Found a living creature on the  Barren moon. Moving constantly, well squirming. Looked like it was trying to lure something over to eat.

I declined its offer.

Astroneer life.jpg

Aww don't be scared, go ahead and touch his red lure... it's actually a pretty cool game mechanic.

5 hours ago, Pi_ said:

Aww don't be scared, go ahead and touch his red lure... it's actually a pretty cool game mechanic.

Is it supposed to do something? It didnt do anything when I found it

I like to give most advanced flora space.  The red gasburpers?  They die immediately.  Hate those things. (Except there are times their green light from afar makes things pretty in caves)

5 hours ago, AstroSamson920 said:

I like to give most advanced flora space.  

Agreed, the green gas spitters can be a pain sometimes.  However I would classify what's pictured in the OP as fauna.  Actually, when they appear on the floor of a cave instead of the ceiling (all you see is the dark pod with the yellow "eyes"), they're harmless.  You can even stand directly on top of it and it does nothing.

5 hours ago, Pi_ said:

Agreed, the green gas spitters can be a pain sometimes.  However I would classify what's pictured in the OP as fauna.  Actually, when they appear on the floor of a cave instead of the ceiling (all you see is the dark pod with the yellow "eyes"), they're harmless.  You can even stand directly on top of it and it does nothing.

Right now it really is up to the point of view of the player.  There is a lot of plant life that does behave much like animals as a defense mechanism, so I choose to see it as flora.

And you gotta figure that those crazy devs will sneak in a behaviour change to one of those things in an update.  Such as the one that sits in the ground, may just explode like dynamite if you stand on it.

Did you know that the seeds that pop out from the spike plants do plant themselves to grow new spike plants?  And can even do so on the surface?  Something to think about if you wish to grow some defenses for your base.

2 hours ago, AstroSamson920 said:

Did you know that the seeds that pop out from the spike plants do plant themselves to grow new spike plants?

Funny you should ask, in fact I'm "painfully" aware of the spiker seeds. xD

I was streaming Astroneer the day after the seeds were released in patch 119.  Take a look at how the seeds behaved back then...

https://clips.twitch.tv/WealthyBetterHarePJSalt

@Pi_ Holy cow. I had carried them on the backpack and even had a couple on storage, but they did not sprout there.  It was only after I had let them lay on the ground that they had sprouted.

I am definitely going to be more cautious with them if I feel the desire to put them to use.