MrPlayerz

Do I Get To Keep Astroneer

I have been having a lot of fun playing Astroneer recently and I am very impressed that this game is only in pre-alpha! I can't wait to see what comes next. But I had a question, I bought the early access version of Astroneer for 20 dollars. Does this mean I get the full game when it is ready? Or do I have to pay 60 dollars to get the full game?

Thanks

MrPlayerz

Usually when you buy a game in early access, you get each update at no charge all the way until the game is in full release. 

In the case of Kerbal Space Program, they are currently still providing updates (features/content) at no charge for those of us who bought it during early access... and that game was at full release nearly two years ago.

I'm sorry, but does that mean I do get the full game or not when it releases? I'm a big fan and I want to plan out how I am going to spend my money. 

Thanks

MrPlayerz

Yes you get the full game.  The way it works is, the developers release occasional updates (also known as "patches") during this early access phase.  Everyone who bought the early access version gets these patches. 

So as time goes on these patches are converting your game bit by bit, literally, into the full version.  When they finally get to full release (version 1.0), you won't have to download the game again...  because by that time everyone who bought the early access version will have the full version due to all the patches.

Only people who did not buy the early access version will have to pay $60 for the full version.

Okay thanks for the information. Keep up the good work on the game! I am absolutely loving it right now. Only wish is that there were more planets, but it is only pre-alpha so it will probably come along.

Thanks again!

MrPlayerz

Woah... this game is 60 dollars in full?? Wow I'm glad I bout it Early Access then.

In all fairness, I don't know what the full release price will be.  I only said $60 because that's what the original post said.  If I had to guess, I would put it somewhere around $40.

I've never heard of an ea ever demanding a new sale on release.  So if you've been there since the start, you get to keep it.

In the case of open/closed betas, where you usually just join a website, make bug reports and download a free version, then you always have to buy it on release.  This is usually the case with mmo's for example.  In rare cases, the mmo dev may send you a release key as a thankyou.

That said.. there's one or two games out there, in ea/kickstart, that try to push you into continually paying money for new ships and silly cosmetic dlc's.  That aren't even released yet and that's probably worse.

Edited by Martin