SES_Adam

Feb. 9 - EXPERIMENTAL build updated, HELP NEEDED!

Hello!

We just pushed "122" to the EXPERIMENTAL build of the game on Steam. This update contains some fixes and updates that we'd like to do some testing with before we officially role it out to the main Steam, Win 10, and Xbox One versions.

If you want to play and help us test things out - thank you!

There's a few things you need to understand first:

• This is part of the EXPERIMENTAL build on Steam and is not at all compatible with your previous save games. When its pushed to the MAIN build of Astroneer the goal is for your save games to be compatible. But for now, you'll need to start fresh.
    • How do you join the EXPERIMENTAL build? In your Steam library:
      • Right Click on Astroneer
      • Properties
      • Betas tab
      • From the drop down select, "experimental - Latest untested builds"
      • Hit 'Close'
      • Steam should automatically grab that build. Once it's done, run the game. You're now running the Experimental build of Astroneer.
      • When you want to go back to the MAIN build, repeat these steps but choose "NONE" from the drop down list in 'Betas' tab.
  • We need your help testing bugs NOT from the main branch: I.E.: Report issues only relevant to the below update notes. Do not post bugs of things already happening in the main build!
    • Post your bugs as a reply to this post.
    • Any reply that is NOT a bug report will be removed by the moderators.
  • This is Experimental, expect things to break and be buggy.
  • Save Games are incompatible with Main build saves.

What's added to the EXPERIMENTAL build:

• Step 1 of our sweeping performance update. Flora, grass, and small vegetation now optimized to load/offload more intelligently.
  • Dynamite is in and can destroy terrain and things under them. E.g. Place them on top of a rover (Don't snap them together) and activate the Dynamite. Boom, no more rover.
  • Updated art and effects: Drop ship, Smelter, Trade Module
  • Updated launch sequence + effects.
  • New research items to discover, tweaks to Research gameplay
  • New wrecks to discover.
  • New idle animations

If you see any bugs pertaining to this update, please reply to this post with those issues. Any reply that is NOT a bug report will be removed by the moderators. Make sure you include system specs and steps to reproduce!

the conduit for the module disappeared, the extension was built in the previous session, and the base as build in the next session.

as soon as i put the 2 resin on the extension the conduit retracted and disappeared.

Screenshot 2017-02-09 15.21.57.png

Screenshot 2017-02-09 15.25.23.png

I'm experiencing major pop-in for resources that you can harvast. In the experimental build the resources have the same pop-in distance as flora, which is a very short range, even with viewing distance maxed out in settings. Wreckage is still visible from very far away.

In the experimental build the death animation bugs out sometimes. I experienced this twice by dying from killing those gas plants and trying running/jumping while being hit by it. It just seems to stop the animation and the character remains standing. I have been unable to reproduce this in the normal version.

Edited by boydbueno

Smelter disconnected and disappeared off of platform, weirdly I was still colliding with it (couldn't walk over the empty platform) but the visuals were wonky. Thanks! 

i7-5700, 970m, 16GB ram, steam install running windows 10. 

20170209160730_1.jpg

20170209161023_1.jpg

31 minutes ago, Kawaniwa said:

the conduit for the module disappeared, the extension was built in the previous session, and the base as build in the next session.

as soon as i put the 2 resin on the extension the conduit retracted and disappeared.

Screenshot 2017-02-09 15.21.57.png

Screenshot 2017-02-09 15.25.23.png

also they don't receive power after I built them into proper bases.

Tried multiple dynamites not attached to the starting habitat, did not destroy the habitat. 
Working as intended as a safe guard?

I had met only two bugs in one hour of playing the experimental version : 

First was when i had dropped a compound for making a rover he turned to blue color :

20170210005310_1.thumb.jpg.0a68771cbd75d5040fb05aaac7605fc1.jpg

The second was the missed position item on the new search things :

20170210002407_1.thumb.jpg.f1b9de2c143b5145bf9f793e8e4cade2.jpg

Thanks a lot for your work SES Team you're the best :)

- Nyda

Not sure if it is intended, but after blowing up a module with dynamite the node doesn't disappear and is unusable to create another module. Tested twice to confirm.

20170209190342_1.jpg

System specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161220-1747)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: MSI
             System Model: MS-7681
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/11 14:17:44 Ver: 04.06.04
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8160MB RAM
                Page File: 3893MB used, 5547MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Seeing a large jump in frame rate when running the new experimental version. from the mid 40s to low 60s.

Have not encountered any new bugs as of yet after a half an hour of playtime, will continue.

Power modules stop working on base and vehicles after reloading / game crash. Other power sources do work such as organic or solar.

20170209192238_1.thumb.jpg.eb1e58365d6387dea3d13580874bccad.jpg

As stated in the OP: if you are running old saves, you will run into issues as they are not compatible. Start a fresh save and report to us. 

i only had one problem so far and that is that when i entered to habitat with a full backpack of compound, it all disappeared after i came out

Post#1

update on what i said, it now all randomly appeared in front of me

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts

While running in a straight line across relatively flat terrain, the astroneer occasionally gets stuck as if blocked by an object - the running animation continues in place. Changing direction gets him "unstuck"; I am unable to recreate the problem when passing over the same area. 

Red Lights under other launch pods on space station do not blink. 
Not sure if that's a new feature or not, but I noticed it. The pod's landing thrusters and animations look great, by the way.

New large solar debris can be terraformed through almost all of the main chamber walls, 
the body of the wreck seems to not stop the terraformer like other debris does, though player collision is still accurate.

New reflective debris looks fantastic, but if looking at the reflection the game loses 15-30 fps.

If facing perpendicular to a storms direction while inside of it, the wind sounds stop. 
For example a storm going from west to east will be a silent if you are facing north or south. Debris impacts sound as they normally would, however.

Land removed by Dynamite will still have floating decorations such as plants/rocks/debris.

Dynamite, if placed/active and shift clicked, will continue to be armed in your backpack (tricky to remove safely).

While the pop and distance for various grounded decorations has been reduced and improved performance, it has also reduced the pop in distance of resources. 
This means that more often than not I will pass by a large deposit of something before I know it's even there.
Edited by missing1eyebrow

Unable to join my friends game. He can land and everything is fine but as soon as I join the session he crashes. His specs:

Intel i7 5820K

Nvidia 980Ti x2 (SLI)

32GB RAM

Windows 10 1511

We are able to play on the mainline branch but not this one. It did this 3 times in a row. I left him play, save, and then restart, and now it works. At least, until I can press the mouse button to select my character (so far)

Additionally I am getting big frame drops as I pan the camera. This happened on the previous build but it happens here too but it's a lot less. 

i7 6100

GTX 1060 3GB

Windows 10 1607

8GB RAM

On the previous build I edited one of unrealscript inis and disabled motion blur which seemed to fix the issue.

Edited by Mgamerz

I am seeing a LOT more of these strange 'seams' that show the caverns below than I have ever seen in the current build. I had that happen to me ONE time (screenshot posted in bug forum when it happened) but never since. Now after 10 min on Experimental I've seen them just about every few steps. 

Steam
Win 7
GTX 1070
32GB RAM

AstroSeam.jpg

I repeat one of the OP's points:

We need your help testing bugs NOT from the main branch: I.E.: Report issues only relevant to the below update notes. Do not post bugs of things already happening in the main build!

It happens that some people do report some very common bugs that exist in the main branch as well (posts with such common bugs will be deleted in this thread for certain). Feedback is appreciated, but please do play the main branch and compare which issues are actually new. Main branch issues go there: 

https://forum.systemera.net/forum/2-bug-reports-crashes/

This also is no thread to ask questions, discuss or anything alike. Only report bugs related to this version while providing as much information as possible.

Edited by Wyvyrias

First module built was a Printer - once built - the connecting umbilical disappeared. 

Steam
Win 7
GTX 1070
32GB RAM

AstroPrinter.jpg