John Platakis

Energy transfer to base from distant solar/wind plants

I believe a nice feature is that you could build a solar plant or wind turbine at some great distance from your base.

You could have your base in a cave and build a type of power plant with solar or wind power and transfer the energy back to base with tether-like connectors.

You could place a wind turbine on the top of a mountain where it is always windy and connect it to your base directly.

That'd be cool. I think there should be some power degredation over tethers, like each tether that is crossed for power makes the incoming power lose like .025%

My latest base has wind and solar production outside and the power is carried inside my (own built) 2-story cave base B|

ISSUE with this is that tethers carry power to ME but my actual base on the upper-floor is cut off from my power grid.

These "power cables" that connect the base pieces/rover etc. together, would be nice if you could build them separately, thus letting one to carry power where-ever they want and plug it in.
This would also allow you to build with more room in between structures leaving more room for your imagination/creativity.

Edited by Zymynca

I have solved this issue by running a long series of connection nodes (like 30) off of my base and up along an underground road to the surface where several wind turbines and solar panels are connected. They feed an array of batteries in my underground base. It would be a big improvement if you could control the length of the cables between base nodes like you can the tethers. Then you would still need to build several nodes (or many if the base is huge) but it would be much easier and the mechanic for base building would remain the same.

Edited by Beren99