Introducing a tutorial to the game

When you begin the game, you are shown a space station and you're given the choice of 4 characters or a previously saved game. Launching the game, your capsule or habitat lands on the planet and away you go.

So I was thinking by changing it up a bit, you can introduce a tutorial to the game much easier.

Here's the idea.

Instead of the space station, you're shown a spaceship traveling the cosmos and all of a sudden, you're struck by something, maybe a asteroid or some debris. Causing your ship to disintegrate near this planet but before it breaks apart over the planet you eject with an escape pod and dissent towards the planet.

You crash land on this planet and the escape pod crashes into a mountain, punching a hole into the caves inside the mountain and collapsing the hole behind you. The escape pod finally stops and is lodged into the wall or into the ground whatever. And that's where you begin your tutorial.

This is where you are introduced to the deform tool. Needing to escape from the collapse mountain or caves.

That's it,

I'm torn on this point, as I developed things like filters and didn't know what to do with them.

I found myself tabbing over to the wiki and getting all my answers there. This helped me avoid building things that I have no use for or couldn't use yet (e.g. I didn't want to build a drill as I hadn't researched trucks or crane yet). But if I didn't have the wiki/a tutorial, I'd have a bunch of crap built and sitting around useless because I wouldn't know how to use it. I may even end up strapped for resources because I built things out of order and used up resources unnecessarily.

I realize not everyone can tab over to wiki or wants to.

Out on Youtube, some dude put together like a 25min tutorial on using trucks...invaluable sharing of information. This saved me from a major headache of having to dork around with this myself and mess it up and thus have to produce 10 trucks till I figured out the "best" combination that worked for me.

22 hours ago, Jeremiah Schwartz said:

Ok.  I can see that.  But I personally despise being "tutorial'd" in a game. I prefer to be given the chance to figure it out myself. 

I agree with you, that why most game, no all but most give you the choice of skipping the tutorial.

On 01/02/2017 at 11:07 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

You crash land on this planet and the escape pod crashes into a mountain, punching a hole into the caves inside the mountain and collapsing the hole behind you. The escape pod finally stops and is lodged into the wall or into the ground whatever. And that's where you begin your tutorial.

I can't see this as a good idea. Your habitat is your escape pod, and you'd be literally forced to develop a base inside a mountain every single game. What if you skipped the tutorial? According to your idea, the game would simply be forced to be set in a mountain so the players could learn about the deforming tool, and that seems way too forced.

What I do think the game need is a in-game item description. Nothing too fancy, maybe the Research facility could help. Creating items and putting them in there for the players understandment about its functionality. 

On 01/02/2017 at 11:31 AM, Jeremiah Schwartz said:

Ok.  I can see that.  But I personally despise being "tutorial'd" in a game. I prefer to be given the chance to figure it out myself. 

My adaptation to this idea would bring both of the opposing points. It would help players to figure out and encourage creativity/curiosity, and at the same time give players edge for some information.

21 hours ago, Kano said:

I can't see this as a good idea. Your habitat is your escape pod, and you'd be literally forced to develop a base inside a mountain every single game. What if you skipped the tutorial? According to your idea, the game would simply be forced to be set in a mountain so the players could learn about the deforming tool, and that seems way too forced.

What I do think the game need is a in-game item description. Nothing too fancy, maybe the Research facility could help. Creating items and putting them in there for the players understandment about its functionality.

Well, the current habitat is just that, it is shown as a capsule but if you look at Paul Pepera. "3D Artist"  previous tweet. He describes as the Mark II Dropship. It just a game asset but I'm guessing that it will probably be used for multiplayer as a dropship.

I didn't say you had to build a base in the mountain but some people may want to do that. The mountain was just an example of a situation that would require you learn how to use the deform tool. It could have been crashing into a cave or just crashed into rocks, use your imagination.

I do agree with you about being forced to deploy a habitat where you land. That's why I think the game would be better off having an escape pod instead of a dropship as a habitat. That way you could place it in the mountain if you want or place in the cave or even place it in open.

You know.. we could instead have a rather Simple tutorial with a floating message that tells the movement, sprint, deform tool with it's alternate modes. Then once the player get the basic, A message will appear telling the player to find compund, then craft tether, and place them around. It could give us some tips like

• Suggesting the player to find resin first
  • Adding checklist to build a research module when first picking up an Unknown Object
  • Help the astroneer to find a cave
  • Giving a small warning when first encountering a hostile lifeform

And this is just some example

On 03/02/2017 at 11:09 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

Well, the current habitat is just that, it is shown as a capsule but if you look at Paul Pepera. "3D Artist"  previous tweet. He describes as the Mark II Dropship. It just a game asset but I'm guessing that it will probably be used for multiplayer as a dropship.

I didn't say you had to build a base in the mountain but some people may want to do that. The mountain was just an example of a situation that would require you learn how to use the deform tool. It could have been crashing into a cave or just crashed into rocks, use your imagination.

Oh. I thought it would be the real in-game tutorial as a mountain, not an example. So it's a good idea.

On 03/02/2017 at 11:09 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

I do agree with you about being forced to deploy a habitat where you land. That's why I think the game would be better off having an escape pod instead of a dropship as a habitat. That way you could place it in the mountain if you want or place in the cave or even place it in open.

The problem is the Habitat itself for this idea. The problem is that the Habitat is made to settle in the place it lands right now. It doesn't have to be a escape pod; you would just come out of the Habitat without settling it, and having it falling in the ground and such. It would be pretty neat, coming out of the Habitat falling randomly on the floor.

On 03/02/2017 at 0:57 PM, Lithium said:

You know.. we could instead have a rather Simple tutorial with a floating message that tells the movement, sprint, deform tool with it's alternate modes. Then once the player get the basic, A message will appear telling the player to find compund, then craft tether, and place them around. It could give us some tips like

• Suggesting the player to find resin first
  • Adding checklist to build a research module when first picking up an Unknown Object
  • Help the astroneer to find a cave
  • Giving a small warning when first encountering a hostile lifeform

And this is just some example

I agree that there should be some floating messages on the game, but not the game tips for progression. Part of the game is about exploration and discovery, removing it would remove the whole point of exploring possibilities and finding new things.

1 hour ago, Kano said:

The problem is the Habitat itself for this idea. The problem is that the Habitat is made to settle in the place it lands right now. It doesn't have to be a escape pod; you would just come out of the Habitat without settling it, and having it falling in the ground and such. It would be pretty neat, coming out of the Habitat falling randomly on the floor.

The escape pod could be just that, you get out of it and it stays there. Maybe it has some survival equipment like a portable habitat. When deployed it looks like a half bubble room for four instead of one.

This reminds me of the first time I played with my friend, the storm was hitting us and I jumped into the habitat and all I can hear from him was " Let me in, let me in" and all I could do is laugh.

23 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

The escape pod could be just that, you get out of it and it stays there. Maybe it has some survival equipment like a portable habitat. When deployed it looks like a half bubble room for four instead of one.

Actually, the Habitat is somehow already portable, since you can carry it around. It does not get in your inventory, but it is somehow portable.

The bubble is somehow something that I feel unnecessary. It would change the game-start and such.

This reminds me of the first time I played with my friend, the storm was hitting us and I jumped into the habitat and all I can hear from him was " Let me in, let me in" and all I could do is laugh.

You're a bad person and you're going to hell.

See you there.

Bwuhahahahah!

game's theme is about discovery, 

i don't know if you really need a tutorial other than what's already been in, minimalistic pointers and suggestions. 

I understand the game is all about discovery, but you have the plans pre-built into your backpack for a "tank" with no explanation given.  At first, I wasn't sure if it was an air tank or a fuel tank (it was a while before I came across hydrazine).  If, when you hovered your mouse over the spot that you would click to craft a tank, it had a translucent word bubble saying "portable air tank; same size your suit comes with" or something to that effect, that would be awesome.  I don't recall being confused about any of the others you could make with your pack (except tethers--I thought they would be like rope to stop you from falling or something--like an actual tether is) but having something similar--a sort of item description, I guess--seems like a logical extension of that.

Also, I think it would be less annoying than a more formalized tutorial, since, by and large, it wouldn't get in the way of gameplay, and everyone's kind of used to item descriptions.

On the subject of tutorials, there's a discussion thread here on pause buttons and save tutorials.  The relevant (tutorial) bits can be summarized as: when I started the game, I didn't know how to save.  I wish I'd known that when I started.  Also, does anything besides getting in a habitat or seat save the game?  I still don't know for sure.

And there's my thoughts on the matter.