Secret Squirrel

Hostile Lifeforms over time based on player 'footprint' on Planet

Understanding that this game is unique and that the core concept is to survive against the environment. I have been thinking about how one could increase the threat level of survivability without adding 'combat' per se. In that let me explain.

Concept: You land on a planet, once you have landed a 'Area of effect' meter is established. This meter expands when you expand your base (or area of effect/footprint on the planet). Once your bases AOE hits a certain threshold the local life starts to become more aggressive. This could range from the spawn rate/location of spawn increasing over time and closer to your base to new types of lifeforms spawning over time that do different things. Perhaps a deadly fungus/mold that spreads across the surface, making areas impassible or something. (many non-combat ideas exist)

The 'AOE' meter or 'footprint on the planet' would continue to expand as your base did, and the threat would continue to increase accordingly and in turn your response to the threat needs to increase.

Input: Looking for a good constructive conversation on this idea. And will edit/credit accordingly. 

Edited by Secret Squirrel

Could use some polishing imo but very nice idea, so it won't be like Minecraft were at a certain point zombies can't even damage you.

But yeah, not neccesiraly need mobs but increased meteor strikes, virusses eating the land and floods maybe?

15 minutes ago, mikeyk99 said:

Could use some polishing imo but very nice idea, so it won't be like Minecraft were at a certain point zombies can't even damage you.

But yeah, not neccesiraly need mobs but increased meteor strikes, virusses eating the land and floods maybe?

Technical writing is not my forte haha. But I'll polish it up a bit. 

Yeah that is exactly what I am thinking. No 'mobs' of zombies or creatures. But elements like you mention ranging from Natural Disasters to Disease that can inflict damage/cause trouble to the player, base or environment itself. (thinking WAY forward this could also apply to growing crops for food, and having crops go bad etc)

I really like this idea. Could use the plants that belch out green gas? Possibly have them spread like vines over time based on your area of effect? Something like the pollution system in Factorio? However then you would need to come up with a way to combat the growth. Some sort of 'anti green gas' type stuff that you have to research, akin to the powders in Terraria? (can't remember what they're called)

not a bad idea. maybe add a difficulty setting so you can pick and choose which nasty elements you want to contend with as you progress.  maybe a dedicated server feature for later. 

16 hours ago, Smiter1983 said:

I really like this idea. Could use the plants that belch out green gas? Possibly have them spread like vines over time based on your area of effect? Something like the pollution system in Factorio? However then you would need to come up with a way to combat the growth. Some sort of 'anti green gas' type stuff that you have to research, akin to the powders in Terraria? (can't remember what they're called)

This is just one example. But something like the 'red weed' out of War of the worlds comes to mind. This stuff would spread over time across the planet or near your base. And it is dangerous on contact. Perhaps a base module could be made that emits some type of 'barrier' effect that establishes a perimeter to prevent it from encroaching. 

latest?cb=20070123014443

17 hours ago, SaltySurprise said:

I like this idea, kind of like Factorio where they will attack you in strength based apon your "pollution rating"

Sounds like it could be interesting

You are the second person to mention Factorio. Going to have to look that one up. But essentially "Pollution rating" could translate to "player footprint on planet". It could be tiered based on the size of the base or output in production perhaps once they get that feature going. 

While you damage or deplete the planet you could also do the opposite like breeding animals and plants, make mountains or caves with the tool which would grant those plants or animals an adecuate environment where to grow

I don't think the makers of Astroneer really wanted to make an fps game. It's an exploration game, and they already do a good job of creating hazards that aren't intrusive.

On 12/16/2016 at 10:40 PM, Secret Squirrel said:

You are the second person to mention Factorio. Going to have to look that one up. But essentially "Pollution rating" could translate to "player footprint on planet". It could be tiered based on the size of the base or output in production perhaps once they get that feature going. 

If you like the idea of building infrastructure while surviving on an alien world then you would love Factorio. I highly recommend it. I've sunk waaaaaay too many hours into that game.

On 12/17/2016 at 0:08 AM, mai said:

I don't think the makers of Astroneer really wanted to make an fps game. It's an exploration game, and they already do a good job of creating hazards that aren't intrusive.

How is anything I mentioned similar to 'FPS', I do not think it is? I even take time to note that in my OP. Please read it again or provide insight it to what made you think that.  

IDEA REVISION: 

So after some thought and brainstorming I have come up with a revision to the orignal concept.

• Perhaps instead of the mechanic encompassing the base and planet. Maybe it can be Biome specific instead. Example: You go to X Biome and build a base, this Biome has more hostile lifeforms that in turn will escalate in aggressiveness the more you expand your base or 'footprint' within that Biome. 

What about the fact that the plant overgrown important elements for your development, as well as being Tiberias who may steal your things and break

I like the footprint idea and i was thinking about the whole hazard thing. So i was thinking if there where alien life forms that would be agressive towards you as you expand right. Then how about if you could scavange parts on the planet to research so you could build a AI robot that you could have with uou as a counter toward the creatures. This way it does not turn into a fps game but at the same time some form of action is in the game. And how do you guys feal about maby research and build an exosuit or a mech. That way you could have something to defend yourself with and at the sametime it does not ruin the 3rd person view. 

I would love to see this in a seperate gamemode for the game along side adding Friendly NPCs as well.

Edited by ProsciuttoKnight
Needed to get my point across

I'd be terrified just to get some resin. Terrified that some creepy ass alien is watching me, everything I do just gets him angrier and angrier. +1

I like this idea. But I'm also not against life forms. I mean you can have attacking life forms that try to ransack your base and/or destroy/steal stuff and you have to build defenses (assuming we would get defense stuff at some point). This could be done without actually giving the player any weapons. Just base defense.

Anything I can spend my mats on and feel compelled to do so. Sign me up.

Edited by Matthew Burt

One way for the fauna to make things harder without resorting on them attacking would be to have some of them mess with the base, maybe somo of the like shiny things and they steal or break your solar panels, or like yo eat your resources, maybe some could even make a nest in some of your modules rendering it unoperable or consuming it's energy, diferent fauna related problems would have diferent solucions, maybe nest could be moved to a harvester or breeder module to get some resource, the thing that steal could be distracted with some kind of toy or sacred off with the buggie.