Sign in to follow this  
Zwirni

Upgrades (Solution Outline)

As a new branch of ingame activities, I suggest upgrade paths of character traits and parameters like oxygen capacity of backpack/tanks, battery capacity of the cars.

What's needed:

1. New platform or modded research station, a blend of the smelter and research platform, where the research branch can be selected and the required inputs are displayed as holograms.
E. g. Branch chosen "Oxygen capacity +X%", inputs required: 2x titan, 2 oxygen, 1 particular research artifact

2. Maybe a multi stage research process per upgrade increment for higher level upgrades, maybe even some chance of failure per step

Possible Upgrade paths:

The afore mentioned
- oxygen capacity
- battery capacity (backpack, vehicles, addon batteries)
- terraforming range
- energy efficiency of tools, generators and converters
- protection or health against physical damage, poison and fall damage
- range of the space ships

Pros:
- put all the rare elements to good use
- probably pretty easy to implement, much reuse of existing content
- possibly open ended; Want the tenth increment of the oxygen cap upgrade? Bring 20 titan 20 oxygen and prepare to fail 50% of the times
- sends you of to aquire specific artifacts and ressources, for the questing fans

Cons:
- could become grindy
-

This thread is sort of similar to my own upgrades thread.

It has much of my more detailed ideas. I think upgrades could be useful for gameplay, but upgrades should be focused on the technology of the game rather than player ability. Player ability is inherently enhanced through technology.

The game already has several upgrades: want more oxygen? get a tank. More energy? add a battery. So we can imagine that a deform upgrade might be a vacuum pump that attaches to the backpack, and perhaps could also be attached to the crane to improve drill performance. Limited slots add a natural limit and trade-off to going too crazy with upgrades.

This system can still do a lot of what you suggest - it comes down to which modules are available. Higher end costs could controlled with rare materials, expensive printers, or perhaps printing lesser modules into superior ones.

Thinking about this I'm reminded of the system in Total Annihilation and it's derivatives (Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation). Commander can make basic buildings, including factories. Factories build basic units, including fabricators. Fabricators build advanced buildings and factories. So if (and I'm unsure if this is wise) Astroneer were to have tech levels, you could do the progression entirely within the current paradigm by having a lower level version on the build path to a later one.

However one of the things I love about the game is clarity of the module system and the discoverability of the crafting recipies, so while I want bigger goals to work towards, I don't want things to get complex enough that I need a wiki open on the side just to play.

38 minutes ago, wondible said:

The game already has several upgrades: want more oxygen? get a tank. More energy? add a battery.

This is one of the things I think forms the basis for my own ideas on upgrades. Augmenting one's own abilities in-game can be done entirely with the tools we have at hand, and, even better, forces you to make decisions. Want more oxygen/battery space? Sacrifice some cargo capacity. If you want more of everything, that's what vehicles are for.

However one of the things I love about the game is clarity of the module system and the discoverability of the crafting recipies, so while I want bigger goals to work towards, I don't want things to get complex enough that I need a wiki open on the side just to play.

This is another major thing I love about Astroneer: it's so simple, once you get the hang of it. Forget so many resources, forget alloys and combinations of everything and a lot of crafting complexity. Astroneer should focus on gameplay, maybe a bit of lore, maybe improving mechanics, and leave the crafting system mostly where it is right now. It's unique and great.

Interesting direction with the

On 21.2.2017 at 2:13 AM, wondible said:

The game already has several upgrades: want more oxygen? get a tank. More energy? add a battery. So we can imagine that a deform upgrade might be a vacuum pump that attaches to the backpack, and perhaps could also be attached to the crane to improve drill performance. Limited slots add a natural limit and trade-off to going too crazy with upgrades.

This system can still do a lot of what you suggest - it comes down to which modules are available. Higher end costs could controlled with rare materials, expensive printers, or perhaps printing lesser modules into superior ones.

Thinking about this I'm reminded of the system in Total Annihilation and it's derivatives (Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation). Commander can make basic buildings, including factories. Factories build basic units, including fabricators. Fabricators build advanced buildings and factories. So if (and I'm unsure if this is wise) Astroneer were to have tech levels, you could do the progression entirely within the current paradigm by having a lower level version on the build path to a later one.

The game does have some produceable items that expand one of the resources of the character. The upgrades I envisioned work on these.

They need not have any visual representation in the game world. Hence the simple implementation. No new items to design, no expansion of the item list, only game mechanics. Simply a factor on the resource pools that is manipulated by the upgrade research activity as outlined. The natural limits and trade-offs could become pushable boundaries without adding to the item list. (Imagine clicking through a hundred items on the printer to find the tech level 10 gas tank. Unpleasant in the current UI-scheme.)

I dwell in memories of TA often. I remember in Supreme Commander you started with your basic commander able only to construct basic units. Through upgrades he could be enabled to build everything and build faster than anything else.

The recycling of lower level items on the way to higher level stuff appears unneccessary and clunky in the 3D-printing paradigm. You produce your items from basic materials, so put in the mats for the high tech stuff and print away.

The clarity and simplicity of the game is a big plus that should be maintained throughout the development. That's why I'm suggesting the simple representationless factor on life, oxygen, energy and other things that could be upgradable traits.

Example
 The player works through maybe 3 upgrades, has the quest-like experience of getting 3 specific research artifacts to the research/upgrade station and enjoys a free slot on the backpack because the upgraded primary tank takes as much O2 as the basic tank + extra gas tank or enjoys running twice as long on the O2 in both tanks.

- The trade-off consideration and decision-making remains the same.
- Easy to implement
- unbounded progression with some deminishing returns mechanic
- questing experience