Liquid Resource Mechanics

So it was already confirmed that bodies of water will eventually be added to the game. Something practical that would be a great addition is expanding upon the initial idea of bodies of water and extend that to include bodies of other liquids such as hydrazine or oil.

One would attach a pump instead of a drill onto the crane and siphon up the liquid into a large 2x2 liquid tank attached to your truck (or the liquid could just appear as an object similar to what hydrazine is now). This could be a great way to collect hydrazine or future chemicals in the future. Additionally you could also deposit the fuel/liquid into large silos or tanks at your base that will allow you to directly pipe fuel into a spaceship or dispense the fuel as an object.

You could also siphon up water to use for farming or to satisfy thirst (although I imagine you guys would add pipes that function the same as a tether but transport water). Or even incorporate liquids as a base resource which would function similar to power (fluid tanks would be the equivalent of batteries and would deliver said fluids to the modules requesting them).

Edited by Spencer4678

Quite a creative suggestion, Although once construction made flexible it would go as simple as building a pump within a body of water, then supplying it with battery and solar panels. The pump will start producing passive incomes of water and possibly "salt". then the water can be repurposed to water plants, crafting, and other useful functions.

I also had a suggestion for a Tier-2 module called the siphon that if placed on geysers, will produce a steady supply of it's provided resource (oxygen, power, resin).

7 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Quite a creative suggestion, Although once construction made flexible it would go as simple as building a pump within a body of water, then supplying it with battery and solar panels. The pump will start producing passive incomes of water and possibly "salt". then the water can be repurposed to water plants, crafting, and other useful functions.

I also had a suggestion for a Tier-2 module called the siphon that if placed on geysers, will produce a steady supply of it's provided resource (oxygen, power, resin).

Yes, I imagined a pump for vast bodies of liquid. However, I would assume that you could deplete some smaller sources of water/valuable fuels which may render the infrastructure built to acquire it as useless (more incentive for exploration).

The geyser idea is clever as well, however I don't think it can last forever because it may remove the need of further exploration for resources.

But yes, a complete liquid mechanic which includes mobile tanks and also pipes built from your base is a must! The current mechanics for power essentially is what is needed for the most part, which greatly reduces the amount of effort needed to make this happen since they already have most of it coded.

Edited by Spencer4678

For general use the terraformer should work, and be able to harvest liquid the same as it can harvest any other material. I like the idea of the pump attachment to the crane for faster harvesting.

I like the idea of the automated pumping station as well. However I think this should be something that has to be researched and is around the "mid-end game" part of the spectrum. Implementing stations that automatically harvest resources would require careful balance, otherwise the game would either go two directions:

1. We have something to do with all the extra resources that is fun, like large scale player to player trading (i.e. get rich), building of space stations etc.

2. The extra resources could just pile up and allow for abusing of current trade post. This could lead to the pumping station being nerfed/slowed and it may be more efficient to just explore for more resources. (which would make the whole station pointless)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 8:49 AM, mikebgator said:

For general use the terraformer should work, and be able to harvest liquid the same as it can harvest any other material. I like the idea of the pump attachment to the crane for faster harvesting.

I like the idea of the automated pumping station as well. However I think this should be something that has to be researched and is around the "mid-end game" part of the spectrum. Implementing stations that automatically harvest resources would require careful balance, otherwise the game would either go two directions:

1. We have something to do with all the extra resources that is fun, like large scale player to player trading (i.e. get rich), building of space stations etc.

2. The extra resources could just pile up and allow for abusing of current trade post. This could lead to the pumping station being nerfed/slowed and it may be more efficient to just explore for more resources. (which would make the whole station pointless)

Yes, everything should be balanced to provide an optimal experience.

Honestly, I think this is one of the most important features that should make it to the game. The feature would heavily complement the industrial/production aspect by allowing for things like pipelines and it would also expand on additional vehicle attachments. A space/physics games would feel very weird and out of place without something so basic, a state of matter ... liquid.

I've already made it clear that the vast majority of the functionality can be duplicated from current systems, this would take little effort (any developer would agree to this). 

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the old IndustrialCraft mod for MineCraft back in the day... It added oil and other fuels to the game that could be pumped and processed through an intricate pumping station, pipeline and eventually a refinery.

Edited by Spencer4678
  • 3 months later...

Kinda off-topic... just make sure you don't "accidentally" drop and detonate dynamite in a pool of liquid hydrazine or any other liquid chemicals...

Seriously, great idea! (it was posted a few months before I joined here, I hadn't seen the post.) I'm not too sure how it fits with what the designers want to do but building some kind of industrial infrastructure would add lots of stuff to experiment and play with.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:49 PM, Lithium said:

Hold up there, that's amazing. That is actually genius, a kind of like, Mine or as you put it 'siphon' you can construct on a node that produces oxygen, energy or resin, I feel like it could probably be a construction kinda like a tile is now, like refinery and the such, but they raises the question of storage, and automation. 

Nevertheless I love the idea. +1 my dude.

I think a way to pump resources out of the ground is a wonderful idea. It would basically make the game a whole lot easier.

So nice suggestion and +1

I don't think it's a good idea to make this game "easier". why else was the trading rocket thing + refueling thing altered. you just build a couple of those and there was nothing you couldn't get. This pumping idea would be like those silly FB farming games and no effort would be needed, just lean back and check in from time to time. I guess they think of something that ruins your hard work (perhaps by those storms) so you need to repair stuff. And/or think of entities that could ruin your buildings? (Please no zombies!) basically the only thing that could kill you at this point is a fall from a high place or stinged to death by a plant due to a warp by low fps :)

3 hours ago, OBELIX:( said:

I don't think it's a good idea to make this game "easier". why else was the trading rocket thing + refueling thing altered. you just build a couple of those and there was nothing you couldn't get. This pumping idea would be like those silly FB farming games and no effort would be needed, just lean back and check in from time to time. I guess they think of something that ruins your hard work (perhaps by those storms) so you need to repair stuff. And/or think of entities that could ruin your buildings? (Please no zombies!) basically the only thing that could kill you at this point is a fall from a high place or stinged to death by a plant due to a warp by low fps :)

Well its not exactly making it easier, the resource mines would already be there, as they are in game as is. The only difference is that it would eliminate the manual mining.
Maybe they could be separate modules you had to put a battery pack on as a way for it to produce its specific resource. Much like an Oil derrick or Quarry in Rust. 
Fuel/Energy goes in, product comes out. With each tick equating to a energy and resource value of course. This could vary between each resource. 

39 minutes ago, Th0rn said:

Maybe they could be separate modules you had to put a battery pack on as a way for it to produce its specific resource.

Maybe fuel these auto extractors with hydrazine?  Uses one canister per day/night cycle with the timing based on Terran planet rotation regardless of the planet you are on?

1 hour ago, Kantanshi said:

Maybe fuel these auto extractors with hydrazine?  Uses one canister per day/night cycle with the timing based on Terran planet rotation regardless of the planet you are on?

Yea that makes sense, like 'Hyrazine Powered Drills', it eliminates a possible cheese method of just stickin' a solar panel on it thinking it'll be fine and dandy forever.
Gives the player a task to still maintain it by refueling it rather than give it infinite energy and forget about it and come back to several hundred bundles of a resource. 
I like this.