Apophys

Launching game also launches SteamVR/Oculus Home

Not much detail to give here, when I launch the game, each and every time SteamVR starts as well, and consequently so does Oculus home. I have a Rift which I use with SteamVR. I'm not sure if this has any impact on gameplay, but it's quite annoying to have to close those every time I start the game. If it does have an impact on the game, I suspect it would be because the graphics driver is not only trying to start up the game, but also figure out how to send display information to my Rift while Astroneer is booting up.

Update:

Just confirming that I did that post patch, and restarted steam as the patch notes indicate to do to receive the update and still experience this behavior.

Despite the last patch, Astroneer always launches Steam VR, the Oculus Storefront, and sends all sound to the built-in Rift headphones. I cannot play the game correctly - if I want sound I must be blinded and if I want vision, I must forgo sound. This is untenable.

More than this, this should not be happening at all. No other game in my vast Steam library has ever shown this problem, it is unique to Astroneer. It is difficult to imagine that such a bug could happen unless Astroneer was directly making a call to Steam VR's SDK, or to Oculus, or to both. This should be an easily fixable bug on the grounds that since it has been made clear that VR is not intended, Astroneer should not have code that calls the VR library at all.

Please fix this! VR is selling well, more and more people will have a VR set as the months progress, and thus this will be a problem that only increases with time. Fix it now. Scour your code for any calls to Steam VR or Oculus and weed them out early and permanently... unless you intend to go full VR, in which case, do so.

Right now, I cannot play the game I paid for, and this is very frustrating indeed.

I have even tried such measures as deleting the VR folder from Astroneer's install (why does it even have a VR folder?) and unplugging all of my headsets (I have both the Rift and the Vive).  Nothing works. Not rebooting, not restarting, not unplugging, not anything.

But this is reasonable, because the flaw is obviously and only within the code of Astroneer. It can be nowhere else. Please, please fix this promptly! This literally should not even be happening at all.

Note first that I am not one of the developers of this game ... but I had a similar problem with an game I was developing. 

That is, I included the libraries for VR in my build thinking that I could have an option to play STD or VR at startup.  However, because the VR libraries where in the build when I ran the game on any VR capable system the VR would take over automatically.  Once I removed the VR libraries from my build then the game performed as expected. 

Point is if you are planing to market STD and VR versions you probably needed to create separate builds ... one with VR and another without.

BTW ... GREAT GAME SO FAR !!! ;)

This issue has been in every version I've tried since launch, even after restarting the whole computer. HOWEVER, at least for me it seems to be fixed as of Version 0.2.103.0.