Beren99

Underground Radar/Seismic Surveyor

As a geologist and mineral exploration researcher I can say a tech that would be great for some reality and utility would be a subsurface seismic surveyor (or underground radar). It could work much like the ones we use now. Take the rig out to a site, place a charge (x # of dynamite depending on tier) and then boom! It would give an image of the resources, caves, etc in some hemisphere underground (or sideways?) You could either show the actual resource (like looking through walls that happens by accident) or just "density anomalies" within the range. This would make "mining" rather than "caving" easier but not broken. You could also make certain planets (such as radiated) interfere with the machine so it won't work where there are key/rare resources (too much astronium...?)

Also I love the game and my friends laughed when we played the first time and I was like "HEY! Laterite! That is totally an aluminium deposit so we can go make our vehicle bay now!" (greatest video game moment in a long time)

Edited by Beren99

Being able to "ping" resource deposits underground would be a great idea. Except for physically seeing evidence of them, I haven't found any otherwise.

I think it would need to be made of titanium to survive the shock from the dynamite and should be like the crane attachment for vehicles, the real rigs are pretty big and heavy. Instead of digging it "attaches" pointing in a certain direction when you click on the rock. I can also see more than one size that either have just variable "depth of field" or give better resolution on what is in the ground. If you want even more real then bigger/better ones should have 3 extensions (like nodes on the base) off the main and use 3 dynamite as triangulation makes the resolution way better.  I think it would also be a great addition to the uses of the new dynamite (which is awesome).

I have searched for "buried" resources I expected to find on certain planets and it takes A LOT of blind digging or luck to find them.

5 hours ago, Beren99 said:

I think it would need to be made of titanium to survive the shock from the dynamite and should be like the crane attachment for vehicles, the real rigs are pretty big and heavy. Instead of digging it "attaches" pointing in a certain direction when you click on the rock. I can also see more than one size that either have just variable "depth of field" or give better resolution on what is in the ground. If you want even more real then bigger/better ones should have 3 extensions (like nodes on the base) off the main and use 3 dynamite as triangulation makes the resolution way better.  I think it would also be a great addition to the uses of the new dynamite (which is awesome).

I have searched for "buried" resources I expected to find on certain planets and it takes A LOT of blind digging or luck to find them.

I like this idea, it would give a good way to find Astronium when there is a use for it.