Since Terran, and I believe all of the planets, spins on its axis perpendicular to its companion star, why then do we have seasons?

Without the variability of thermal mixing of disharmonious air currents, due to an off-kilter axis, seasons don't occur. Air currents or jet streams tend to be uniform for their particular latitude with only minor disturbances between bands. But temperature variations shouldn't vary considerably. Jupiter is an extreme example as its atmosphere is very thick without land masses to keep them in check.

I'm hoping someone has some astro-meteorological science facts to offer on way or the other.

Edited by travin

You mean why "don't" we have seasons?

Would be cool if it snowed in polar regions, rained elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Martin said:

Agreed

Technically, there is only one moon and that is the one that orbits Earth.  Astronomical term is a natural satellite. :)  

haha sorry couldn't resist.  Seasons or just different weather patterns in general would be very cool.

13 hours ago, MildCreature400 said:

You're taking this too seriously, planet spins, there's the sun, there's the moon. Congrats you've made a space game.

Yeah, because there are absolutely no other sandbox slash space games that have weather or seasons. Or farming mechanics, check the roadmap

Edited by travin

On 3/17/2017 at 11:04 AM, Martin said:

Yeah. I got myself turned around a bit on my post.

Yes, I'd like to see seasons in this game. However that would require planets that don't spin perpendicular to their star.

2 hours ago, travin said:

Yeah. I got myself turned around a bit on my post.

Yes, I'd like to see seasons in this game. However that would require planets that don't spin perpendicular to their star.

It would also require significantly longer years.  I'd have to double check, but a lot of the planets seem to have years shorter than their days.  "Four seasons in one day" is supposed to just be a saying, not literal. :)

1 hour ago, TwoHedWlf said:

It would also require significantly longer years.  I'd have to double check, but a lot of the planets seem to have years shorter than their days.  "Four seasons in one day" is supposed to just be a saying, not literal. :)

That would definitely be expecting too much.

This is another reason why an astro-meteorological viewpoint would be helpful. Like with tidal locked planets, planets that rotate fast, or have little to no atmosphere, they won't have seasons but those dynamics could create endemic weather. We already have some, but none that has an effect on gameplay, presently. Other than blocks and spikey balls. ;)

Edited by travin