I thought of an idea of an upgraded vehicle dock building that if you put a power generation unit and a perhaps a storage unit, then the vehicle bay could be upgraded to a dock, for feeding and care of vehicles.

The building would allow storage and changes to be made on vehicles, adapting them for current needs and storing the other parts while not in use. Also it allows the vehicle to dock and charge, making the building a decent plannable parking space/garage for trucks and rovers.

Edited by Goon124

Well, it basically does that already if you can somehow get your rover/truck close enough to plug it in (Grr, steering).  More specialized features for specific vehicles may be nice, as well as a distinction between 'garage' and 'landing pad' (and a way to tell when a landing pad is occupied) so your shuttle/spaceship doesn't land on your land vehicles or each other.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:34 AM, CherubimCW said:

Well, it basically does that already if you can somehow get your rover/truck close enough to plug it in (Grr, steering).  

But the storms still blows the rover away :-D

Im on the garage/dock bandwagon so I can lockdown the vehicles.

1 minute ago, Litho said:

But the storms still blows the rover away :-D

Im on the garage/dock bandwagon so I can lockdown the vehicles.

But you can just build an enclosure around the Vehicle Bay. This is what I do for my whole base, storms don't do jack anymore.

I do like the idea of an upgradable bay however.

1 minute ago, Secret Squirrel said:

But you can just build an enclosure around the Vehicle Bay. This is what I do for my whole base, storms don't do jack anymore.

I do like the idea of an upgradable bay however.

I agee (been building garages just under ground level) but I like the view of the world and my... umm .... design skills with the tool have a long ways to go lol

I like the idea of a vehicle dock specifically for locking down and reconfiguring vehicles, but it seems to me that's what the vehicle bay should already be doing.

i.e. when it prints a vehicle, that vehicle should be "locked down" and I should be able to snap on/off vehicle modules using the crane (or any crane, actually) and it shouldn't be able to move until the wheel locks are disabled

18 minutes ago, Trylobot said:

I like the idea of a vehicle dock specifically for locking down and reconfiguring vehicles, but it seems to me that's what the vehicle bay should already be doing.

i.e. when it prints a vehicle, that vehicle should be "locked down" and I should be able to snap on/off vehicle modules using the crane (or any crane, actually) and it shouldn't be able to move until the wheel locks are disabled

Just making sure that you know you can back up the rover and truck to the Vehicle bay and have it print directly to that Vehicle. 

But I agree that having it 'lock' or a break system on the vehicle would be great.

19 hours ago, Litho said:

I agee (been building garages just under ground level) but I like the view of the world and my... umm .... design skills with the tool have a long ways to go lol

Proper vehicle bays or shelters would be good. I just dont like my improvised lump of clay buildings either. Ugly...

Edited by SECOFR