Banshee

Allow the game to use more RAM?

Recommended Posts

I've noticed that the game uses about 3 Gigabytes of RAM and no more. Seeing how most PC players are going to be running a 64 bit system with at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM, I am positive that tweaking the game/engine to allow more than 3 GB of RAM would prove to be a HUGE performance increase on at least the PC platform. I myself have 32 GB of RAM and I would LOVE to see this game use more than a measly 3 GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the system demands more usage, how would it serve the people with less? 

Its a delicate balance that will need tuning and balance to figure out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Forgo said:

If the system demands more usage, how would it serve the people with less? 

Its a delicate balance that will need tuning and balance to figure out 

Well if you dont have 8gbs of ram i dont know if u should be gaming tbh... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ItsFaded said:

Well if you dont have 8gbs of ram i dont know if u should be gaming tbh... 

People shouldn't be discriminated based on their financial capabilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think later on, the game could use up more memory if the system has it, but for now, it's probably best to find a baseline of as low spec as it can go to allow the most users to have access the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if there is a reason to use more RAM. As they optimize the game, it should keep in RAM only the nearest and the most important "objects" (power grid). So, I guess it will use LESS RAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, time_trial said:

Maybe it's kept at 3Gb because the Xbox version has to stick to using that much?

bro u talking shit about my xbox one!!!!!!! Im kidding lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gp. said:

I'm not sure if there is a reason to use more RAM. As they optimize the game, it should keep in RAM only the nearest and the most important "objects" (power grid). So, I guess it will use LESS RAM.

Thats a good point but if necessary they should have a slider for ram then so people could use how ever much they need

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ItsFaded said:

Wow only 3 GB's honestly probably one of the reasons for frame drop problems 

3 GB is a lot of RAM. The issue here is about optimization and tweaking the game engine and processing.

I have reports about GPUs working only on 30% capacity, and processors having lower power being used than supposed necessary. We should remember that the game is pre-alpha, and that engine shall be tweaked. It is constructive commentary, but RAM is not the issue.

8 hours ago, Forgo said:

If the system demands more usage, how would it serve the people with less? 

Its a delicate balance that will need tuning and balance to figure out 

Please, follow @Forgo's logic.

Hence the game is closed-source there is no way we can tweak and suggest new implementations and such, so there's not much we can do, else report lag and crash issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ItsFaded said:

bro u talking shit about my xbox one!!!!!!! Im kidding lol

:D no way! Just thinking that to keep the game consistent across platforms, and more importantly to allow multiplayer across them, it might require the same or similar resources to be available.

I agree that we should just let the devs optimise the performance and not worry how they achieve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, time_trial said:

:D no way! Just thinking that to keep the game consistent across platforms, and more importantly to allow multiplayer across them, it might require the same or similar resources to be available.

I agree that we should just let the devs optimise the performance and not worry how they achieve it.

lol i know :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kano said:

3 GB is a lot of RAM. The issue here is about optimization and tweaking the game engine and processing.

I have reports about GPUs working only on 30% capacity, and processors having lower power being used than supposed necessary. We should remember that the game is pre-alpha, and that engine shall be tweaked. It is constructive commentary, but RAM is not the issue.

Please, follow @Forgo's logic.

Hence the game is closed-source there is no way we can tweak and suggest new implementations and such, so there's not much we can do, else report lag and crash issues.

That explains a alot then but i think thats what they should focus on the most as of now is the frame problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, time_trial said:

Maybe it's kept at 3Gb because the Xbox version has to stick to using that much?

Xbox has 8gb ram. It requires 3gb of that 8 for the OS. so there is more to use.

Most games have a minimum spec, but deploy dynamic limitations. What I mean is that if the system has 16gb, and the game has a minimum of 3gb to run, then it can scale and use more if needed.

That's all. Just if you have a better system, you get better results

Edited by killerbake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, killerbake said:

Xbox has 8gb ram. It requires 3gb of that 8 for the OS. so there is more to use.

Most games have a minimum spec, but deploy dynamic limitations. What I mean is that if the system has 16gb, and the game has a minimum of 3gb to run, then it can scale and use more if needed.

That's all. Just if you have a better system, you get better results

Fair point, but cross platform multiplayer might be affected if one PC player's system could dynamically scale beyond the capabilities of another player's one. Just second guessing reasons really.

Perhaps setting 5Gb as a global maximum would improve performance and not cause any such issues. From what @Kano wrote, that seems like it might be quite a large amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, time_trial said:

Fair point, but cross platform multiplayer might be affected if one PC player's system could dynamically scale beyond the capabilities of another player's one. Just second guessing reasons really.

Perhaps setting 5Gb as a global maximum would improve performance and not cause any such issues. From what @Kano wrote, that seems like it might be quite a large amount.

yeah but your only gonna see visual improvements its not like this is a fps shooter and a faster pc will matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, killerbake said:

Xbox has 8gb ram. It requires 3gb of that 8 for the OS. so there is more to use.

Most games have a minimum spec, but deploy dynamic limitations. What I mean is that if the system has 16gb, and the game has a minimum of 3gb to run, then it can scale and use more if needed.

That's all. Just if you have a better system, you get better results

I think what you're referring to the "auto-detect" system. Many games usually have those, where there is a maximum and minimum spec for the device using the PC. But you gotta also consider that there's a limit to the game scaling, whic is considered as the maximum spec. It's only linear (better pc = better results) until a certain point; then it stops scaling.

I don't have information about the Xbox build, but considered it would be Windows-based or something, there should be at least 1.5GB for the operational system to avoid bugs. You can't use 100% of it.

22 hours ago, ItsFaded said:

That explains a alot then but i think thats what they should focus on the most as of now is the frame problem

As I said, the software is under-using GPU and CPU processing capacities because of its own limitations, as far as I can tell.

 

17 hours ago, time_trial said:

Fair point, but cross platform multiplayer might be affected if one PC player's system could dynamically scale beyond the capabilities of another player's one. Just second guessing reasons really.

Perhaps setting 5Gb as a global maximum would improve performance and not cause any such issues. From what @Kano wrote, that seems like it might be quite a large amount.

This is one more reason for having a minimum and maximum spec. Within the range, hence the capabilities would dynamically scale between, let's say, 100 completely different computers/consoles, there must be guarantee to play as, let's say, 30FPS for everyone in this range. 

5GB is going Minecraft all over again. And Minecraft is just about bad programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017 at 8:10 AM, Kano said:

I don't have information about the Xbox build, but considered it would be Windows-based or something, there should be at least 1.5GB for the operational system to avoid bugs. You can't use 100% of it.

 

Its 3GB for xbox os. (that was posted before their windows 10 update) might be less now. I remember when xbox first launched it was actually like 3 different operating systems in one. lol But now that it's Win10 based it might be less, but as it stands I believe it is 3GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now