Ghostwolf93

Ideas for New Planets, Moons, etc.

So, some people have been suggesting that once you have built a Spacestation, you should be able to build a larger, interstellar spacecraft that can be used to reach nearby solar systems. I'm for this idea, as it would open up the option for the developers to add new content in the form of new solar systems, with new and different planets. In light of this, I'd like to open this thread up to anyone who has any ideas for new planets, moons, and any other destinations they have thought of. I have a half dozen suggestions below, to kick things off:

Magma

This planet would look similar to Arid from space, being predominately a dark red in color. However, upon reaching the surface players would discover that the planet is littered with pools, rivers and lakes made of lava. The lava would obviously be a hazard that players would have to navigate past, or form bridges over using the Terrain Tool. The landscape would vary from wide open terrain to mountainous. The planet would have a very long day/night cycle, say 40 minutes or more. The primary source of power would be from geothermal vents that could be built upon. As a secondary source of power, the planet could have medium to large deposits of Coal on the surface, including Coal nodes that regenerate over time.

Forrest

This planet would be covered in large amounts of planet life, and would be unique in that it has a breathable atmosphere, meaning that Astroneers visiting this world would not need to be concerned with building tethers to keep oxygenated. The planet's day/night cycle would be be about 8 minutes. There could also be an abundance of animal life, both predatory and passive. Solar power and small generators would provide most of the power on this world, as there would be very little wind. The planet would have two moons, both of which would be reminiscent of Barren, though a little smaller and with differing day/night cycles.

Ocean

This world would be covered mostly by water, the land above the waterline forming small, medium and large islands dotted around. Strong winds would allow for Wind Turbines to generate a lot of power, supplemented by Solar Panels. The day/night cycle would be similar to that of Tundra, about 20 minutes, or possibly a little less. To cross from one island to the others, a new kind of vehicle would have to have been researched. I'm thinking a Hovercraft, not an anti-gravity one but like the sort that exists today, that float upon a cushion of air. This would allow them to be built at a Vehicle Bay, then driven out onto the waters. There could be extenisve plant life that grows up out of the water, with artefacts attached to them. To get them, a new attachment for the Crane could be a Grabber that takes hold of the artefact and pulls it off, before being placed on the vehicle. The chance for a lot of aquatic life would exist here. Ocean would have five moons, two of which would be much larger than the others. All five would rotate at different speeds, giving slightly different day/night cycles, ranging from 3 minutes like Barren, to 10 minutes like Terran.

Sunburnt

This planet's rotation would be locked, meaning that one side would be permanently facing the star it orbits, whilst the other side would be forever in shadow. The 'Day Side' would be mostly yellow and very barren of anything organic, with a few mountains here and there. Scorpion like animals could be found mostly in caves and sometimes out on the surface. Players also would have to watch out for areas where the texture of the ground is different, as there are patches of quicksand here and there. The 'Night Side' by contrast would be much like Tundra is all over, covered in ice and rocks. The Night Side would have almost permanent wind in most places, allowing for a reliable source of power, backed up by a battery or two. There would be Artefacts unique to each side of the planet, encouraging the player to build at least two bases (one on each side) to cover them both. A thin strip of land would divide the two sides, forming a ring around the world where day meets night. In this 'Twilight Region' the temperature would be more balanced, allowing for a large amount of plantlife, a stark contrast to either side. Sunburnt would have one moon, which would have a day/night cycle of about 7 minutes. It would mostly be covered in shades of brown, with a few places where it turns dark red.

Broken

This world's normally spherical shape would be broken by a massive chunk missing that would account for about a fifth of the planet. This would be the result of a collision with another planetary body, maybe a former moon it use to have, or a large enough comet or Astroid. The surface would be primarily brown and yellow, with frequent dust storms covering it. Organic life would cover a fair amount, about the same as on Terran. The large region where the land is missing would be a sharpe contrast to the rest of the planet. The ground would go from brown to dark brown, then to grey and finally to black in the centre.there would be no wind inside this region, though an abundance of Coal and solar power would make up for that. The day/night cycle would be about 18 to 20 minutes, so when building or driving into the 'Crater' you would need either a large supply of Coal or a Solar Panel and quite a few Batteries.

Alien

This would be truly a very different feeling world from all the others. The atmosphere would be a light green, and the surface a dark blue by contrast. There would also be a few bodies of water, which would have a green tint to it. The developers could go to town inventing all manner of weird and intertesting plant life, but the surface would also be covered in ruins hinting at an alien civilisation, hiding a variety of alien-themed Artefacts. A few crashed alien spaceships could hold additional 'loot'. When the night cycle approaches, all the plant life starts to glow, giving off almost enough light to see as well during the day. The day/night cycle would be around 12 minutes. 

Oh I thought of some of this more as a biome, maybe terran can have forest biome, exotic has alien biome.

Sunburnt sounds cool kinda reminded me of mercury, though it is impossible for a planet to have one side permanently facing toward the sun.

Oh and shattered/broken planet, now that would be an amazing challenge

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

impossible for a planet to have one side permanently facing toward the sun.

Not sure why. Earth's moon has one side permanently facing Earth, whilst the other side is in permanent darkness. Hence the term 'Dark side of the moon'. If there is a scientific reason this can't happen to a planet though, I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

shattered/broken planet, now that would be an amazing challenge

Thank you.

G6nWPzu.png

I know new planets are being worked on (this image was from a single frame from one of the gifs on the astroneer twitter) and considering they have plans to work on lore, the alien planet will likely come first.

On 2/8/2017 at 2:34 PM, Lithium said:

Oh I thought of some of this more as a biome, maybe terran can have forest biome, exotic has alien biome.

Sunburnt sounds cool kinda reminded me of mercury, though it is impossible for a planet to have one side permanently facing toward the sun.

Oh and shattered/broken planet, now that would be an amazing challenge

Planets can permanently be stuck with one side facing the sun. The phenomenon is called being "tidally locked". This is why the moon has only one side facing earth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking

though the planets sounds great you might think of some of the basic science to the suggested planets , but for a longer in the road map type of thing its workable. Just need that " pocket time machine " to get there . Might not be in the near time frame9_9

Each of these planets sound like they'd be a lot of fun to explore - lots of different challenges. Some really creative ideas here.

For the ocean planet it would be neat if there was a submarine that could be built on which you could attach items like are used on the crane. Perhaps a drilling arm, a grabber arm, etc. Underwater caves, sea monsters to hide from.....

The forest planet could have a "tree-line" on tall mountains.

Your magma planet could also have volcanoes which spew ash and debris - that could be the only source for weather on that planet possibly.

If there are rivers on any planet then it would be neat if you could terraform channels in the ground so you could get around on a boat or something like that. 

Some other planet ideas:

Ringed:

A saturn-like world with a ring system. Some of the rocks in the rings might be new research or a perhaps a rare mineral can only be found there. The planet itself could be a gaseous one, like Saturn. It might also hide some interesting items or research in its murky depths, but which could be accessed only via high-pressure capsule of some kind?  It would have two moons: 1) A moon with a really thick atmosphere which has a crushing pressure (again - needing that high-pressure capsule) and will kill you after too much exposure. The atmosphere here could also be really murky (like how things look right before blocks start flying in a storm on Terra) to limit how far you could see. If there is no high-pressure capsule then perhaps you can only take very short trips down to scout for really rare materials and research [you descend, get out and run around like mad grabbing stuff then bolt back and blast off before you die]. 2) One that is big but orbits pretty close to the planet. The surface would be really icy and slippery (hard to get around on without some specialized equipment) but mostly smooth. Periodically, when passing close to "Ringed" the gravitational forces would crack the crust in places causing geysers of water and ice to spray up from the ground (kind of like Enceladus). The geyser spray (and anything falling back down from it) could possibly kill you. 

Double:

This would be two planets orbiting each other. Similar in size. One barren. One terra-like. They would be, relative to each other, in an eccentric orbit (circular around the sun). They would periodically pass really close to each other and create crazy gravity effects. If you're on the side where the other planet is passing then you lose most gravity (because the other planet is pulling so strongly), but if you're on the other side then gravity gets a lot stronger during the close passes. They would also create eclipses for each other. 

Pummeled:

This planet would be periodically bombarded by meteors, rather than having dust storms, but which, like storms on terra, would be dangerous to be out in. It would be pockmarked from impacts which would make travel circuitous. 

Edited by SeaTurtl

23 hours ago, SeaTurtl said:

Double:

This would be two planets orbiting each other. Similar in size. One barren. One terra-like. They would be, relative to each other, in an eccentric orbit (circular around the sun). They would periodically pass really close to each other and create crazy gravity effects. If you're on the side where the other planet is passing then you lose most gravity (because the other planet is pulling so strongly), but if you're on the other side then gravity gets a lot stronger during the close passes. They would also create eclipses for each other. 

Pummeled:

This planet would be periodically bombarded by meteors, rather than having dust storms, but which, like storms on terra, would be dangerous to be out in. It would be pockmarked from impacts which would make travel circuitous. 

I like the sound of both of these. Hadn't thought of a planet (or planets, I should say) where gravity changes every so often. The Double planets could be given interconnected names, like Ying and Yang, or something like that. Pummeled sounds like fun. Like the idea of different weather-related hazards.

On 2/8/2017 at 7:34 AM, Ghostwolf93 said:

This world would be covered mostly by water, the land above the waterline forming small, medium and large islands dotted around. Strong winds would allow for Wind Turbines to generate a lot of power, supplemented by Solar Panels. The day/night cycle would be similar to that of Tundra, about 20 minutes, or possibly a little less. To cross from one island to the others, a new kind of vehicle would have to have been researched. I'm thinking a Hovercraft, not an anti-gravity one but like the sort that exists today, that float upon a cushion of air. This would allow them to be built at a Vehicle Bay, then driven out onto the waters. There could be extenisve plant life that grows up out of the water, with artefacts attached to them. To get them, a new attachment for the Crane could be a Grabber that takes hold of the artefact and pulls it off, before being placed on the vehicle. The chance for a lot of aquatic life would exist here. Ocean would have five moons, two of which would be much larger than the others. All five would rotate at different speeds, giving slightly different day/night cycles, ranging from 3 minutes like Barren, to 10 minutes like Terran.

are you saying we should imitate subnautica?

14 hours ago, Endermankid563 said:

are you saying we should imitate subnautica?

Have just had to look that up. Never heard of it before. It's a first person shooter, right? Looks like it takes place underwater though, which is not what I envisioned, unless you are suggesting that the Astroneer's spacesuit doubles as a diving suit. What I was envisioning was that you would have to travel from island to island, looking for a large enough island to build your(surface) base on. Then you could dig down from the island down past the ocean to any underground caves Ocean would have.

19 minutes ago, Endermankid563 said:

not a first person shooter, but it is a sandbox game with a deep backstory

Sorry, let me be more specific. I meant it's played from a first person perspective, right? All the pictures I've found so far appear to be from a first person perspective. Although, some of the pictures show the player's character holding something that 'resembles' a gun. I'm guessing it's some kind of gun-shaped tool though, as you stated it wasn't a shooter.

Hmmm. You've now got me interested in this game. I'm currently away from home (and therefore my Xbox) for a few days. Is there a trail version you can try out before buying the actual game? Like what they did with Astroneer?

And yes, I got the 'deep' gag.

5 hours ago, Ghostwolf93 said:

orry, let me be more specific. I meant it's played from a first person perspective, right? All the pictures I've found so far appear to be from a first person perspective. Although, some of the pictures show the player's character holding something that 'resembles' a gun. I'm guessing it's some kind of gun-shaped tool though, as you stated it wasn't a shooter.

Hmmm. You've now got me interested in this game. I'm currently away from home (and therefore my Xbox) for a few days. Is there a trail version you can try out before buying the actual game? Like what they did with Astroneer?

And yes, I got the 'deep' gag.

yes, it is first person. and it is and open pre alpha currently for steam and xbox one

7 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Friendly reminder: The topic here is Astroneer, not Subnautica. :P

Understood. Will stay on-subject from now on. ?