Sign in to follow this  
Dex4

Drill is super fun but useless

Excavating a huge cave with the drill feels great, but compared to the terraforming tool connected to a power supply it doesnt do a good job. The terraforming tool is almost twice as fast and makes a larger hole. I suggest buffing the drill to make using it to dig out a place for an underground base or a tunnel between caves more viable. Right now its fun but a waste of time. Buff the digging speed and the size of the hole it makes. 

1 hour ago, Dex4 said:

Excavating a huge cave with the drill feels great, but compared to the terraforming tool connected to a power supply it doesnt do a good job. The terraforming tool is almost twice as fast and makes a larger hole. I suggest buffing the drill to make using it to dig out a place for an underground base or a tunnel between caves more viable. Right now its fun but a waste of time. Buff the digging speed and the size of the hole it makes. 

If you attach a crane and then the drill, you can drill very efficiently.

It is mainly required to be used where your standard tool cannot, like Lithium and Titanium nodes that require the drill to be gathered.

6 hours ago, Ragingdonut said:

If you attach a crane and then the drill, you can drill very efficiently.

Thats is what i am using already.

2 hours ago, Serlo said:

It is mainly required to be used where your standard tool cannot, like Lithium and Titanium nodes that require the drill to be gathered.

Oh i did not discover any of those nodes yet, are they really deep down? Then again you have to get your cluster-f**k-truck down there somehow.

11 minutes ago, Dex4 said:

Oh i did not discover any of those nodes yet, are they really deep down? Then again you have to get your cluster-f**k-truck down there somehow.

What do you mean by "the terraforming tool connected to a power supply"? Is the terraforming tool the one we always have? How does one connect it to a power supply?

Just now, DumpsterAim said:

What do you mean by "the terraforming tool connected to a power supply"? Is the terraforming tool the one we always have? How does one connect it to a power supply?

if you stand next to a tether line which is connected to your base with stored energy, then the energy is supplied to you from your base. Same with a nearby vehicle.

Just now, Dex4 said:

if you stand next to a tether line which is connected to your base with stored energy, then the energy is supplied to you from your base. Same with a nearby vehicle.

I see okay I've done this before. I still need to figure out how people build these massive bases and have constant energy. 

there seem to be two kinds of base nodes regarding energy transmission. There is your habitat and the nodes which you can extend from it before you convert them into a production node. Both of those nodes transer energy to each other, so you can have an energy network containing all kinds of generators and batteries. Then there are the production nodes which are energy consumers. Those do not transfer contained/produced energy to nearby connected nodes, see them as dead ends. So you basically need to layout your energy network properly before adding too many production nodes, stopping you from expanding/distributing energy. Also note that to make a tether line supply you with energy, it has to be connected to your energy network, not the consumer nodes.

The best thing about the drill is that it automatically allocate any resource to your vehicle storage. You can collect as much as 18 piles of resources without accessing your inventory.

4 hours ago, Serlo said:

"Lithium and Titanium Nodes"? Do you have a screen shot of what these look like? I may have seen these and just derped on by them.

Thanks!

The drill is extremely useful, but it is also not balanced, the amount of resource it gathers is tiny compared to the deformer.

It also just dumps stuff around you, would be good if it transferred resource to trailer storage.   Mostly it dumps little bits of resource, because it can only hold upto 2 kinds at a time, so if it gets titanium, compound, energy in the same hit you get little nuggets of 2-3 energy on the ground which cannot be used.

I guess the little nuggets are a bug that should be reported, maybe the inefficiency is also a bug.  But for the time being neither really matter, they are ingame, they work, balance can be done later. 

There is also a small bug with the camera I'm not really sure if it would be better to manually arrange the camera location or if it should be attached to the crane head/drill and let you see where it digs, but sometimes you can't see the resource because you can't move the camera to the position you need to drill.

Edited by Martin

I find using the drill head and crane are pointless as well. I can gather more resources easier with the hand deformer and place them onto a vehicle myself in less time. If the drill & crane were automated and the vehicle storage capacity was far larger, then it would be worth the time. 

10 hours ago, Dex4 said:

Titanium & Lithium are as common as compound on planets other than the starting one.

16 hours ago, Dex4 said:

They are on the surface too but on some of the more hostile environment planets.

Been using the crane and drill quite extensively today.  It is actually quite good fun.  For making holes at least.  Could do with a light attached to the drill bit, so you can see what you're drilling with, esp in tunnels underground.

Balance wise.. well, it doesn't use power, so no downtime, it outputs directly to the large storage, which is 8 slots, plus 2 more on the crane. 

Would be nice if they fixed small storage on the large storage truck bug.   Would allow more automation, but for now it's easy enough to just manually move stuff.  My biggest pet hate at the moment is loosing stuff i'm mining to it falling under the ground, using the deformer.  Have to keep making a small hole for stuff to drop into.

Would also be useful to be able to grab stuff whilst in the crane cab, like you can in the shuttle or spaceship, this also for rovers and truck cabs.

Edited by Martin