Useful dust storms?

Sidegamer

One day I was surviving a dust storm when a large, square rock landed in my storage pit and… disappeared. I understand that these rocks need to disappear or else extreme lag will occur, but what is the use of dust storms? While slowing the player down they… um… have no use. So I was thinking:

Why not catch these rocks?

Using some sort of net-like structure (look at Fig 1) the blown rocks could be “caught” at a 1/25 chance of rock passing in it’s hitbox per each net. These “rock nets” would require 1 resin and 1 aluminum to make in the printer. They would be about 1 ½ times as tall as the player and as wide, being a square. They could be walked through and driven through, as they would “fold down” when a dust storm leaves, and “spring up” as a dust storm approaches (Fig 2).  When catching the flying rocks the nets would get slightly damaged, shown by a “power” bar on the bottom. The caught rocks would act like unknowns, being able to be manipulated by the player. To get at the core, the rocks would have to be put into a new “melting module” or just be put on the top part of the furnace (where the flames come out). The core would have a 25% chance of getting resin/compound/organic. 10% chance of getting unrefined metals, 7% chance of getting refined metals or hydrazine, 3% chance of getting rare materials (Lithium, Coal, Titanium) 50% chance of getting a random player-created Item (small solar panels, TNT, air tank, etc.) 4.99% chance of getting nothing, and a 0.01% of getting a random zebra-ball.

Tell me what you think :D

//sidegamer

PS: Below are the drawings mentioned

Fig 1: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oLVX1rVHYLUtOOC4wKqajwsibyMPB6vsQm2Zr2Zwo00/edit?usp=sharing

Fig 2: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ApMWON0_SFYhv-vJn6DTj9wGyWPrsBj-6QC1EjK7RBQ/edit?usp=sharing

The Place where the rocks COULD go:

220kmWeCJvK428SSFfdxoe-MqjZIUkaZFgoatsYl_qz3lOQiXNfV1NDj4W8whF_lEwBEj0fJIhDKPGgRMV3bnoC5t5uanugW-WXPadxA7H0_G5G2v8c3h1dizwTlS-_xnf3ngHA-

What are you really going to do with these rock man, like you can just easily get some rocks, by digging the area around you.

But this mechanics actually happen to work on arid's tumblespikes. I heard if you caught them, they might actually drop an organic resource

An interesting thought, I like the idea of a kind of farming technique for those resources, gives ya more time to explore and harvest harder to find materials

The rocks in a dust storm is the same as on the ground, the wind is just strong enough to pick them up and throw them around. What makes the ones in the storm special?

I'd prefer to just be able to pick up rocks and break them to find fossils from previous life forms, learn how they survived and learn personal backpack research like spears to kill space lizards. Then we can nom nom. 

7937fa18a57fa80ac38e0e57a8757417.jpg

Edited by VirtualJunky

yeah, i think this would be a great idea. you could grind up the rocks in a grinder (base module) and get resources from them. the resources could vary for every planet

resin-compound for terran

laterite-malachite-coal for exotic

lithium-titanium for arid

lithium-coal for tundra

Technically, don't the dust storms provide wind, which charges wind turbines and electricity?

It might be fun to catch some of the rocks being blown about, but really, I think they're just ordinary rocks. Perhaps there could be some compound or resin that it kicks up, and maybe even erodes some surface features so it knocks whatever resources are found in surface deposits around? Other than that I think they're mostly just an obstacle/charging turbines.

To be fair, sand and dust on planets with low gravity and air pressure bunch up and "wield" together, in a ball. I thought that resources could be blown off the sides of mountains and from the ground and be caught inside of these rock "hairballs" and be used by the player.