Portable Research Station (PRS)

Hi,

I've been travelling to other planets a lot lately, purely to discover new research items.

Right now I either need to store them aboard my spaceship or build a base on the planet's surface and make a research station which costs a lot of resources.

I would love the idea of being able to take my research station with me and plant it down on another planet instead of having to grind to make a research station,

or having to fly back with it to my home planet and waste fuel.

This also applies for travelling across the planet's surface.

Sometimes you need to venture out far from your base in order to find some rare research items.

If you could take a research station with you then you don't have to return home every time.

Edited by Frenzygator

I think just planning ahead is suitable enough

if you're going to a new planet to get research, carry three resin two compost and a solar panel to your destination to create a research station with energy

You have a good point koondad but sometimes you want the ability to store other things on your ship instead of base building materials.

Especially if you are going to hop to different planets a lot.

Edited by Frenzygator

Indeed, they could make a uniform mechanic for all buildings to be portable since it would be nice to be able to rearrange the look of your base.

Maybe the crane we have now could get another head piece, one for picking up structures since they want to go for a uniform system where you can easily swap modules and customise everything.

Edited by Frenzygator

Isn't the point of base building to have a base? It may seem fun to just have one you can carry around, but the point of the game is that you can't carry everything on you at once.

That's true, but you will always struggle with having limited slots so you will have to choose which structure to take with you.

Unless you make a caravan of rovers and trucks.

lol. just put a big storage on the ship then on that 4 small storages put that full of resin power and compound fly back to the planet for recearch and build ... 

And btw . all the recearch items can on this moment be found in the first planet :P soo there is no need anyway

Part of the challenge for me is in transporting things. I think that's why there are 4 vehicles. I enjoy this challenge. Why would I want to spend the resources to make a truck with storage, if not to collect unknowns 4 at a time? Then, later in the game, unknowns are virtually trash because the only thing they get you is 1 resource.

A vehicle-mounted research station would mean the most interesting thing to transport doesn't need to be transported anymore, and I think that would be a negative change.

Remember every one that this is early access so while we might be able to find everything that you can research on the first planet now that doesn't mean we will be able to when the game comes out. I actually hope we can't and that we will need to leave the planet, or the solar system even, to go find new things to research. In that case having a ship big enough to take a few buildings with you would be nice to have. 

On 12/17/2016 at 6:07 PM, koondad said:

I think just planning ahead is suitable enough

if you're going to a new planet to get research, carry three resin two compost and a solar panel to your destination to create a research station with energy

Yuzzzz.

On 12/17/2016 at 6:31 PM, Frenzygator said:

Indeed, they could make a uniform mechanic for all buildings to be portable since it would be nice to be able to rearrange the look of your base.

Maybe the crane we have now could get another head piece, one for picking up structures since they want to go for a uniform system where you can easily swap modules and customise everything.

Definitely going for modularity here they're. Lol, but not so much portable as maluble with a crane tool I like. 

On 12/17/2016 at 7:37 PM, Bihlbo said:

Part of the challenge for me is in transporting things. I think that's why there are 4 vehicles. I enjoy this challenge. Why would I want to spend the resources to make a truck with storage, if not to collect unknowns 4 at a time? Then, later in the game, unknowns are virtually trash because the only thing they get you is 1 resource.

A vehicle-mounted research station would mean the most interesting thing to transport doesn't need to be transported anymore, and I think that would be a negative change.

Yop. Last research default out of random should be crane tip that cracks em

Later in game dev, tool becomes pretty cool, last thing

Edited by Aec118

Mother ship construction, researchable, printed in orbit after launching space station modules, doesn't land, interstellar tier, lmao!