Truck driving mechanics

The system of driving the truck and or the rover is really wonky. Or as I mean to say a bit unstable, having the direction of the wasd keys in the director of the camera or player view point direction really makes it tough to drive and get around. Sometimes when connecting trucks together with the extra storage 3d printed on causes bus with driving as I have observed the wheel getting stuck into the wheel guard. It is rather unpleasant and rubberbanding occurs, other than that the game is beautiful for a early alpha game and the low poly style is really good for low end computer players. Keep up the good work!!!

Yeah you're not alone in disliking the vehicle controls. Some people like them, no idea why...

But I believe it's on the list of things to fix, probably (understandably) not top priority at the moment  though.

I hope  they do not change the driving concept at all. Maybe some tweaking can be done, but I myself find it refreshing when something is done different than in all the other games.

Just my 2.

I've actually noticed this more since the latest update on Xbox, everytime I get out of the driver's seat, the whole thing acts like it's being electrocuted. My latest fiasco (dunno if it was something I did or not) sent it glitching into the sky, then disappearing, and reappearing several more times a significant distance away until it totally vanished lol

the steering is not a problem. i like it too as it is different. but with a bit practice it can be very funny. just never panic when driving next to the abbyss :D

what my problem is, is that the rover has the weight of 2 feathers... i flip EVERY 5 seconds. i started to skip the rover and go for the truck. the truck is a little bit heavier (+2 feathers) and flips just every 20 seconds.

On 06/03/2017 at 0:40 AM, Joncon said:

Yeah you're not alone in disliking the vehicle controls. Some people like them, no idea why...

But I believe it's on the list of things to fix, probably (understandably) not top priority at the moment  though.

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle controls, the problem is the person steering.

There physixs issues aside, trucks are fine.

23 minutes ago, Martin said:

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle controls, the problem is the person steering. 

Oh I see, you like them so anyone who doesn't has a problem? Thanks for that nugget of wisdom Martin. 

3 hours ago, Martin said:

There physixs issues aside, trucks are fine.

Actually I disagree with both of these comments...

Controls aren't plausible. Vehicles now move like hovercrafts. Vehicles should always (apart from sliding in a fast speed) move to the direction of wheels.

Physics at other hand have some very good points.

• Like the weight of the vehicle affects to acceleration.
  • Different gravity on different planets affect to vehicle's tendency to get airborne.

I personally like the way rovers drive. They drive slightly differently than trucks bucause trucks will attempt to face forward when you try to drive backwards, but rovers can drive backwards no problem (very useful when connecting them to other vehicles). I would love to see trucks drive like that, but overall the driving is actually quite nice in my opinion.

20 hours ago, ESa said:

Controls aren't plausible. Vehicles now move like hovercrafts. Vehicles should always (apart from sliding in a fast speed) move to the direction of wheels.

Did you try it with a controller? I don't have one right now, so I can't, but I assume the current controls are made in a way that Xbox One players can actually properly control them, too. Which means the current controls are a compromise until they manage to implement an option to change between 2 control types.

Btw technically they move in the direction of the wheels, but the steering is linked to your camera. From my PoV it's almost exactly like the Halo controls (but we had such discussions already).

13 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Did you try it with a controller? I don't have one right now, so I can't, but I assume the current controls are made in a way that Xbox One players can actually properly control them, too. Which means the current controls are a compromise until they manage to implement an option to change between 2 control types.

Btw technically they move in the direction of the wheels, but the steering is linked to your camera. From my PoV it's almost exactly like the Halo controls (but we had such discussions already).

Xbox controller works great for driving and controls, just the physics are entertaining lol. I've not had any problems controlling where I want to go, even scaling mountains side to side with the truck, handling works very well

I play PC. Perhaps Xbox controls are different. That would explain why some players hate controls, some say they are ok or even good.

On 07/03/2017 at 9:24 AM, Joncon said:

Oh I see, you like them so anyone who doesn't has a problem? Thanks for that nugget of wisdom Martin. 

You're welcome.  And it's a fact.  You are afterall saying that those of us who disagree with you are the problem.   When I'm only saying you're the problem.  Truth hurts eh.

21 hours ago, Martin said:

You're welcome.  And it's a fact.  You are afterall saying that those of us who disagree with you are the problem.   When I'm only saying you're the problem.  Truth hurts eh.

This kind of discussion does not contribute to the topic, so please, do not continue it (this goes for both sides).
The controls are a completely subjective thing after all.

On 8.3.2017 at 9:51 AM, Wyvyrias said:

yup. its cool with a controller. i often switch to the controller when i drive. the controls are not a problem. other games than astroneer has gone this way of controlling a vehicle. i just can quote my post above. the weight of the rover and the truck are the problem. they are not stable. most of the time i race the truck und drag an upsidedown rover behind me, making all the time anoying noises :D

I'm not going to say the controls are wonky.  I'm going to say they're garbage.  I hate it, and it makes no sense whatsoever, and I don't care how many other games also have the same garbage controls.  Honestly, it's the one thing that could convince me to stop playing the game.  I let it pass right now because it's pre-alpha.

Real steering is not that complicated.  Forward is forward (toward the front of the vehicle), not where the camera happens to be pointing.

7 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

Real steering is not that complicated.  Forward is forward (toward the front of the vehicle), not where the camera happens to be pointing.

/Agreed

You can still control direction of travel with the keys.  In conjunction with the camera, you can traverse any terrain.   It's simple and straight forward.  Reversing takes getting used to, as you need to invert the direction.

On 20/03/2017 at 2:43 AM, Mike Brocaglia said:

I just started using my truck/rover more often. I like the controls, but I think it could either move just a bit slower or simply stop flipping after hitting a pebble... 

Yeh this is due to a lack of "weight" in the vehicle, a rover should really move at a crawl, but noone would find that fun.  A crawl like a golf cart type of speed.  ie 10-15mph max.

Then there's the issues with lower gravity.. like racing on the moon or worse on can't think of the name of it now, the frozen outer planet.

i hate the halo style driving, id rather have an accelerator a break/reverse pedel and steering, makes way more sense since you'd be able to look around and take in the sights while continuing your straight line, as of right now if i want to look left or right while moving im forced to go in that direction or completely stop all together.. it'd be great if they could add the option to choose between the halo style driving or the normal style driving then everyone can have the style they enjoy to use

I don’t like the way the steering work currently. With the 3’rd person view it invites to look around when driving. That’s hard when looking also affect your direction of travel. It’s difficult to set a course and holding it, a lack of compass when in a vehicle also contributes to that.