Spaham

how does the game work when you build and run it on a Mac ?

Hi !

I'm not asking when it'll be out, but I'd like to have the devs' input on how a Mac runtime works.

Is Unreal not as cross-platform as they say ?

Have you tried internal builds ? Do many new bugs pop up that are different from the PC/XBox builds ?

thanks ! 

Personally I assume the issue is not the compatibility per se, but rather the performance in general. Even if UE4 supports all those platforms out of the box, it won't matter unless the hardware can actually handle the game. Considering we currently have major performance issues with Windows and Xbox One, Mac "support" would have added even more trouble, so it'll take time.

The UE4 engine has been giving some mac game porting houses a fit of a time making it work well. Generally, theres loss in performance due to the api's and lacking support under the OSX umbrella.

This article by aspyr has some interesting info on the subject: https://blog.aspyr.com/2016/11/01/state-mac-gaming/

They have dealt with UE4 engine ports. As do Feral Interactive.

Interesting read.   The same issue that mac's have is similar but slightly less limited to pc laptops and notebooks.  The power constraints, the thin builds etc.. don't really cater for powerful gpus that run at optimum, without overheating.   Which is why all laptop cpu/gpus have a list of letters after them denoting their weakness.  The majority, run around 1-2 Ghz slower than their desktop companions.  That's nearly a 50% drop in performance.  Yet people are still buying expensive i7's and high end gpu's expecting the same perf as a desktop.

For many games, initally starting the game, loading different areas etc is fine, but when you're playing a game that loads huge areas or allows a game map to become full of units over time.. that's when you really see a huge difference between desktop and laptop/notebook perf.  Many games are advertised on the first 1-2 hours of gameplay.. not the avg 8-12 hours most players can play for.

Macs will have a similar issue, probably loading games and working fine for a few hours.. after that, you're gambling.

Edited by Martin

My goal, really, wasn't about moaning for a mac version, but to hear the dev's input on all this :)

I'm a developer myself, and I've been weighting between unity/unreal for cross platform game dev.

I think from general responce people like unity for quality and unreal for ease of use/tools etc.  The orignal unity ver of astroneer looks amazing.. hopefully they'll be able to update the unreal ver to the same level of detail.  Whilst gaining all the extra options.

1 minute ago, Martin said:

I think from general responce people like unity for quality and unreal for ease of use/tools etc.  The orignal unity ver of astroneer looks amazing.. hopefully they'll be able to update the unreal ver to the same level of detail.  Whilst gaining all the extra options.

That's an interesting intricate/cross quality ! 

Check out their first or maybe second stream, adam explains why they switched exactly, my old brain doesn't remember details very well.   Look on youtube for Ses_dev videos.

Just now, Martin said:

Check out their first or maybe second stream, adam explains why they switched exactly, my old brain doesn't remember details very well.   Look on youtube for Ses_dev videos.

thanks ! I will :) 

Just now, Martin said:

Oh and don't search on ses.. lol, you'll get something completely different.

ok, now I have to search

This is so ironic ... on the KSP forums, people have bitched for years about Unity's limitations, fantasizing about the developers suddenly porting the game to the Unreal engine instead, lol.

Edited by LameLefty