Dedicated Private Servers

szalkerous

It would be very convenient to have the ability to run an Astroneer universe on a dedicated server so one player doesn't need to have their personal PC on/running Astroneer to host the game for everyone else.

I don't think a dedicated server would work that well for a 4 player game, i think having something like all 4 clients sending information to each other would work better. Doubt that'd be efficient though..
All 4 players should always have access to the world though, anything other than that feels extremely wrong.

• 2 months later...

One of the keys to Minecraft's success has been the ready availability of a private server build for people to use from the early days.

1. The world is persistent while the server runs so players can come and go freely.

2. The server can be dedicated to world maintenance, offloading this demanding task from the clients who then can focus on rendering and UI.

3. The server can be on the highest bandwidth connection among the group so all players get optimum throughput.

4. The population allowed on the server can be controlled to maintain performance and avoid griefing headaches.

Given the scope of Astroneer, a separate server that can run on Windows or linux (+ Mac?) is a must.

I'm just a player just like everyone else but have you priced a dedicated server recently? I have not taken the time to do this but I am sure that they would take a lot more than what the dev team could put to the budget. Not to mention I think that they would need some one to maint it and a place to store it.  This is still a very small team and are working through the start of the process of getting their offices ,personel  and regulation requirements in order.  Lets give them a few months to get the things they need sorted before we expect them to get a server base up and running B|. While servers will be one of the things they get according to their road map its still very early in the company life.

5 hours ago, malnaur said:

One of the keys to Minecraft's success has been the ready availability of a private server build for people to use from the early days.

1. The world is persistent while the server runs so players can come and go freely.

2. The server can be dedicated to world maintenance, offloading this demanding task from the clients who then can focus on rendering and UI.

3. The server can be on the highest bandwidth connection among the group so all players get optimum throughput.

4. The population allowed on the server can be controlled to maintain performance and avoid griefing headaches.

Given the scope of Astroneer, a separate server that can run on Windows or linux (+ Mac?) is a must.

Agreed, although as @Northstarranger said, this is a very small dev team we are talking about. Also, the game is still in pre-alpha version, so we have to wait a little....

I don't understand that comment. A separate server is a critical architectural decision that must be made as early as possible. The size of the dev team is not relevant and waiting would be the wrong thing to do with my suggestion since changing later will never happen if they aren't already going that way. This is a suggestion forum. I made one that I think is important. This is not a FOSS project staffed with volunteers. They are taking people's money and selling them a game. I certainly understand the risks I took buying it in pre-alpha. I don't want it to become yet another game that never gets out of pre-alpha because of all the usual excuses. The dev team should be eagerly looking for just this kind of input. I would be very happy for them to become Mojang-rich.

A longer version since the edit 'clock' expired for the first version (which is weird):

I don't understand that comment. Northstarranger didn't understand my comment either. This isn't an MMO game but is certainly a small group social game. I don't care if they ever host a server farm at System Era. What I want is a standalone server executable *I* can run on *my* server box and anyone else can run on whatever spare machine they happen to have in the closet. Because the server isn't worried about graphics power, it's ideal for an older box.  If the SE team architects the game to run client-server, they can do whatever they want in the future, including their own hosted servers. A multiplayer game that doesn't allow a separate server for all the clients to talk to will always be crippled and limited in popularity. The lessons from Minecraft are crystal clear. A separate server is a critical architectural decision that must be made as early as possible. The size of the dev team is not relevant and waiting would be the wrong thing to do with my suggestion since changing later will never happen if they aren't already going that way. The multiplayer aspects of the game are already showing signs of not being well thought through. This game has features that will make chunk-based storage a huge problem (like tethers) and that will directly impact lag between players. This is a suggestion forum. I made one that I think is important.

This is not a FOSS project staffed with volunteers. They are taking people's money and selling them a game. I certainly understand the risks I took buying it in pre-alpha. I don't want it to become yet another game that never gets out of pre-alpha because of all the usual excuses. The dev team should be eagerly looking for just this kind of input. I would be very happy for them to become Mojang-rich. So would they.

Lots of big sites like Curse are open to offshore server hosting, maybe they could make a deal with astroneer.

my basic statement is not ment to say that servers are not needed but that on average most games ( and I belive even minecraft ) did not start out in the fist few months with a bank of servers to do everthing we want the game to do. . the fact of the mater is the basic thought of the pre - alpha aspect of the game  its like putting togather a house .

1) decide if you want a house   --- Ie pitch a thought out to friends that the ideal could be a game

2)look for a place to put the house--- ie  put the basic ideal out to the friends an get their thoughts on it and decide what the game will do

3)decide that is the area to build on and do the measurements to see if a house will fit there---- ie flesh out the basics of the game 

4) get the land -- ie put the basics out in a larger area to see if the ideal can draw the publics intrest ( game cons , press walkthroughs and such)

5) get the house plans out on paper -- ie try the game out on friends to see if they like the game

6)find an builder who will accept the house plans to build it  --- ie make a few fixes to the game to solve the glaring problems

7) work with the bank to secure the loan to build the house --- ie  put the game out to the pre alpha stage in public

8) make sure that all the nessary regs and applications  are secured to start work on the site to build the house --- ie work patches to clear up the problems seen in the game

9)secure the materials to build a house --- ie fix those problems that make the game work in a bad way

10 ) site prep for the house -- ie get the game into the alpha stage

yes there are many more steps to building the house and the game. And my example is a very crude and simplistic attempt to show in mho where both are I,.but it is in that area which might be point #9 .  We could say that this game or that game is or was advanced in their development of their games but we all signed up to help the game grow by offering our money and openions and possible bug fixes . I would love to be able to snap my fingers and say that it is a full set game able to support all platforms and very few things needed bug fixes but life does not give me that option. The op I put into my posts are as a gamer with the full knowledge of what I personally signed up for when I put in my money to buy the game. I do not pretend to set in judgement of any ones ideals . so if there is any one who has a problem with the ideals I put forth that is their problem not mine 

Yes WE DO NEED SERVERS , but lets all rein back and let the game evolve as it can it does not behove us to say that just because we gave money that they are supposed to get everything done to seconds after we send in our money. Things need time to get done like the example of the house. We don't know all the info in the devs baskets or the state of their bank accounts ( my self I would not give out that info to everyone if they asked and I hope you would not either)

As for the size of a dev team if you and 6 friends wee to start a company  with the general knowledge of what a company needs then you might have a few things that need you to wear a couple of hats to get the company up and running. So yes the number of people in a company does matter in how the game developes.

Once you've built the house, it's too late to realize you need a basement. A separable server is a profound ARCHITECTURAL decision. It affects everything else you do with respect to world maintenance and multiplayer communications. You must make that decision as early as possible. Please stop talking about "banks of servers". That has nothing to do with what I am writing about.

3 hours ago, malnaur said:

Once you've built the house, it's too late to realize you need a basement. A separable server is a profound ARCHITECTURAL decision. It affects everything else you do with respect to world maintenance and multiplayer communications. You must make that decision as early as possible. Please stop talking about "banks of servers". That has nothing to do with what I am writing about.

Malnur pretty much nailed it. Well said. I also hope that they implement the server feature as soon as possible.

Looking at the blog posts, the dev team admit they have no networking experience. Even more important that they get some or multiplayer will never work right. That should be their next hire.