Moonminer008

Extreme

Is it possible to dig away the whole planet? And if so, what happens with the storms or worms? Will the storm continue to fly around in the usual path?

Technically it should be possible, yes.
No one tried it yet (I think), but I suspect storms would continue as usual since no one would actually ever dig away the whole planet anyway.

I guess if someone were to dig away the whole planet they would learn about the tendencies of the storms and where they would stand if the whole planet were gone. ;)

I think there was someone who was trying to erase the moon. He gave up after awhile because the lag was intense.

1 hour ago, miertam said:

I think there was someone who was trying to erase the moon. He gave up after awhile because the lag was intense.

Wow that WOULD be a mission, and would be pretty cool to see actually how far they got. The biggest mission I had was setting up a base on every planet with every piece of the base and that lag became too intense lol 

Since we are talking about extreme, has anyone attempted building a space elevator?

If that were managed, one can even take it to the next step at constructing a ring around the planet.

In this video we see that the storm is the same out in space. So i guess that answer the question; the storm will be the same and hit you the usual way no matter where you are at? Or will it be infinitively stormy if you are in the very centre of the planet? 

10 hours ago, Moonminer008 said:

the storm is the same out in space.

I did similar ramp to space station than in the video. At one point there was endless storm, even debris flying, but they didn't affect to the character and little higher they stopped.

Storms seem physical objects circulating the geometrical sphere where the average surface is. Storms have height (at a certain altitude, little higher than mountain tops, they can't reach you any more). Therefore I believe, they have a certain depth too and it's not much deeper than the surface of the planet.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:30 AM, Wyvyrias said:

Technically it should be possible, yes.
No one tried it yet (I think), but I suspect storms would continue as usual since no one would actually ever dig away the whole planet anyway.

i think its impossible right now i did a decent size whole around my base and the fps went down into the 10s i dont think the game would be able to handle it as of now 

1 hour ago, ItsFaded said:

i think its impossible right now i did a decent size whole around my base and the fps went down into the 10s i dont think the game would be able to handle it as of now 

I must apologize. When I said "technically" I meant "it's technically possible, if it weren't for performance issues".
Some users who tried that did report unbearable low frame rates long before they could even come close to what they wanted to achieve.

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I must apologize. When I said "technically" I meant "it's technically possible, if it weren't for performance issues".
Some users who tried that did report unbearable low frame rates long before they could even come close to what they wanted to achieve.

lol i understood i was just posting a heads up in case anyone was to attempt it cuz my hole was probably 10 tethers in each direction and it isn't much!

This was discussed a while back, people were saying that to mine out the moon would take around 5k hours.  Which at normal play is probably around 10 years.

Normal play probably around 1-2 hours per day, every day..

Edited by Martin

Storms are an interesting subject to me. I would assume if you excavated an entire planet, the storms would be located on the chunks of geometry that were left. This would carry into eternal storm because there is literally nowhere else for them to spawn or move. It also makes me wonder if multiple storms do spawn at once, would it create a mega-storm on the small chunk of space rock you have left. 

Non-moving satellites (such as the minigame satellite) and objects would also be interestingly affected, and for a COMPLETE planetary erasure, I would think you'd first need to build an interplanetary bridge to connect you to power and oxygen, then slowly start removing chunks of the moon. (Now, if you want to build an interplanetary bridge between other planets, be my guest. Goooooooood luck with that)

Edited by p1nkbr0

All you'd need is a rover with a solar attached. 

The storms issue is something else tho, it might even be why people are lagging so much.