Ashton187

Quick Base Building Tips!

When you start out and you spawn (Or place a habitat), try and extend the base from the North, South, East and West first. This will take 4 Resin.

Once you've done this expand them again in a straight line, another 4 Resin.

After you have expanded the 2nd time just design as you see fit. The reason for this is the first extension from the Habitat is the best place to put the bigger power generators (Solar, Wind, Coal, Normal Generator), this in turn allows you to feed all structures on the network.

Here is a very crude example - http://i.imgur.com/vp2ApQ8.png

Crafting structures act as a "END" peice, so power can't flow past them or from them, just to them. The habitat as far as i can tell acts as a central distrobution hub, so power can flow through it.

Also if you plan out your design after the first row of nodes have been placed, you can build crafting stations mid way down the line

Another crude drawing - http://i.imgur.com/X8fQAEc.png

Hope this helps!

This is a great tip but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. I'm on Xbox One so maybe there's a difference? The second expansion from the center habitat wants 2 resin and won't take just 1. If I give it 2, it automatically sets up as a platform. Not giving me options to grab it with RT either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

4 hours ago, KariedAway said:

This is a great tip but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. I'm on Xbox One so maybe there's a difference? The second expansion from the center habitat wants 2 resin and won't take just 1. If I give it 2, it automatically sets up as a platform. Not giving me options to grab it with RT either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hey KariedAway,

Here is a full base layout design for you (Image courtesy of /u/mr-octo_squid from reddit.) - https://i.imgur.com/ssK2CGW.png

The best way to do the layout is to just extend with the nodes first before placing anything down. It'll take you 28 Resin to fully lay it out and then 16 more to make the crafting stations so a total of 44 Resin for the full base setup.

You click on the extension node (the one that follows you around as you move/change camera view) not the two resin nodes on top.

One resin for extension node, two resin equals a building and therefore a dead end on your base.

Edited by Nafen
Another note: I think that power CAN go from one endpoint building to another endpoint building on your base, if you have power generation or batteries slotted into the building anywhere.

20 hours ago, Ashton187 said:

Hey KariedAway,

Here is a full base layout design for you (Image courtesy of /u/mr-octo_squid from reddit.) - https://i.imgur.com/ssK2CGW.png

The best way to do the layout is to just extend with the nodes first before placing anything down. It'll take you 28 Resin to fully lay it out and then 16 more to make the crafting stations so a total of 44 Resin for the full base setup.

I figured out what I was being stupid about. I have to have my backpack open in order to "grab" the module and extend with RS and RT. Its probably some Xbox specific kink that will be worked out in time. 

Ashton187, awesome diagram! Starting a new game just to try this out. Thanks!

10 hours ago, KariedAway said:

I figured out what I was being stupid about. I have to have my backpack open in order to "grab" the module and extend with RS and RT. Its probably some Xbox specific kink that will be worked out in time. 

Ashton187, awesome diagram! Starting a new game just to try this out. Thanks!

You can also hold the left trigger instead of opening your backpack to start the pointer. 

I wish I would of saw this tip before I started my base.  My base right now is one big giant cluster with separate solar panels on each part lol.  I am probably going to start my game over so I can use this! Thanks for the tip! 

I don't understand the need for a battery platform and a generator platform.

Why do you need both in line?

Won't you final station get enough power from just a battery or a generator 'platform'.  

6 minutes ago, SirGreenDay said:

Won't you final station get enough power from just a battery or a generator 'platform'.  

The batteries are there to be used during the night and the generators i use are solar ones, so during the day they power everything.

I've revised the design a lot and also made a new layout.

42 minutes ago, SirGreenDay said:

If you only have a generator platform, the power it creates/would create would be wasted once it filled your buildings slots (which passively most of the time they will get filled and stay full).

If you only have a battery platform, where is the power coming from? :P

I'm confused by your battery statement.

You ask where the power would come from if you only use a battery. 

Do batteries not supply power on their own in this game?

Do the generators have to constantly charge the batteries?

If not, what is their purpose? 

Thanks again. 

18 minutes ago, SirGreenDay said:

I'm confused by your battery statement.

You ask where the power would come from if you only use a battery. 

Do batteries not supply power on their own in this game?

Do the generators have to constantly charge the batteries?

If not, what is their purpose? 

Thanks again. 

Solar panels, will fill the batteries and your crafting stations during the day. However, at night they will not power them beyond the power already stored. Having battery stations will allow them to charge your crafting stations even at night. (or if it's not windy at that time).

A generator takes resources, while solar power just uses the sun. It's more efficient this way rather than always having to find resources. That's what I find anyhow.

Batteries don't create power, they store it. When you craft/build a battery you are creating an empty one.

You can alternatively make power cells which do give power to you or your base if you place them in a slot on your base, but they deplete and are consumed completely once empty.