Lithium

Most Frequent Suggestion + Confirmed Features

Wyvyrias

This thread is no longer being maintained and will eventually be replaced by a new one. The majority of the information is still relevant, though.

Message added by Wyvyrias

7 hours ago, TehSmoo said:

Do you mean "no outright lethal stuff" more specifically?  Because I can think of a few guns that really aren't, and lots of things that are very violent, and not technically "guns."  Like what Subnautica did with the (mostly) non-lethal torpedoes and repulsion "cannon."

Correct.
This is about lethal weaponry. The kind of tools intended to kill.
Anything that could be used for killing, but was made for a different task in mind, wouldn't qualify as gun/weapon.

It's just like you can use dynamite to blow up people, but that's not the use it was intended for.

17 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Correct.
This is about lethal weaponry. The kind of tools intended to kill.
Anything that could be used for killing, but was made for a different task in mind, wouldn't qualify as gun/weapon.

It's just like you can use dynamite to blow up people, but that's not the use it was intended for.

Ok, like Subnautica, then.  It's a decent limitation, it's WAY more interesting to not *just* pewpew your way out of any interaction.  Like trapping, outrunning, or teleporting enemies.

...Of course, I *did* rack up a lot of kills with that Seamoth AOE and the knife in Subnautica, if anything does damage, people tend to use it to the maximum possible extent, and beyond.  :D

On 7/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, TehSmoo said:

Ok, like Subnautica, then.  It's a decent limitation, it's WAY more interesting to not *just* pewpew your way out of any interaction.  Like trapping, outrunning, or teleporting enemies.

...Of course, I *did* rack up a lot of kills with that Seamoth AOE and the knife in Subnautica, if anything does damage, people tend to use it to the maximum possible extent, and beyond.  :D

I was on the verge of suggesting a flamethrower/blowtorch for the direct conversion of organic mass (flora), into carbon. Instead of using the inhibitor, collecting organic, and then processing it - players could just burn flora, but at the cost of a lower material ratio. Excellent for collecting medium generator fuel on the go... akin to Subnautica's Thermoblade.

Alas, I fear that is too much like a gun, and wouldn't ever be considered. :|

At least I'd like some sort of portable converter... like a generator except it passively processes material at the cost of power. After collecting organic, a little trip back to the base, and all your organic is already converted to carbon for ease of use.

Edited by Wedge

On 9/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Wedge said:

I was on the verge of suggesting a flamethrower/blowtorch for the direct conversion of organic mass (flora), into carbon. Instead of using the inhibitor, collecting organic, and then processing it - players could just burn flora, but at the cost of a lower material ratio. Excellent for collecting medium generator fuel on the go... akin to Subnautica's Thermoblade.

Alas, I fear that is too much like a gun, and wouldn't ever be considered. :|

At least I'd like some sort of portable converter... like a generator except it passively processes material at the cost of power. After collecting organic, a little trip back to the base, and all your organic is already converted to carbon for ease of use.

Well, keep in mind, there doesn't seem to BE a weapon switch system.

Could work, though- another mining-gun upgrade module, that converts it into a flamethrower?  Primarily for making organic-bearing stuff into carbon, with a secondary use of some damage?  Like the flamethrower in Alien Isolation, it doesn't have to DO damage, it could just activate a "flee" routine in enemies instead.

Flame+boost = range

Flame+wide = wider!

Inhibitor knocks the carbon loose as it changes.

But mostly, lighting stuff on fire.  Fire.  Eheeheheh.  Light too, I guess?  Inefficient.

Then, you pick up all the carbon nodules lying around, and take it back to base.

Edited by TehSmoo

6 hours ago, TehSmoo said:

Well, keep in mind, there doesn't seem to BE a weapon switch system.

Could work, though- another mining-gun upgrade module, that converts it into a flamethrower?  Primarily for making organic-bearing stuff into carbon, with a secondary use of some damage?  Like the flamethrower in Alien Isolation, it doesn't have to DO damage, it could just activate a "flee" routine in enemies instead.

Flame+boost = range

Flame+wide = wider!

Inhibitor knocks the carbon loose as it changes.

But mostly, lighting stuff on fire.  Fire.  Eheeheheh.  Light too, I guess?  Inefficient.

Then, you pick up all the carbon nodules lying around, and take it back to base.

That’s an interesting concept. The terrain tool Incendiary mod could accept canisters, like an adapter. 

Of course, the fuel would have to be petroleum/hydrocarbon based. Chemistry wise, that would likely be made from organic + carbon. An added benefit, organic would be needed for burning stuff, so it self limits the over application of flames. 

This is also a method of derbies clearing not dependent on portable power, like the Inhibitor. Early in the game when lithium is still rare, batteries are a premium. Having a way to remotely collect lots of carbon for medium generators would be nice.

Edited by Wedge

4 hours ago, Wedge said:

That’s an interesting concept. The terrain tool Incendiary mod could accept canisters, like an adapter. 

Of course, the fuel would have to be petroleum/hydrocarbon based. Chemistry wise, that would likely be made from organic + carbon. An added benefit, organic would be needed for burning stuff, so it self limits the over application of flames. 

This is also a method of derbies clearing not dependent on portable power, like the Inhibitor. Early in the game when lithium is still rare, batteries are a premium. Having a way to remotely collect lots of carbon for medium generators would be nice.

Nah.  A laser can light things on fire just fine.  If you can increase the temperature on nearly anything, you can make it oxidize (assuming the presence of oxygen...).

Look at balance here, requiring power is pretty much enough, since you just toss organic into a furnace and wait, anyway.  If you add all these steps, it becomes pointless, since it would be easier and faster to just burn organic in a furnace anyway.

20 minutes ago, TehSmoo said:

Nah.  A laser can light things on fire just fine.  If you can increase the temperature on nearly anything, you can make it oxidize (assuming the presence of oxygen...).

Look at balance here, requiring power is pretty much enough, since you just toss organic into a furnace and wait, anyway.  If you add all these steps, it becomes pointless, since it would be easier and faster to just burn organic in a furnace anyway.

Hmmm, a directed energy device is exactly what some would define as a weapon/gun. Having a consumable along with power needed to run an augment is better towards management; requiring player to balance resources. It also meshes better Astroneer's themes. I tied it in with a suggestion elsewhere concerning the addition of Ethanol production. 

Basically, an Incendiary/Laser augment is very unlikely, but the ability to project different substances isn't far fetched. Fluids like Ethanol have sanitizing properties that might be useful in dissolving invasive bio-matter. Expanding on it, Astroneers could spray adhesive to entrap dangerous fauna. There are plenty of implements that could allow the use of force, but not constitute a weapon. 

Edited by Wedge

12 hours ago, Wedge said:

Hmmm, a directed energy device is exactly what some would define as a weapon/gun. Having a consumable along with power needed to run an augment is better towards management; requiring player to balance resources. It also meshes better Astroneer's themes. I tied it in with a suggestion elsewhere concerning the addition of Ethanol production. 

Basically, an Incendiary/Laser augment is very unlikely, but the ability to project different substances isn't far fetched. Fluids like Ethanol have sanitizing properties that might be useful in dissolving invasive bio-matter. Expanding on it, Astroneers could spray adhesive to entrap dangerous fauna. There are plenty of implements that could allow the use of force, but not constitute a weapon. 

Larry Niven uses flashlight-lasers a few times.

It's a small handheld device.  It can, on low power and high spread be a flashlight.  Low power low spread is a laser pointer.  High power high spread can be used to cook food or start fires.  High power low spread can be used to cauterize and separate... "many things".

3/4 of the uses are mostly non-weapon, so he includes it on the "scientific" Ringworld expedition, run by coward Puppeteers.  Previously that an "unarmed" human colony ship cut a Kzin warship in half.  Totally not a weapon.  Honest.

Heck, I kill plants and those... dangly underground thingies all the time, just by digging them out.  The mining device  is a gun too.  It fires negative ground.  A "carbon maker" just needs to be marginally ineffective at discouraging fauna.  It can still convert flora into carbon-rich material, right?

Edited by TehSmoo

8 hours ago, TehSmoo said:

Larry Niven uses flashlight-lasers a few times.

It's a small handheld device.  It can, on low power and high spread be a flashlight.  Low power low spread is a laser pointer.  High power high spread can be used to cook food or start fires.  High power low spread can be used to cauterize and separate... "many things".

3/4 of the uses are mostly non-weapon, so he includes it on the "scientific" Ringworld expedition, run by coward Puppeteers.  Previously that an "unarmed" human colony ship cut a Kzin warship in half.  Totally not a weapon.  Honest.

Heck, I kill plants and those... dangly underground thingies all the time, just by digging them out.  The mining device  is a gun too.  It fires negative ground.  A "carbon maker" just needs to be marginally ineffective at discouraging fauna.  It can still convert flora into carbon-rich material, right?

I suppose a Herbicidal/Debris laser isn’t out of the question (especially considering many space agencies have investigated space junk removal via lasers ). It just seems like something relying purely on energy supplants the Inhibitor; however, I did originally pose that there would be some loss in organic-carbon conversion compared to the Smelter. Still, if there needs to be a consumable, laser diodes/arrays that burn out after extended use would suffice.

And as you mentioned, Astroneer has lots of megafauna that can’t be removed without glitching them through terrain (shame they can’t be replanted). With this proposed Debris Augment, players could incinerate large plants, and perhaps other kinds of hostile fauna. Of course, trying to dazzle another Astroneer wouldn’t have any effect, as their suits are assuredly resistant to relatively low-intensity radiation. Astroneers right out have suits they risk exposing naked to the vacuum of space, meaning it has to be a very resistant material. 

Where are you lithium? Are you gone? Sad.

14 hours ago, Wedge said:

I suppose a Herbicidal/Debris laser isn’t out of the question (especially considering many space agencies have investigated space junk removal via lasers ). It just seems like something relying purely on energy supplants the Inhibitor; however, I did originally pose that there would be some loss in organic-carbon conversion compared to the Smelter. Still, if there needs to be a consumable, laser diodes/arrays that burn out after extended use would suffice.

And as you mentioned, Astroneer has lots of megafauna that can’t be removed without glitching them through terrain (shame they can’t be replanted). With this proposed Debris Augment, players could incinerate large plants, and perhaps other kinds of hostile fauna. Of course, trying to dazzle another Astroneer wouldn’t have any effect, as their suits are assuredly resistant to relatively low-intensity radiation. Astroneers right out have suits they risk exposing naked to the vacuum of space, meaning it has to be a very resistant material. 

How about instead, the small generator producing coal as well as the furnace. This way there is no need for an augment that is controversial but the generators become over powered. With some tweaks it would work.

1 minute ago, The Tox said:

How about instead, the small generator producing coal as well as the furnace. This way there is no need for an augment that is controversial but the generators become over powered. With some tweaks it would work.

What about it is controversial? The entire idea was to have mobile carbon gathering for medium generators. 

It is controversial as it could be used as a weapon. Also instead of the small generator being op, there could be a b type that has this upgrade that has a good byte value.

14 minutes ago, The Tox said:

It is controversial as it could be used as a weapon.

As can Dynamite and Hydrazine canisters.

It is just a suggestion. One of countable other ideas. Your idea is controversial, which is my opinion, and you think my opinion is incorrect. That is an opinion. I just thought since weapons were not allowed, it could be considered controversial (again my opinion).  I am sorry if you think I meant it as an insult. I was just suggesting my idea and tried to show how your idea was worse. This happens in debates and arguments. I meant nothing personal.

Also since hydrazine and dynamite can cause damage, wouldn’t fall damage also be similar as you can kill someone while exploring?

On 9/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Wedge said:

2 hours ago, The Tox said:

It is just a suggestion. One of countable other ideas. Your idea is controversial, which is my opinion, and you think my opinion is incorrect. That is an opinion. I just thought since weapons were not allowed, it could be considered controversial (again my opinion).  I am sorry if you think I meant it as an insult. I was just suggesting my idea and tried to show how your idea was worse. This happens in debates and arguments. I meant nothing personal.

Also since hydrazine and dynamite can cause damage, wouldn’t fall damage also be similar as you can kill someone while exploring?

As you can see, I suggested pretty much the same thing earlier, but after thinking about it on my own time, I'd decided that particular concept was too convoluted, and its purpose was too narrow. A Derbies Laser, like the limited application of the Laser Cutter from Subnautica, would only be powerful enough to remove plant matter.

While we are on what counts as weapons/damaging things, what about the fire from the furnace?

also I am sorry but I did not see that post and as such I thought I was the original. Also the small generator type b would only use organic to make power and create carbon as a waste product.

Edited by The Tox

i see a problem with online severs  if they come random players will steal your resources you'll need a way to stop that like a banning system or weapons (doesn't have to be guns it could be knifes)and i don"t mean op weapons they could just do very little damage to players

6 minutes ago, papa said:

i see a problem with online severs  if they come random players will steal your resources you'll need a way to stop that like a banning system or weapons (doesn't have to be guns it could be knifes)and i don"t mean op weapons they could just do very little damage to players

Or we could just have servers where we can control who joins the game. Stop asking for weapons friend, you've been told it's not going to happen! 

Hello, dear System Era Softworks! I am an astroneer player on XBOX One, I think that local multiplayer is a great idea! I wish that you add the ability to play on one console. Thanjs for reading! (Sorry for my english)

Wondering if the devs will fancy having some type of dumbwaiter...say I wanted to dig straight down so far and start exploring. My backpack gets full and I still need to collect, hmm I rode the dumbwaiter(fits one player as if he was seated in a single seat or hiding in your habitat) but can also use to store 2-6 small items or one medium item. The dumbwaiter would need source of power of course. Power or some type of pulley system. It should be a fair amount of bytes though still requires a few strong resources thus having you leave terran in order to build.