nick murphy

Dome...above ground?

I was just thinking, has anyone tried to make a dome above ground over their base? I will personally have to try this out. Would it be very dark once fully enclosed, even with an opening, I wondering just how dark it would actually get. I am sure the buildings would give off more than enough light so see around you. Perhaps it would just be like going underground. What do you all think?

25 minutes ago, nick murphy said:

I was just thinking, has anyone tried to make a dome above ground over their base? I will personally have to try this out. Would it be very dark once fully enclosed, even with an opening, I wondering just how dark it would actually get. I am sure the buildings would give off more than enough light so see around you. Perhaps it would just be like going underground. What do you all think?

You can use tethers as lamps :>

I've seen someone else do it on their multi player game, it takes time but its definitely do able.

And the light loss isn't that much either.

I landed in a ravine and ended up putting a "roof" over it. I used tethers on the ceiling for a little extra light.

3 hours ago, nick murphy said:

Did this on Arid, light loss was like going underground, but it was worth it to not get killed by the spike wind. It did take a bit, and did end up using tethers for additional light.

You can't make a dome.. at least not a smooth curved inside, the ue4 engine just doesn't support that, but you can make an angular roof with smoothed parts,  takes awhile to do.

And yes, use tethers as lights.  That works very nicely.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:29 PM, The_Gump said:

Something like this....

That is an insane base, very good use of the flattening tool. Where do you get the power from, might I ask? I didn't notice any solar panels and the only wind turbine I saw was on a rover.

9 hours ago, MildCreature400 said:

That is an insane base, very good use of the flattening tool. Where do you get the power from, might I ask? I didn't notice any solar panels and the only wind turbine I saw was on a rover.

Thanks.... Watch until the end... (it's on the roof)

Edited by The_Gump
Word

I've been wanting to go geodesic but I just haven't had the time for it.

Edited by travin