find the needed resources to create a research module to make a fuel disspenser and trade platform you'll have everything you need..last night i found a winch burried in a cave, so who knows you may be able to make it far , great idea tho ??

This is an exceptionally hard challenge. Before you are able to build a research platform, you basically rely solely on finding resources in the pyramid shaped supply pods. You won't be able to get resources from most of the wrecks because you almost always need to dig them out in order to get to their resources.

It is possible to have a world generated by the game without any of those supply pods. In that case you are doomed to fail. And if you happen to start on a world that has not any of the trees with research pods on them, you have an increased difficulty even after managing to build a research platform.