Chapmanzee

Either fuel shouldn't be tradeable or the Fuel Condenser should be taken out of the game.

4 minutes ago, PhoenixRhapsody said:

I'm hearing a lot of people not listening to the points being made for either side, either because they aren't reading the posts or aren't explaining themselves enough.

There are two problems with the system as it currently exists.

1) The Hydrazine condenser removes the need to search for more resources, so leaving it as is upon release would provide an exploit that could drastically ruin a core component of the game.

2) This game is neither complete nor competitive. The game is currently in a co-operative setup, so concepts like "balance" and "fairness" are moot points, thus have no place in the conversation about the state of the game. Yes, it is possible to get everything in the game with a Hydrazine trading farm, but those are not intended to remain as they are. At this point, they work well to show that A) trading works and B) building a large base won't crash the game.

If any of you are concerned about the balance of the game, quit playing Astroneer now, since bug fixing and stability in the engine are infinitely more important to the devs right now than whether or not it is "fair" that you and a friend can get every item in the game for free. In fact, building lots of tethers is something the devs have asked the player base to do for the BETA steam build, which is much more difficult to test when the players have to constantly be searching for more resource nodes.

Sorry if this comes across as short, that's not my intention. Some of you people just need to slow down, breathe, and take a moment to think about what the person you're about to hastily reply to really meant.

This ^

I have a feeling that they left the fuel so easily obtainable is so that people can get to the other planets more easily to test out space travel and the environments of the other planets. I do not doubt that they will look over the balance of fuel and trading. That said it seems a bit counter-intuitive to be arguing why people shouldn't discuss a specific suggestion in the subform for discussing suggestions... so, I'll keep that going.

I also feel that there needs to be another step in getting the rocket fuel, straight from electricity to hydrazine is a bit too easy and makes having the naturally forming areas of hydrazine virtually pointless. Adding a requirement of hydrazine crystals though would require a more permanent source than just constantly going out to search for it. Maybe eventually much later in the development, they could have permanent blocks (like with oxygen/energy/compound/resin) that you can create a path to or even (with an advanced research) create a device that essentially causes a "pipeline" of the resource to automatically get sent to your condenser. Ideas!

Yes this game is about exploration, and people are saying this removes the point of exploring as you get "unlimited resources".

But there needs to be a point in the game where the player has advanced enough that they no longer need to explore to get resources. 

This is alpha/beta so there are many features and quality of life stuff not yet implemented. 

Regardless of if this stays or goes, I think we would then have other reasons to explore, other than to just gather resources, so this issue then becomes minor.

Maybe later on, certain structures can only be built underground, or on mountains, or next to moons etc.

There are going to be so many more reasons to explore that aren't yet implemented!

My point being, it's beta, and I'm hoping for systems that make us explore for more than just resources. 

How about make Hydrazine cheaper, need MUCH more power to make, have the fuel condenser work slower and nerf solar panels slightly. That will hopefully make it possible to use hydrazine for infinite resouses but usefully more practical to just mine them.

Yet another non-argument 'they should be focusing on bugfixing and optimisation'. Yeah, nobody is saying they shouldn't be. We all know full well that their most important goals are to fix all the crashes and P0 bugs, making the game optimised enough to where playing on the same save doesn't eventually break the game. Nobody is saying 'please stop fixing bugs and work on balance' therefore this isn't really an argument against balance changes being made at some point in the future. Neither does it mean we should stop discussing it right now, or stop playing the game right now. It's a discussion forum and we're discussing.

And once again, the fact that the game isn't PvP does not mean that mechanics needn't be balanced. Of course if it were PvP there would definitely be more avenues of thought when deciding how to balance certain aspects, but every game needs balance and a difficulty curve in order to achieve maximum engagement. If this combination of mechanics (condenser+trade for infinite resources) stays exactly the way it is, the difficulty curve will remain a declining slope into a sudden and underwhelming flatline rather than an actual curve.

On 12/19/2016 at 8:27 AM, Nafen said:

That's possibly because iron isn't in the game yet afaik but if you actually look you will find the other resources except maybe coal since i believe its only found on other planets than the starting one (unless on the starting one its just really rare or really deep)

Also if you think that titanium and lithium are rare then you really havent 'explored' much (which is what people keep repeating they only want to do) since you can get more titanium and lithium than you can even store xD Also coal is only useful for generating Power which by the time you find any coal and make a generator for it, power is no longer an issue. So nerfing trade by removing titanium, lithium and coal would not fix anything at all. It's the fact that people are making a rarer resource out of nothing but power and a bit of time (lessened by just doubling power production/storage and double the amount of condensers) and then trading it for common resources such as resin to build base and metal to build more buildings like printer and more condenser :D 

First of all please don't spread hate, people can have differing opinions without needing to hate each other. Getting a bit of resources is not a chore and doesn't take hours of grinding in fact you can start getting multiple tanks of Hydrazine before you even build your first building, something that happened on my first world when I didn't know what all the resources were used for I found hydrazine and used up all my power gathering it only to find that i couldnt even use it for quite a bit of time :D 

It's not like resources are lacking in the world or that the collection of resources is tedious, you point a gun at them and click and they go in your backpack i mean what's grindy about that?

If you want to get resources from nothing, just make a suggestion for Creative mode and let people alone who actually want a balanced game.

*facepalm* I agree I think I've been playing to much minecraft to mistake compound for iron ? Maybe I shouldn't have played five years ?

On 19/12/2016 at 10:03 AM, Chapmanzee said:

Seriously dude, did you even read what I posted. There is NO challenge to that! You keep saying that this game isn't competitive, you couldn't be more wrong. It's you and other players vs. the game, that's the competition. I want the game to be a well balanced challenge which will make it more exciting for players, you want a game in which you can do anything you want at any time and I'm telling you that for the vast majority of people that won't be fun. Exploration for the sake of exploration is BORING, there has to be a reward for it. If the main point of the game is exploration then what is your problem with making it a challenge? It doesn't have to be a grind either but at least make the game interesting. 

You're saying "just don't use it", I'm saying that the mere existence of this exploit makes the game worse whether I use it or not because it trivialises one of the major parts of playing this game. And I'm not saying remove the trade beacon or the fuel condenser, but they sure as hell need to nerf them.

Agreed.