Or to be more precise - safety as a resource.

The idea is to have automated defensive turrets that one might even be able to attach to their backpack (and most definitely to their vehicles or base structures). No point-and-click shooting. Might require energy and/or special ammo resource to fire. Having these would create a zone of (relative) safety in environments with hostile wildlife and would turn any potentially deadly animal into a bit more intelligent version of the gas cloud emitted by underground plants. If these turrets actually kill animals they can be later turned into Organic resource.

Larger version of automated defence might be required to protect your base from larger animals or other threats such as meteor storms.

And if the System Era team really doesn't want guns even in this form - they might be turned into shield generators and wildlife repelling devices (through sound, flashes of light or other radiation).

I would be much happier if guns were excluded, the shield generator idea is nice. I've seen it once or twice for various things, such as protecting bases from dust storms.

At least a part of my idea was useful. :D

In addition to the obvious I can imagine shield generators be needed for handling some sort of unstable resources or entering particularly hostile environments, getting your ship through an asteroid field. Heck, maybe there can even be more advanced shields that convert absorbed damage/projectiles into some kind of resource.

Other ways of generating safe zones might be good old walls and fences (which can also be force fields) and some more specific things like lures for wildlife, so you can hopefully direct them into a hole.

But I guess this topic is now less and less about guns, so... yeah. ;)

4 hours ago, SiaC said:

At least a part of my idea was useful. :D

In addition to the obvious I can imagine shield generators be needed for handling some sort of unstable resources or entering particularly hostile environments, getting your ship through an asteroid field. Heck, maybe there can even be more advanced shields that convert absorbed damage/projectiles into some kind of resource.

Other ways of generating safe zones might be good old walls and fences (which can also be force fields) and some more specific things like lures for wildlife, so you can hopefully direct them into a hole.

But I guess this topic is now less and less about guns, so... yeah. ;)

Don't understand how you can save the rule without weapons and have competitive experience

12 hours ago, bony_228 said:

Don't understand how you can save the rule without weapons and have competitive experience

If someone really needs that there might be a set of goals that need to be achieved or some sort of point system. For instance the end goal is to build an interstellar spaceship and that would require resources that can only be found on specific planets (so you have to be able to visit them all). Points could be awarded for being the nth player to achieve a milestone (like first rover/truck/shuttle/astronium miner/tundra planet explorer etc).

In a team vs team environment it would mean a balance between building your own bases and disrupting your competitors - stealing resources and digging holes under them... literally ;)

In free for all going out of your way to damage others would put you at a disadvantage, but people can always try some unstable alliances to slow down someone who's really way ahead.