Hello All,

I've been working on a bunch of different things for Astroneer, so I thought I'd collect them here. I've been writing out suggestions, mechanics ideas, UI improvements, and other things as I go.

Here's the link to my doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yJF_Uhm2xAy7RIrzj0wCgvwYQKkfdPbdeCnI-mYOTcE/edit?usp=sharing

I keep adding to it every time I play.  I will post something different with my explanation of Progression, and how I've been playing (I've been calling it Hard Mode).

I like most of your ideas so far, but on a note I would like to suggest something in return for the story: Instead of being sent off course, it'd make a bit more sense that perhaps this is similar to a "Land Grab" style of event. Looking back at American history, The colonization and advancement of California and several other western states was helped to a "Land Grab" tactic, which is to say, marking a plot of land as your own, In exchange for ownership, you are required to maintain and "Colonize" the area as best as you can, be it though farming or mining.

I agree, Sean. I think there are some good options for an undercurrent of Manifest Destiny, or environmental protection, while still keeping the game fun and whimsical.

Lovely suggestion! I see that you made tons of effort in making this. I think you'll be interested in the suggestion I made before. Still working on the google doc version.

Edited by Lithium

So I've read your documents and I have quite a lot of comments to put in there

• I love that you separate clean energy from the unclean ones, Give risk for player who chose the easy method of power generation, I do belive that biomass generator such as the crafted generator could count as a Clean energy
  • Pegmatite is a Boron-Lithium mineral, I would suggest it as an unrefined form of lithium, Player would have use the smelter to obtain lithium
  • Ah yes, A mag-lev train, really great addition, especially the track mechanics that can be placed down like tether
  • Hydraulic press is a great addition to a refinery, giving player early access to diamonds as an Uber-Rare resource
  • A plow-like crane tool, instead of digging, they flatten and smoothen grounds, this is my favourite part of the suggestion.
  • I don't like to change the name terran and barren, since this is already a common method of differing planet types
  • The dev do have plan to add scrap metals in game since compound is pretty much the material paralel of Lorem Ipsum

"The terrain tool’s “Level” function should be changed to a Ramp, in which you can click once to begin a ramp, then again for the destination. The tool creates a ramp from one point to another, just barely wide enough for a Rover or Truck."

Best terrain tool suggestion I've seen so far.

Edited by Pieticle

That is a lot of suggestions, Like that must've been in a doc cause that would crass the Character limit several times over. But these are all amazing suggestions, and i would love to see some of these in game. like reactors, coal power making actual competition, A wall ( that doesn't look bad or is slanted ) to keep off flying death blocks, and vehicles being weighed down just a bit. and i think @SES_Adam would like to see this if they've not already!

I would like to upgrade your buildings and you can upgrade your backpack, i also want a thing that makes guns so you can have enemys you can attack and you have to defend you base with walls and turrets, and there must be a way to like defeat the game so if you have all the parts to go back to your 'home' planet

16 minutes ago, thijn_yolo said:

I would like to upgrade your buildings and you can upgrade your backpack, i also want a thing that makes guns so you can have enemys you can attack and you have to defend you base with walls and turrets, and there must be a way to like defeat the game so if you have all the parts to go back to your 'home' planet

no guns

39 minutes ago, thijn_yolo said:

You should play osiris, It's like astroneer but combat oriented

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:03 AM, thijn_yolo said:

I agree that I would like to see more building upgrades - and I think I saw things like this in early screenshots. 

I don't agree about the weaponry. If there is any kind of conflict, I'd like to see it very indirect ... like putting down Seeds around your base to grow Spikers for protection against roaming animals or something. I feel like this game is too cute and whimsical to start adding combat.

9 hours ago, Imelin Cane said:

I agree that I would like to see more building upgrades - and I think I saw things like this in early screenshots. 

I don't agree about the weaponry. If there is any kind of conflict, I'd like to see it very indirect ... like putting down Seeds around your base to grow Spikers for protection against roaming animals or something. I feel like this game is too cute and whimsical to start adding combat.

Agree but at the same time I feel like we need some competition between players in this game. After all, it is a gold rush set in the 25th century. If only this game could have winners and losers without losing its whimsical feel somehow...