Truthseerguy

Never get lost again! Global navigation and how you do it:

Hi Everyone,

• Any of you ever get frustrated by getting lost during exploration?
  • Get turned around in that cave, come out a different entrance and never see your base again?

Well suffer no further! Here is a [near] foolproof method of GLOBAL navigation, tried, tested and verified: The Beacon Meridian Method.

Presentation1b.thumb.png.9107bc5eb5d160ab56376c63a77a1521.png

Fig 1. The Beacon Meridian Method of global navigation.

Step 1: Make beacons. For example, you will eventually need about 10-14 depending on terrain for Terran.

Step 2: Drive North from your base, dropping beacons as you go (see Fig 1, second panel). Be sure to look over your shoulder and keep the last beacon in sight. Ideally, you should be able to approach one beacon and see the next on the horizon.

Step 3: North Pole. Make a short column and place a beacon on top.

Step 4: Drive back to base along your beacon meridian and continue South, dropping beacons as you go (see Fig 1, third panel).

Step 5: South Pole. Make a short column and place a beacon on top.

Sounds great, but... how do I use it to navigate???  ----> SOLUTION: If you get lost, just drive by dead-reckoning until you reach the beacon line. If you have no clue at all which way to go, drive West or East and you will encounter the beacon meridian (see Fig 1, fourth panel). Then head North or South. If you are really lost, you will end up at one of the poles before reaching your base (evidenced by the column, so don't bother looking for the next beacon) and simply have to turn around and go in the opposite direction, eventually reaching your base.

Using this system, you can explore the entire planet and never worry about not making it back home. I hope you all find this useful.

Cheers!

-TSG

This does work wonders. I usually just make a beacon trail from my base up to the north pole and leave it at that. It's easy to find the north pole from anywhere on the planet, so then I can just follow the beacons back to base. Only takes 3-4 beacons.

I should also mention that when I colonize a new planet, I just build the base on the north pole. You always know your way back home using the compass, and no beacons required.

4 minutes ago, kioga said:

There is a compass now?

Always has been, just mouse over your character and it shows up around your feet. Tip: Hold down right mouse button, and then even when getting into a car it will still be there (although kinda hard to see).

I've been doing this from the beginning, especially to the north because I like that direction. There's a long discussion thread about methods of wayfinding.

However, I also make short NSEW tether lines like a four-point graph so that I can freely explore the area on foot. I don't usually use a vehicle except for long distances. So I tether line in all four cardinal directions, about 20 tether lengths, and drop a beacon every 10 tethers, except for North, which I usually do about 30-40. makes it so much easier to explore without dying all the time. If I get into trouble I know I can just sprint toward a tether line. It's not fool proof, cause I'm a fool, but all I have to do is look to the horizon to orient myself with the beacon tags. That and the stars and I don't need much else.

Edited by travin

The problem with tracking to a line of beacons, is that the planets aren't nice and smooth. 

You can travel west or east for 30mins+ and find nice and smooth, then find mountains, ravines etc like the grand canyon for miles in every direction.

Sure you can tunnel or bridge your way, but that's slow work.   What you need is a map you can look at, so you can work out the easy path instead of just wasting time doing everything the hard way.

When I get lost, I look toward the sky and find the row of clustered stars.  I then position myself where they're directly overhead.  You can move either way and follow them to your main base.  Worked for me every time, even if I get turned around and have to travel around the planet.

Now see, I thought of doing something like this.  I put my first beacon down and my truck disappeared!  lol That's how I found the bug I reported to begin with.  I think I'll try it again on foot.

This is a fantastic idea. I have never explored a vast majority of the planets I land on for fear of getting lost. I recall losing my base on the Barren Moon and driving for hours looking for it and never finding it. I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks, OP.

12 minutes ago, Deltafox4 said:

You should just cover your whole planet in tethers. I wonder what that would like from space.

Your GPU would catch fire before you were halfway done :P