Gaming Seaweed

INTERIOR BASE BUILDING

Ive seen a picture floating around the net and in the background there was a kinda base design which looked like you could walk inside i thought this would be a great addition to the game where you need an Airlock to get into your base and you can build things like bio domes and storage rooms and also it would serve some kind of protection against the sandstorms and things

Even if our view was third person but sort of xray such as the top lifting off or something

Maybe even have a smooth transition where the airlock is more of a building we build then expand from but you have to manually cycle it and stuff

26 minutes ago, Orange said:

Even if our view was third person but sort of xray such as the top lifting off or something

Maybe even have a smooth transition where the airlock is more of a building we build then expand from but you have to manually cycle it and stuff

yeah i didnt think of the third person stuff but your idea with the airlock was almost spot on to what i was imagining

Agreed-- as the game develops, having some sort of expandable geodesic dome modules would be a lot of fun! :D

1 hour ago, Torgado said:

Agreed-- as the game develops, having some sort of expandable geodesic dome modules would be a lot of fun! :D

Especially if they had space versions, I hope there is a peer to peer kind of system discovery, and social hubs sort of where people can trade and such

problem is, in space, free flight, how would we do modules like this?

You could do a seamless option to switch view modes for different types of playstyles, third person could have the X-ray overlay if the player so chooses to use it that way whilst a first-person option would allow you to get close and view the NPC pve interactions first-hand and also allow for a more intense experience when building the interior of bases, space stations, cities, etc.

you could maybe have a system that creates "dungeons" so when pressing "tab" you will enter into a quite open room.

but it takes much more time, little use for and can have issues and much more work then needed.

Some lighter basebuilding would be fine.

Think this feature is critical for long-term replayability of the game, as this gives you a reason to keep gathering resources after you've unlocked all the base components.

The lego-like way that base components snap together in Astroneer is ideal for creative building. It would be great to see some simple building components that snap together like cubes, slopes, domes, tubes, etc - and to be able to build both pressurised and unpressurised structures.

37 minutes ago, MojoBeast said:

Think this feature is critical for long-term replayability of the game, as this gives you a reason to keep gathering resources after you've unlocked all the base components.

Emmm...

no, its not critical for a long-term replayability (well some but that could be added in a "lighter" way)

1st the game is about exploring and that should keep you in the long terms (but not being tedious hide and seek with a needle in the haystack)

2nd You might not use it that much, it could be quite the hard hit on performance really with the moving planets and in MP.

suggestion would be that it should be something you would like to get back to the "main base" or planet.

Less "focus" on that from the start and would progress more, the further you go, bit by bit.

some custimazition would yes indeed keep players to decorate your base or your surroundings.

but how much and how much detail?

prebuild bases/assets that you can add on or rooms that you could add things into?

with making internal rooms hidden and only render for those in it can help.

but thats time consuming to make and to look good or work well.

More so in MP, but many players doing this might not be that hard if its only need the pos inside that empty room and only renders when you are in it?

But what if someone creates many of these things?

on a server that might get filled with such trash that will never be used for anything?

Thanks for replying guys you have given me insight into things i didn't think of one example being how would we see because of third person, one way to fix this would to be either give us first person or make the roofs of the structure lift away and fade into nothing for a nice seamless transition. another question was how would it be build and my answer to that is maybe something along the lines of the subnautica building system where you have a tube and then a kind of bio dome. my reasoning behind adding this into the game is mainly to provide an environment that is pressurized (or maybe depressurized) and provides safety from the sand storms and also would be a necessity on the *Spoilers SPOILERS, Red planet where there is always a sandstorm of deadly spiked balls. another thought would be that you might have to create an oxygen generator for the base that uses power to create oxygen and the airlock would use like one or two bars of power to cycle through from pressurized to de-pressurized and vice versa. if there are any question please quote the comment and leave them and i will try to think of an answer.