GPS or Location system.

Teutatis

We can see our base from orbit, but if were still on the ground we rely on the beacons and base flags.

Is it possible to add a GPS system, compass or even a map.

It's hard to get lost if your using tethers, but if you go for a run...or long drive, it can end up with you getting lost or not seeing the beacons.

If the GPS or map are not do-able, how about a 'look to base' key binding. Press'x' and it will spin your view until your facing home.

This would also make it easier for co-op play to find each other and co-ordinate (via a map or GPS...face base key would just get my 'special' friends lost even more lol)

Great idea. +1,

maybe they could add arrows on the player compass (visible around the player's feet  when you hover your mouse over him).

Right now if you mouse over your guy, it shows the cardinal directions but to me, right now this is quite useless if you don't know where your base is situated related to it.

maybe they could add an arrow pointing to your habitat, and an arrow in an other colour to show the locations of other players.

Oh god please yes I've been searching for my base for hours! I have a huge caravan so I cant just leave it behind

23 hours ago, chris45724 said:

it would be cool if; for the gps you had to launch a satellite

+1, was totally thinking the same thing. Could be built in the existing vehicle bay.

GPS is too OP I think. Just a map would be perhaps more in line with the lore of starting from scratch on an alien world.  

With a compass and a map you can find your way. You need to be able to make markings on it.

Compass would just spin on a small metal heavy planetoid I bet.

Compass works on earth, doesn't mean it will work on different types of planets or moons.

Getting lost in my rover is among the most memorable game play I've had so far...  the feeling when I finally found my base after trying to retrace my steps (and coming across clues like previously dug up ground) was satisfying.

Turning on the GPS makes travel just boring instead of an intense thrill with actual stakes if you get permanently lost.

A compass to beacons, base pods, and vehicles makes sense, not a "north" pointer. I would also like to chose to turn them on and off. Also the compass on the ground does have a north pointing but it means nothing without a point of reference (Earth "North" is the top of our globe / maps).

With how many resources it would take to get to the point of being able to launch enough satellites to be able to use a GPS system... I think it could work. 

Its no more unbelievable than building a spaceship on a dirt mound after crash-landing on a deserted island  

If you find yourself getting lost you can always drop a beacon right before you lose sight of your base's beacon over the horizon, then continue the process while keeping the previous beacon in sight. Like breadcrumbs leading the way home. 

True

Early game play to find your way could be beacons...  I haven't fully tested it yet, but I created a super tall column of dirt with a beacon on it.  I want to see if it is visible from the entire hemisphere.

Basic game play could be making smaller dirt mounds as you go like the Natives did.   make an arrow in the dirt using mounds.

I think navigation is a great challenge to have in a game like this.

On 12/18/2016 at 2:37 AM, Teutatis said:

We can see our base from orbit, but if were still on the ground we rely on the beacons and base flags.

Is it possible to add a GPS system, compass or even a map.

It's hard to get lost if your using tethers, but if you go for a run...or long drive, it can end up with you getting lost or not seeing the beacons.

If the GPS or map are not do-able, how about a 'look to base' key binding. Press'x' and it will spin your view until your facing home.

This would also make it easier for co-op play to find each other and co-ordinate (via a map or GPS...face base key would just get my 'special' friends lost even more lol)

I joined the forum specially to mention this but i see you already did! this is a very important feature and i would have it a priority in order for the game to succeed ... i got lost 4 times each time for several hours .. until i really got frustrated.

On 12/18/2016 at 6:28 PM, Zeus said:

True

Early game play to find your way could be beacons...  I haven't fully tested it yet, but I created a super tall column of dirt with a beacon on it.  I want to see if it is visible from the entire hemisphere.

Basic game play could be making smaller dirt mounds as you go like the Natives did.   make an arrow in the dirt using mounds.

I think navigation is a great challenge to have in a game like this.

This. It'd take a boatload of resources to launch an entire GPS network into orbit. It takes 3 satellites minimum in order to trilaterate your position, but in order to have complete and constant coverage, you need many, many more than just 3 satellites. It'd also take each satellite (probably 10 or 12 satellites, if not more) quite a lot of fuel to get into a proper orbit.

GPS wouldn't be OP. It'd be a very late-game mechanic. Of course, as I mentioned in another thread, it'd be useless unless and until there's an actual reason to go on super long-range expeditions.

Also, you're absolutely right about using landmarks. There's also the very real possibility of using celestial navigation in this game, so keep that in mind.

+1 i wrote this before: in another topic ;)

Further gameplay makes it really interessting not to have a minimap. So you have to work with teathers and beacons to move arround the globe. Please make no minimap from the beginning it would ruin the adventure feeling. In more much advanced tech. a Satellite that enables a map (for the actually planet) would be cool. (Map but no objectives). Another GPS Satellite (or upgrade for the Satellite)  for the Objects. (Base , Vehicle, other players.) but pls. no map for the wild objects... or ressources. Keep the difficult degree like it is or make it selectable. :)

The game would loose alot atmosphere if there would be a map from the beginning. A first tech in this direction could be a simple compass or the ability to give beacons a name for the point. And storms, Caves and Hills may disturb the Satellite connection. :D

Edited 5 hours ago by HamZta

Archived