You know, just trains. Who doesn't like a good old train? Perhaps you found this sweet location to mine compound, yet it's too far away to get efficiently to with a rover or truck. The trains could connect different bases you have located around the planet, so instead of taking your space-shuttle around the planet to a base close by, why not take the train? Mono-rails, or perhaps underground rails in for instance a mine or cave. I'd enjoy the feature of making my own railroad-network very very much at least.

This would be awesome, especially with automation so you can have robot trains bring resources home

It's a given that trains are really cool. No argument there.

But I'm not sure that this is a feature that's needed. You can already spend a lot of time flattening out the terrain to effectively make roads that allow your trucks and rovers to have a much easier time traversing the terrain. Heck, if you're on Planet Exotic that's essential to going anywhere. Then, once you get this done, you can use the vehicles already in the game to travel a set path, AND ALSO go anywhere else. Building a train track means doing all that work for a vehicle that CAN'T go anywhere else. Seems like a step backward to me.

It's needed for sure ;)
Probably not a priority, but automation of mining/transportation could be really cool.
Bihlbo does have a point though. The terrain could be an issue...
not to mention the cost in resources to build the tracks, the train... But in multiplayer, man, that would be awesome \o/

Leaving a comment for trains!

The rover I feel is a bit too twitchy for my likings. And it's hard to get anywhere safe and reliable in a timely manner with it.
I'd love to connect my base to my mining operations with a train.

Maybe you could create tracks similarly to how you place the tethers. And instead of oxygen, it's a path for the train to take. And much longer range maybe?

So basically, it'd be like a hover train. With the rover base, but without the wheels.

1 hour ago, Bihlbo said:

It's a given that trains are really cool. No argument there.

But I'm not sure that this is a feature that's needed. You can already spend a lot of time flattening out the terrain to effectively make roads that allow your trucks and rovers to have a much easier time traversing the terrain. Heck, if you're on Planet Exotic that's essential to going anywhere. Then, once you get this done, you can use the vehicles already in the game to travel a set path, AND ALSO go anywhere else. Building a train track means doing all that work for a vehicle that CAN'T go anywhere else. Seems like a step backward to me.

Well, as i tried to mention above i'd like to see the inclusion of mono-rails, so flattening wouldn't have to be necessary. Therefore you'll save yourself some time with the horrendous "run out of energy, fuck up the flattening"-part.

14 minutes ago, Norway174 said:

Leaving a comment for trains!

The rover I feel is a bit too twitchy for my likings. And it's hard to get anywhere safe and reliable in a timely manner with it.
I'd love to connect my base to my mining operations with a train.

Maybe you could create tracks similarly to how you place the tethers. And instead of oxygen, it's a path for the train to take. And much longer range maybe?

So basically, it'd be like a hover train. With the rover base, but without the wheels.

Exactly! Would love to see it more "modernized" like the trains in Borderlands 2. 

56 minutes ago, juliencollee said:

It's needed for sure ;)
Probably not a priority, but automation of mining/transportation could be really cool.
Bihlbo does have a point though. The terrain could be an issue...
not to mention the cost in resources to build the tracks, the train... But in multiplayer, man, that would be awesome \o/

Yes, i can see the ups and downs. Yet as i tried to mention above i'd like to see mono-rails being included, so flattening out ground would be excluded from the equation.

2 hours ago, Orange said:

This would be awesome, especially with automation so you can have robot trains bring resources home

Indeed it would be!

I had a similar thought. Having some monorail-like things would be really great, especially if you can set up new 'base' locations. This game already has a feel of building up pathways more and more as you travel them more often (lay down tethers > flatten terrain > make room for buggies), and I feel like this would be the next logical step.

1 minute ago, Thaewyn said:

I had a similar thought. Having some monorail-like things would be really great, especially if you can set up new 'base' locations. This game already has a feel of building up pathways more and more as you travel them more often (lay down tethers > flatten terrain > make room for buggies), and I feel like this would be the next logical step.

I completely agree, there is definitely room for more automation and customization when it comes to pathways.

I'm totally into this idea ... given the game already auto-fills in the tethers, and assuming the tether tech is eventually bug fixed, you may not even need to do full pathing ... set up train station A, set up train station B, if there's a clear path between them under <x> distance game generates a rail tube/monorail/train-O-matic-laser-grid.

I would say yes to trains on two conditions:

1 - each segment of track is 1 titanium, and cover the same distance as a tether point

2- the tracks are laid out like tethers, and terraform the land like the 1 resin base expanders do.

This keeps trains expensive to track out, but not frustrating.

Not to be negative or anything, but trains are already a thing. You can get a truck attach rovers to the back to form a train, as seen in the Astroneers trailer.

Here is a picture of said train: 

Train.jpg

1 minute ago, CoolArrow42 said:

Not to be negative or anything, but trains are already a thing. You can get a truck attach rovers to the back to form a train, as seen in the Astroneers trailer.

Train.jpg

I'm fairly certain the reason we want these is because of how unreliable the current vehicles can be. Also trains can be automated, and these rover trailers can't be.

1 minute ago, mai said:

I'm fairly certain the reason we want these is because of how unreliable the current vehicles can be. Also trains can be automated, and these rover trailers can't be.

Why would we want an automated vehicle, other people on a different post are complaining saying that the automated fuel generator is "breaking the game" because players can generate tons of fuel and then trade it off. Image how pissed people would be when they add this.

I've made one of these "trains" out of 3 trucks, they work alright, but the cables are springy and the truck doesn't quite have enough power.

having a rail system would be better for transport, but a truck train is better for exploring new areas, where you wouldn't have rails.

5 hours ago, CoolArrow42 said:

Train.jpg

Well i was thinking of something more like a train. As in with a set path to do one specific thing, later on it could perhaps carry even passengers as the servers gain more capacity.

I like the idea, being able to have two bases really far apart, and rather than just going all the way to space to move over the surface you could just take a train which doesn't have to deal with ridiculous terrain jumping etc :D I approve, was thinking of having a similar modular system to rovers, you could set up a base on a train or a research/resource hauler :D Excited to see this or a mod in the future :D

14 hours ago, CoolArrow42 said:

Train.jpg

That's not a train, that's a truck. As I mentioned in my earlier post regarding a rail system, something like Elon Musk's Hyperloop or a monorail would be excellent for fast travel (not instantaneous) between bases and other places of interest. But, just like in real life, trains aren't very good when you need to travel where trains don't go. The same would apply to Astroneer. You're not going to build a rail system for every adventure you go on when leaving your home base. It would be great for really fast travel between bases and transporting goods between bases. It is faster than the truck but not as versatile. So both would make sense in the game.

14 hours ago, tenabrae said:

I'm totally into this idea ... given the game already auto-fills in the tethers, and assuming the tether tech is eventually bug fixed, you may not even need to do full pathing ... set up train station A, set up train station B, if there's a clear path between them under <x> distance game generates a rail tube/monorail/train-O-matic-laser-grid.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a building game :)  I'd rather have to construct the thing piece by piece myself.

2 minutes ago, spec24 said:

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a building game :)  I'd rather have to construct the thing piece by piece myself.

I vouch for that, i agree it would be strange getting such a feature suddenly in the game, when it hasn't been implemented anywhere else.

19 minutes ago, bambam625 said:

+1 to OP's idea

If you want to, you could press the almost invisible white square in the bottom left corner of the topic. Would give the post a +1, and more recognition.