Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR)

This has happened to me a few times now. I'm in a cave, digging up the deposits on the ground. It's a large deposit, so I have to dig down more than normal. Suddenly there's no ground beneath me anymore, just a big drop into another cave underneath. The fall kills me, losing me everything I had in my backpack.

Ground-penetrating Radar uses high-frequency radio waves to build up a picture of what's beneath the surface. This is a technology that exists today, used for mapping out anything that's underground, all without even having to dig for it. My suggestion is that our Astroneer should be able to craft some kind of early warning system based on GPR. This device (insert suitable suggestion for a name here) could be acquired via research, then built via the backpack's micro-3D printer. The GPR would be placed into his backpack and would emit both an audible and visual alert when there is a void or cave directly beneath them. If placed on a vehicle it could be used to help the player detect where there is a cave near the surface, tipping the, off to a possible nearby enterance.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Ground-penetrating Radar, here's its entry on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar

1+ for the minecraft rule. Survival means, dealing with the unknown. So let there be hazards that need careful handling and foresight.

I think GPR would be useful for locating resources! If it was handheld it shouldn't be immensely powerful, simply able to determine a resource maybe 10-15 feet in the ground. However a large GPR unit that could attach to the crane or truck could be much more powerful and be a nice non invasive way to look for resources.