Planet GPS co-ordinates and an altimeter

Would be great if the player was equipped with:

- GPS coordinates for each planet for navigation and

-  an altimeter to determine their altitude on the planet (height above the surface and depth below the surface)

Agree to the altimeter, since it is a simple physical concept and would help a lot, especially underground.

Gps would remove the necessity of active orientation by landmarks and beacons, wich I think is one core aspect of survival. So gps would spoil the challenge of finding your way. Also technically it relies on a bunch of sattelites which are carefully managed. Thats nothing you can build, when you are nearly alone on a planet.

I agree that GPS would spoil the survival part of the game BUT what if you could build your own satellite, set it to orbit around a planet and use it as a coordinate receiver or (if that makes it too easy) as a space beacon!

Getting lost on a planet was a new and fun experience (because I had a truck and a generator), so I'd like to keep it in a way. So instead of a marker on your base we could have a triangulation device that would try and lock on the nearest transmitter basically only giving the astroneer the distance to it. That reading in turn would be affected by the actual distance, planet's curvature, weather and such, so before setting a course you'd need to check the reading about 5 times or so and in different spots of course.

The altimeter would be useful and I'd add a compass and an artificial horizon to it so I can dig my tunnels at precise angles :)

How about a 'compass' that points to a selected beacon that can be set when you place the beacon. Better would be one you could redirect based on a list of beacons. At least choice of selected beacon and 'home' so you can always make it back to base.