So, over my hours playing this game, I've come to believe that the coal generator is by and large useless. Coal is as valuable as lithium and titanium, which are both much more useful, so I almost never would choose to funnel my resources into collecting coal. The coal generator requires 2 copper to build instead of just 1 copper for the organic generator, which makes it less likely for me to want to build. The coal generator may generate more energy, but this doesn't matter. When coal is as scarce as it is, and costs so much to produce, why build a coal generator at all when I can find grass anywhere to power a set of organic generators? Perhaps coal should be found in a similar fashion to finding Malachite or other resources, then I might be inclined to keep a coal generator around.

Thanks for reading!

4 minutes ago, ner0417 said:

Perhaps coal should be found in a similar fashion to finding Malachite or other resources

It sounds like you haven't been to any planets other than Terran... of course, it just sounds that way.  Then again, perhaps you're just extremely unlucky.  Either way, just stick to using any coal you come across on the trade platform. 

Coal generator gets pretty abundant actually once you moved to another planet, such as barren, arid, and exotic. And you can find more of it deeper on terran.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:11 AM, Pi_ said:

It sounds like you haven't been to any planets other than Terran... of course, it just sounds that way.  Then again, perhaps you're just extremely unlucky.  Either way, just stick to using any coal you come across on the trade platform. 

I have, but only briefly. I explored a couple different planets (radiated, arid, and a moon I believe?) but found literally nothing on them worth anything, just a bunch of compound and resin. But hey, I'll snag a shuttle on my new playthrough and see what I can find.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:24 AM, Lithium said:

Coal generator gets pretty abundant actually once you moved to another planet, such as barren, arid, and exotic. And you can find more of it deeper on terran.

See, I've gone so deep into Terran that I gave up because I never found anything better than the aluminum ore deposits. I'm probably just unlucky. I'll have to get a shuttle on my new playthrough and head to space again.