To encourage multiplayer, up to 4-5 players, allow different professions at launch that would match what a futuristic space colonization experience would have. for instance: 

1.) Doctor: Provides resurrect ability and eventually, if there are bio-enhancement labs or upgrades, the Doctor executing upgrades there will be at 50% material cost. Immune to poisons.

2.) Scientist: When utilizing the research lab, reduced by 50% of resources required to research.

3.) Engineer: When utilizing the printer or vehicle bay, reduced by 25% resources required. if there is an engineering lab eventually, for Astroneer gear upgrades, the engineer executing the selected upgrade on an Astroneer, would have those costs decreased by 25%.

4.) Botanist: When planting seed, grow-to-harvest time decreased by 50%.

5.) Pioneer: Run and vehicle speed increased by 25%, Oxygen and energy consumed at reduced rate of 25%

6.) Entrepreneur: When utilizing the trade platform, trade costs are reduced by 50%, and in some cases 1:1 ratio.

7.) Chemist: When utilizing the fuel condenser, cost to generate a fuel cell is reduced by 50%

8.) Metallurgist: When utilizing the smelter, cost to generate metals is reduced by 50%.

This will encourage more team dynamics and diversify game play with multiple players in a game.

There are several assumptions, such as bio and gear upgrade facilities, and a farm, details can be flushed out later if enough popularity of this idea takes hold.

Reference www.nasa.gov for the space colonist program for further details and source of my inspiration of this action.

I get the idea, but I think this complicates the otherwise minimalist and simplistic game, and also throws off balance. I mean, if you were a metallurgist, where would you put all of that metal? Or the chemist, with fuel. Perhaps if there were upgrades you could make(or just items on your backpack) that could do some of these things.

The point is to maintain simplicity, these are added perks for the professions. As for complicity thinking "where would you put all the extra..." these changes typically only affect one aspect of the game. e.g. resource of abc gathering, transport movement, building, etc... but not all. Thus the reason to segregate the bonuses, so a team of all, or some of the professions would have a significant effect to the successful creation and colonization of a world, vice a single player attempting to take advantage of one class versus all.

I wanted to steer away from one profession being able to do something other professions could do (Doctor is the only exception), but the adverse impact on gameplay is minimal. As the things these professions do is only give perks to doing something everyone can do anyways -- thus maintaing in he spirit of simplicity.

Your recommendation of giving specific professions the ability to make more gear slots would divert from that ethos, and encourage one profession versus the other innately and making more difficult to balance.

Edited by Green00Knight